What's new

Shoei X-14, or GT-Air II?

Oldtrix

Adventurer in my own mind
ADV+
Member Number
I'm shopping for a new helmet. I have a Shoei head, so it's down to these 2 models. My current helmet is an X-12, and it's getting old and visors are becoming a PITA to source at reasonable prices. It's been a great helmet, no complaints, but it could use a little more ventilation in the summer heat.

I've been eyeing the Air II as it has the built-in sunshade and Sena integrations, and, well, more air. The Air II is DOT, while the X-14 is Snell rated.

Has anyone spent any saddle time with both and have any opinions/comparisons? Is the flip-down shade gimmicky/unreliable? Should I worry about the DOT only rating for the Air II?

This is for spirited paved/dirt road riding on my GSA.

I'm a fan of Shoei helmets and have two-one (RF1200) still currently being used. Of the two you mention, I'd want the Air 2.

Still, I would not buy the Air, or any other helmet, because of the dual shield.

Shoei lids fit my fat, round head better han any of the others. Just replaced my 5-year old RF1200 with the new RF1400. I'm happy with it. I considered the Neotec II and the GT-Air II but ended up going with the 1400 because of the Snell rating. Who knows, the rating may not be worth the paper it's printed on, but if I go ass over tea kettle I want the best rated gear.... As motocopter mentioned, the internal shield will displace some of the foam in front of your frontal lobe. For what it's worth, I wear a Size L in the RF1200 and the L fit me in the RF1400, Neotec and GT-Air as well. Sizing seems consistent across all three...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom