What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

Wasn't comfortable unloading my pockets and laying the pistol on it's side every day. There's no safe direction to point it and don't really want to have to unload it constantly. So decided to park it vertically instead. Scrap chunk of tulip poplar and the nipple is soft aluminum.

IMG_20230903_194401320.jpg

IMG_20230903_194500578.jpg

IMG_20230903_194516079.jpg

Even though I could look it up. What are the differences between 338 Lapua and Win-Mag? What are the benefits to either one and their downsides? One obvious downside is the price of the ammo.

[UWSL]The 300 Win Mag has less recoil and a slightly flatter trajectory at normal hunting ranges, but typical 338 loads have 15%+ more muzzle energy and about 20% more frontal surface area.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]
1695385198016.png
[/UWSL]

300WM will do all North American Game. It should be noted the min legal Africa caliber is 375HH MAG. So those are the bookends needed as a big game hunter.

on the subject of 300 win mag, i was hell bent on getting one fast flat trajectory kind of fitted in with my fast flat trajectory round choices of . 22250 fast flatish without the barrel errosion of the swift or the 22/243 middlestead , 2506 rem fast flat without the going for a rare wetherby round, and 7mm rem mag fast flat and again not like the rarer wetherbys. The 300 win mag was a great idea until i used one and i found the recoil was actually quite unpleasant for me with 190 grain reloader 22 reloads. it was much more than the 7mm mag and i decided to pass on the 300 win mag, i can only imagine the 338 lapua being mean on recoil. And i was born into wildfowling with 4gauge and 8 gauge shotguns with 3 oz+ loads so i have been kicked hard a few times.

I am a fan of 300wm, and with a bench rifle it is fine. Plus when you add a can it takes a lot of the recoil out of it.

An ultralight chassis for hunting chambered on 300wm is not ideal for the range

With the exception of CA compliant .22LR 1911s, I have never seen one chambered in 45ACP for less than $600. I wonder what my Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced would fetch in today's climate.

I've been lacking with that particular firearm, but I do remember fondly, spending an afternoon with a gold cup keeping some villainous bowling pins at bay.

The only metallic cased shot shells I’ve ever used are.22LR. I know those won’t cycle a 10/22.

Gun laws here are getting worse, its on the cards to make brass cases and any reloading component illegal if you do not have that calibre of weopon on your licence. A stray brass case you might have picked up or been given for say a 45105 sharps or a 50 BMG etc could land you in court soon. Its been through the lords and just needs charlie to sign it and it will be law.

time to pack up and move to a gun friendly place

:hide

Gun laws here are getting worse, its on the cards to make brass cases and any reloading component illegal if you do not have that calibre of weopon on your licence. A stray brass case you might have picked up or been given for say a 45105 sharps or a 50 BMG etc could land you in court soon. Its been through the lords and just needs charlie to sign it and it will be law.

God help someone who has one of these then.

1697312009126.png

Top Bottom Back Refresh