What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

Yep, the MagGuts kits use a z style spring. Plastic follower, though. Good on them for getting a patent on it. S&W would be smart to source springs from MagGuts and advertise that fact on the box. Plus, magazine capacity would instantly increase 2rds with zero further R&D costs on S&W's behalf. Reputation boost and better performance for free = win/win

Old Trusty beside it's replacement. Feels wrong not grabbing the CZ in the morning 😔 Impressive though, that the CZ is 8+1 and the marginally larger S&W is 15+1. Handy for us troublemakers 😂
IMG_20220810_134538586.jpg

Well that first one is wonderful - I really should have bought one when they were being offered as surplus. Second one is pretty damned good.

I found my order, and it is a Magguts. I guess back then, or for the single-stack, it was a metal follower. You're right on the money with suggesting they use and advertise that they are using Magguts' springs. This would be like International trucks, after bankrupting too many of their customers (from INTL's engine designs), and nearly themselves, coming to the conclusion that using Cummins engines, AND advertising that they are using Cummins engines, was in their best interest.

1665073569934.png

1665073569934.png
That's a cool shot, but not repeatable reliably. With a team of spotters like those used, I might be able to make a .22 hit out at 3/4 a mile for every 150 rounds shot.

Reactions: CTG
someone will spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of rds to get to 4.5 mi.

a nice record nonetheless

Im lucky to put 3 /10 on target at 1000 yds.

someone will spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of rds to get to 4.5 mi.

a nice record nonetheless

Im lucky to put 3 /10 on target at 1000 yds.
I'm pretty sure I don't have 1,000yds of clear land to even try that. Honestly can't even visualize shooting that far.

I'm also someone who needs a scope to shoot squirrels at 20yds, so... perspective 😁

Reactions: MVI
What are we noticing here? I'm right-handed, and the monolithic polymer lower is set up as a right-handed shooter.
Ah, thought you had a LH or ambidextrous safety selector switch. I just looked at my AR and realized that is the RH side. I am just too accustomed to using the RH one.

I picked up a S&W pistol recently. I'm not a gun aficionado. I'm not sure what it's even called. Been carrying an old police issue CZ for ages ( still my most favorite gun I've ever owned) but .32 ammo is just impossible to find. Stopped in a gunshop to randomly see about getting some .32, got frustrated and decided to just buy a damn 9mm already. I've got nerve damage in my right hand from a wood carving accident and am not much good with a pistol anymore. But at 20 yds I can hold 4-6" groups with this new S&W pistol. Im usually lucky to hit a stop sign at 20yds when one handing a pistol. I dunno why it works so good for me, it just does.

But man, this gun was a mess right out of the box. Grouped great, but shot 18" low at only 15 yds and the 13rd mag would jam up the gun if you ran more than 10 rds in it. Feed pressure was so bad it'd literally lock the slide up. Sent it back to S&W and they agreed the sights were a mess. They fixed all that but scratch the hell out of the gun in the process. They also, apparently, had to dab white paint in the sight dots and had paint dots on the slide 😂 I'm gonna beat the shit out of the thing with it rattling around in lunchboxes, saddle bags, etc...but c'mon.

Funniest part was talking on the phone with customer service and explaining the magazine feeding/jamming issues. A quick trip around Google says they've been fighting this for a long time, so S&W are aware. Anyway, I told the fella that my gun jams if I run more than 10rds in the 13rd clip. One of the most memorable conversations of my life....

" Just run ten rounds then"

" Buts it's advertised as holding 13"

"It does hold 13"

"Yeah, but you can't fire it with 13 because it'll jam"

"Then run 10"

"I don't think that's how it's supposed to work"

"I'm just trying to give you a reasonable solution "

"I don't think that's a reasonable solution "

I kid you not, this was his response...

"Look, I don't know where you hang out. But if you're regularly finding yourself needing more than ten rounds of ammo to get yourself out of a situation then maybe you need to reconsider the places you go"

😂😂😂 Could not help but to laugh at him for a very long time.

His supervisor ended admitting that their mag springs aren't up to the task and they've been struggling with it for some time. He sent me a $50 gift card so I could buy a MagGuts kit to fix my pistol, which it did....while adding another two rounds! Can't help but thinking that S&W simply needs to contract MagGuts to make all their mag springs for them as S&W can't figure it out and patent laws are protecting the design.

Moral of the story: S&W is a bit of a mess these days. The damn thing sure does shoot good though.

3 decades ago, SW had lifetime warranty, even on BBL, even if you shot out a bbl.

AOUT bought them along with 30 other brands and ruined them, design and wty went to hell

1667586750393.png

then SW was split back off , I hope they get their shit together again.

I have a 12ga similar to that for a few years. Rural King has them for under 100, includes 3 screw in chokes. Very lite! Killed a few deer with it. Now use the shorty shells around the farm, typically for varmints. Adjustable sights.

I have a 12ga similar to that for a few years. Rural King has them for under 100, includes 3 screw in chokes. Very lite! Killed a few deer with it. Now use the shorty shells around the farm, typically for varmints. Adjustable sights.

next time I am in Tennessee, I'll swing by RK and have a look

FYI: KE Arms is in what seems to be an un-just lawsuit. During its quest to create a modern polymer AR15 lower, KE had bought the rights to the Cav Arms, GWACS lowers that are no longer being made. Then then sold that to someone - who, it turns out, is an activist investor who only wants to see firearm companies fail.

KE Arms is being outspent before the court date even comes around, and may go our of business after having created the best, most modern polymer lowers ever made (one of which is in my post above).

Top Bottom Back Refresh