What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

Yeah, something like 88 out of their 120 counties said they wouldn't enforce an unconstitutional law.

Obviously the majority of the population in Illinois does not share the same values as the governor. So why the hell is he governor?
Chicago Dems, rest of the state is republican

We Live in a bastard of a country here in the UK regarding gun laws, you have to be very driven keen and super motivated to wade through the shit we have to to own keep and use any guns here. its soul distroying it really is. no rhyme nor reason for the laws no one saffewr people keep on killing people regardless of these pathetic laws here.
In the meantime we who are dedicated keep on hunting and filling freezers year in year out wile over pedantic Police look for litteraly any excuse they can to restrict or even stop shooters from owning guns.
Its getting worse and worse Months and months to get renewals and varriations and even changes of address take between 3 and 7 weeks depending on which police force you fall under. Its a headache it is for sure.
Enjoy it wile we still got it, its not like gun laws are going away anytime soon pointless or not there is still some irrational people in governments around the world who think gun laws will prevent mass murderers. I mean come on how warped is that thinking i ask you.
Fresh food is good.
1674681716139.png

1674681770210.png

1674681828667.png

1674681884576.png

1674681965085.png

Best to leave the gun rights/laws/control stuff to a thread in CI.

Agreed. I don't hunt, but I'd love to backpack in that area. Is that land publicly accessible or privately held?
Private Land but its reachable by ordinary people with typical financial means or even poor people who are connected or are prepared to contribute in some way. The estates run for financial gain are there with factors etc but you can get the job done via farmers and landowners who are not in every case money making enterprises. Certainly plenty of fair people about still here which is a blessing. And some thing we should embrase here wile we can times could well be changing but as ever only time will tell.
The way we are being erroded as a sector of British Societey If anything there should be more shooting available to those prepared to weather the storm of gun licencing here today. Its Not like i posted here in a political vein , i just told it like it is its not a moan a gripe or of any political or state confrontation, its just Me a active hunter telling it like it is here thats all.

In the U.S., there are similar practices with large tracts of private land. Asking politely for access may work, from what I've seen. It's definitely not a case where it's wise to skip that step and rely on asking for forgiveness after the fact.
No forgiveness here , If you step over a boundary and the Land lease holder accepts your excuse fine. but if not or you are caught full non poaching, well lets put it this way your ammo bill will be none existent and suppose you could say you will be Fishing a LOT. Nuff said.
I personally hate Poachers as payment if you like for Deer stalking rights and to get me lots of ground for fox shooting which i adore second only to Waterfowling, i have Part time Game keepered various estates Here and in Yorkshire Historically.
I could write a book on tales about conflicts with poachers, they are in my experience not the ruddy faced beer swilling country bumpkin out for a Brace of his lordships Pheasants or a rabbit or two for the pot roast. no far from it, they are often nasty vicious organized criminals with a knowledge of the countryside and determination to take what they want when they want it and if they can organize a big hit and empty a release pen of game bird poults hard working honest folk have raised themselves for the game shoot the poachers will do.
Poaching and poachers here tend to be typically working class or unemployed/ unemployable , but not exclusively by any means.
Gypsy Folk poach but though poaching and distructive their activity is normally about running dogs running dog ownership or Betting on said dogs in roughly that order. Again there are exceptions too.
One tale of woe re Poachers did not happen to me thankfully, But a Friend of mine who Keepers an estate about 50 miles from here one Night saw lights on the estate road when he got up to check why the Beam alarm on the road had been triggered.
Sae a red light on land a half mile away and Jumped in his Issuzu trooper with his spaniel who went everywhere with him, he took a .22 hornet rifle with him which was his normal estate pest tool and again he always had it to hand.
It was 2AM moonlit night in late november About 15 years ago. A Light frost on the road clearly showed trafic one set of tracks aggressive Mud terain type Tyres and narrow tracked vehichle. He rounded a bend over a small bridge and Parked smack in the middle of the road about 200 yards away was the distinctive shape of an 80s Daihatsu fourtrk Or Rocky Or Taft The Diesel F50 model, a small jeep popular over here for many years and beloved by poachers and game Keepers alike.
He Slowly moved forward and the daihatsu Turned its Lights on and red Roof mounted spot lamp and rored towards him, he stopped reversed fast and pulled off the road on the verge.
The Daihatsu Turned in and rammed him hard in the area of the rear wheel and Reversed squared up and again rammed him hard reversed again and got more distance of the other verge and as he tried to drive away it hit him in the drivers door hurting his right arm.
In considerable pain the onslaught continued for two more hits the last one pushed the Issuzu into the ditch at the side of the road then the daihatsu Sped away with its lights off.
My friend then in his late 50s was shaken he rang the law and his son at the farm and the ambulance came took him to A&E when it was revealed he had severe Bruising but no broken bones thankfully.
That was it re my friend Issuzu was a total wreck The diesel engine and Box etc ended up in a landrover. The END!
No.... 18 months Latter Again moonlit night in early summer about 15 miles over the scottish border this time mate rings me up Tell me a similar tale to the above Happened In east Lothian area the Night before A Daihatsu got chassed by a Farmer in a john dere tractor off land near the A720, said it ran as though it was going to ram the tractor then decided against it and off the field at speed heading towards Haddington.
About a month latter and the police stopped a $X$ aq Daihatsu f50 with a railway Line in the place of the front bumper. It Had a Broken rear light and Why they stopped it It had two deer carcases Groloched in the back still steaming. With No reasonable excuse and an off licence .303 enfield in the back in a cover they were arrested and charged eventually with other crimes they acepted responsability for, they had a whole string of violence ( including my friends Issuzu ramming) from county durham to Edinburgh and the Poachers were from Wooler area.
There are some nasty vicious poachers out there, you venture out on a night to challenge them and there is no way of knowing what you are dealing with .

No forgiveness here , If you step over a boundary and the Land lease holder accepts your excuse fine. but if not or you are caught full non poaching, well lets put it this way your ammo bill will be none existent and suppose you could say you will be Fishing a LOT. Nuff said.
I personally hate Poachers as payment if you like for Deer stalking rights and to get me lots of ground for fox shooting which i adore second only to Waterfowling, i have Part time Game keepered various estates Here and in Yorkshire Historically.
I could write a book on tales about conflicts with poachers, they are in my experience not the ruddy faced beer swilling country bumpkin out for a Brace of his lordships Pheasants or a rabbit or two for the pot roast. no far from it, they are often nasty vicious organized criminals with a knowledge of the countryside and determination to take what they want when they want it and if they can organize a big hit and empty a release pen of game bird poults hard working honest folk have raised themselves for the game shoot the poachers will do.
Poaching and poachers here tend to be typically working class or unemployed/ unemployable , but not exclusively by any means.
Gypsy Folk poach but though poaching and distructive their activity is normally about running dogs running dog ownership or Betting on said dogs in roughly that order. Again there are exceptions too.
One tale of woe re Poachers did not happen to me thankfully, But a Friend of mine who Keepers an estate about 50 miles from here one Night saw lights on the estate road when he got up to check why the Beam alarm on the road had been triggered.
Sae a red light on land a half mile away and Jumped in his Issuzu trooper with his spaniel who went everywhere with him, he took a .22 hornet rifle with him which was his normal estate pest tool and again he always had it to hand.
It was 2AM moonlit night in late november About 15 years ago. A Light frost on the road clearly showed trafic one set of tracks aggressive Mud terain type Tyres and narrow tracked vehichle. He rounded a bend over a small bridge and Parked smack in the middle of the road about 200 yards away was the distinctive shape of an 80s Daihatsu fourtrk Or Rocky Or Taft The Diesel F50 model, a small jeep popular over here for many years and beloved by poachers and game Keepers alike.
He Slowly moved forward and the daihatsu Turned its Lights on and red Roof mounted spot lamp and rored towards him, he stopped reversed fast and pulled off the road on the verge.
The Daihatsu Turned in and rammed him hard in the area of the rear wheel and Reversed squared up and again rammed him hard reversed again and got more distance of the other verge and as he tried to drive away it hit him in the drivers door hurting his right arm.
In considerable pain the onslaught continued for two more hits the last one pushed the Issuzu into the ditch at the side of the road then the daihatsu Sped away with its lights off.
My friend then in his late 50s was shaken he rang the law and his son at the farm and the ambulance came took him to A&E when it was revealed he had severe Bruising but no broken bones thankfully.
That was it re my friend Issuzu was a total wreck The diesel engine and Box etc ended up in a landrover. The END!
No.... 18 months Latter Again moonlit night in early summer about 15 miles over the scottish border this time mate rings me up Tell me a similar tale to the above Happened In east Lothian area the Night before A Daihatsu got chassed by a Farmer in a john dere tractor off land near the A720, said it ran as though it was going to ram the tractor then decided against it and off the field at speed heading towards Haddington.
About a month latter and the police stopped a $X$ aq Daihatsu f50 with a railway Line in the place of the front bumper. It Had a Broken rear light and Why they stopped it It had two deer carcases Groloched in the back still steaming. With No reasonable excuse and an off licence .303 enfield in the back in a cover they were arrested and charged eventually with other crimes they acepted responsability for, they had a whole string of violence ( including my friends Issuzu ramming) from county durham to Edinburgh and the Poachers were from Wooler area.
There are some nasty vicious poachers out there, you venture out on a night to challenge them and there is no way of knowing what you are dealing with .

The first poacher I met was much the same. A pure criminal, and he was aggressive to the extend that legal hunters feared getting shot by him.

I have since met Floridians who poached endangered birds for their meat. They were also scumbags who didn't deserve the life they were leading.

My experience here has been the opposite. Locals opportunistically taking an animal out of place for their freezer and if they are caught it needn't turn to violence.

"Poachers" in my area are typically more motivated towards conservation than the uppity trophy hunters that hold their head high while obeying all the laws yet wasting a bunch of meat.

The law calls em poachers. But, to me, they are just living practically off the natural resources regardless of arbitrary laws designed to milk even more revenue out of the average citizen.

We Live in a bastard of a country here in the UK regarding gun laws, you have to be very driven keen and super motivated to wade through the shit we have to to own keep and use any guns here. its soul distroying it really is. no rhyme nor reason for the laws no one saffewr people keep on killing people regardless of these pathetic laws here.
In the meantime we who are dedicated keep on hunting and filling freezers year in year out wile over pedantic Police look for litteraly any excuse they can to restrict or even stop shooters from owning guns.
Its getting worse and worse Months and months to get renewals and varriations and even changes of address take between 3 and 7 weeks depending on which police force you fall under. Its a headache it is for sure.
Enjoy it wile we still got it, its not like gun laws are going away anytime soon pointless or not there is still some irrational people in governments around the world who think gun laws will prevent mass murderers. I mean come on how warped is that thinking i ask you.
Fresh food is good.
1674681716139.png

1674681770210.png

1674681828667.png

1674681884576.png

1674681965085.png
What are those little birds with the very long beaks? I've never seen anything like that where I live.

In the U.S., there are similar practices with large tracts of private land. Asking politely for access may work, from what I've seen. It's definitely not a case where it's wise to skip that step and rely on asking for forgiveness after the fact.
I have a friend that lives in Finland and my hatred for trespassing boggles his mind. A few years ago I was ranting about finding pretty fresh remains of a camp fire on my hundred acres and he couldn't understand why I'd even care. His basic mindset was, " You weren't using the land in that moment. What does it bother you if someone else does?"

I can appreciate that chill attitude, but still, every inch of this 100 acres is my home. I gave him the example of coming home from work and finding a stranger in your kitchen cooking themselves a meal. You weren't using that area at the moment, so why should you care? It's still didn't make sense to him.

The large differences that exist between cultures is fascinating and very interesting.

I'd love to take out a deer off season once the freezer gets low. But given the fact F&G has waaaaaay more authority than a typical LEO, its not worth the risk. They'll take your guns, house, land, etc. Its my property. I should be able to harvest it. Its bullshit.

(In my state)If your property isn't posted, people can walk and hunt on it. Totally open. That dates back to colonial times because in order to survive, land needed to be open for others to hunt on. Otherwise the colonies would have perished.

"Poachers" in my area are typically more motivated towards conservation than the uppity trophy hunters that hold their head high while obeying all the laws yet wasting a bunch of meat.

The law calls em poachers. But, to me, they are just living practically off the natural resources regardless of arbitrary laws designed to milk even more revenue out of the average citizen.
I personally have no interest in trophy hunting or all the crap that goes in some circles of hunting. i never got the blooded finger wipe con a first deer kill etc. I view it as Pathetic Personally.
Ditto Trophy Heads, I never was interested at all and gave some half decent SCI spec trophy heads away years ago to an old chap i knew retired and used sections of antlers to crown wading sticks he sold.
Poachers Who take the ODD one for the pot to feed the starving Bratts at home ETC. Nice story, and all fine and dandy if they play the game i suppose I am not condoning t mind.
Reality is way different, Many areas are areas People run as shooters and as such conservationists too, they are Stewards of the land and in many cases like those who lease hunt and manage The crown estate land are partialy there to uphold the said area and are responsible for its upkeep and the fact they exist as tenants secures the Crowns Land. Its an obligation of their tenure.
Many beautifull areas are shot over which are Crown land and Sites of special scientific interest. Often monitored and with consents from natural england / english Nature.. These consents have obligations have management plans that need upkeeping and working to acchieve site improvement and there for eassier renewals on consents which can run a year or multiples of years depending on many factors the BTO DATA British trust for ornathology Conduct the Likes of WEBS counts, Wetland cBird Survey. These counts Provide the data In the area and can impact what you can and can not do in a Area of land .
Its crucial you adhere to the Desisions and consent criteria you are Issued with to stay on target with your management Plans agrement etc.
I colourfull Yokel poacher can pitch your carefully Stewarded area int free fall, you have no lea way with criminals if you can catch them bring them to justice it makes your ligitimate tenure on a site straightforward. If they are Running about willy nilly doing what they want it will create you problems cin the fullness of time.
I tell you shooting and serrious shooters here in the UK have a lot to do to keep hunting, you have to be dedicated.

Common Snipe, they take some mrksmanship wing shooting them. hence the term "Sniper" As in those who could hit snipe got selected for Sniper school.
No way. A snipe is a real thing?!

I thought snipe hunting was just a way for Grandpa to get you out of his hair for a while 😁

I feel like you're totally pulling my leg on this one!

I personally have no interest in trophy hunting or all the crap that goes in some circles of hunting. i never got the blooded finger wipe con a first deer kill etc. I view it as Pathetic Personally.
Ditto Trophy Heads, I never was interested at all and gave some half decent SCI spec trophy heads away years ago to an old chap i knew retired and used sections of antlers to crown wading sticks he sold.
Poachers Who take the ODD one for the pot to feed the starving Bratts at home ETC. Nice story, and all fine and dandy if they play the game i suppose I am not condoning t mind.
Reality is way different, Many areas are areas People run as shooters and as such conservationists too, they are Stewards of the land and in many cases like those who lease hunt and manage The crown estate land are partialy there to uphold the said area and are responsible for its upkeep and the fact they exist as tenants secures the Crowns Land. Its an obligation of their tenure.
Many beautifull areas are shot over which are Crown land and Sites of special scientific interest. Often monitored and with consents from natural england / english Nature.. These consents have obligations have management plans that need upkeeping and working to acchieve site improvement and there for eassier renewals on consents which can run a year or multiples of years depending on many factors the BTO DATA British trust for ornathology Conduct the Likes of WEBS counts, Wetland cBird Survey. These counts Provide the data In the area and can impact what you can and can not do in a Area of land .
Its crucial you adhere to the Desisions and consent criteria you are Issued with to stay on target with your management Plans agrement etc.
I colourfull Yokel poacher can pitch your carefully Stewarded area int free fall, you have no lea way with criminals if you can catch them bring them to justice it makes your ligitimate tenure on a site straightforward. If they are Running about willy nilly doing what they want it will create you problems cin the fullness of time.
I tell you shooting and serrious shooters here in the UK have a lot to do to keep hunting, you have to be dedicated.
Trophy hunting in general really annoys me. But I can appreciate the beauty of a nice fur or mount, so I can't hate on that. Learning to make leather is on my list of skills to acquire.

Recently I learned how Daniel Boone and Teddy Roosevelt pretty much invented the concept of trophy hunting in order to promote conservation on the wildlife. Early market hunters had the saying of, " if it's brown, it's down". We nearly rendered white tail deer extinct in the US. Folks from the govt were going around collecting racks and skeletons since they figured it was just a matter of time that there wouldn't be any left so they were getting museum pieces ready so later generations could see what used to live there. It was bad.

Boone and Roosevelt instituted trophy hunting, basically only allowing folks to older, mature deer in order to protect the younger, breeding population. It worked!

Apparently it worked too well as automobile insurance companies are know known to ship coyotes in to areas they don't belong in order to cut down on insurance claims 🙄

Either way, knowing the background of trophy hunting certainly gave me a different perspective and appreciation for the practice. It's still a fine line that can be easily crossed, though.

The large differences that exist between cultures is fascinating and very interesting.
I don't know how much truth there is to it, but my grandpa was hell-bent against trespassers as he was afraid someone would get hurt walking around the woods and he'd be held liable. I live next to a lake spillway pond and local kids used to go through my yard and woods to swim in it, I consulted the Sheriff about liability and he recommended copious amounts of "no trespassing" signs on my property. The problem was solved when some went down there and found a dead deer floating in it, but I have the signs up in multiple places anyway as well as the purple paint that IL now recognizes as an indicator of "no trespassing".

Top Bottom Back Refresh