What's new

Shop press

IMO 6T is not that useful.

A 20T is not that more in cost, In addition to more force, the larger presses have more stroke and more clearance around the frame than the small ones do. This makes it easier to deal with large or oddly shaped items. The distance between the uprights on the HF 12 vs 20 ton presses is 16" vs 22" IIRC; which can make a difference sometimes
The 6 ton presses are ok for say changing vw suspension bushes or some FWD wheel bearings, but many lik VWs with big old bearings need around the 20T size presses. Now before somebody chimes in "well i changed the FWBs on my VW XXXX , ", OK i acept that i too have managed to do this a few times, but i dreaded this job after the first time, it was messing about heating up wacking it and pressing it out, then luckily it lets go and you breathe a sigh of relief, New one in back on car whamo. then you turn around and it dawns on you, "you got it all to go through again2. No.... for me in any case life is just too short, when i was younger i seriously fooled about for hours with stuff like this. but in my older years i dont know if its my patience or grumpy old bloke state of mind creeping in or what, but i need stuff at least capable of the task and a big old press will handle these tasks better for me.

When you buy the 50T tomorrow, ask if there are any other parts that come with it, or look around it for anything useful. Arbor plates, ram attachments, etc.
I doubt there will be anything other than whats in the pics, they have a different tidier press in place there now and imagine any toiling will be utilized for that press.

Mentioned it to a mate today, and he asked me what was the difference to turn the 6 ton into a 20T ???

Press crashes are dangerous

Don't modify a press with the intent of increasing it's capacity.

A failed press setup can send parts through your head quicker than you could notice the problem

No luck on the old blue press, i stopped by the Yard today and spoke to the organ grinder not his monkey. And to cut to the chase, he was not selling it not at my price anyway.
I asked the question "Was it for sale" He asked me what i was offering, i tried to getv an idea of a price from him, he asked me again what i was offering. I went in at £150 .. He said it vwould have to be more than that. I threw the whole £200 into the mix. And his parting shot wasthis. "if thats all that its worth, do you know what .. Ill keep it. "
I thanked him and was on my way.
Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained. ill look on the net a few more weeks and ill order the new 20Toner if nothing turns up.

Good try. If the end result is a new 20, you'll still be within your budget and have a good press.
My thoughts exactly, her that shall be obeyed said i should just order a new 20T right now. but ill hang on that bit longer. because we all know as soon as i buy a new 20T a brilliant big old pres is going to be on offer local, thats sods law.

Reactions: MVI
No luck on the old blue press, i stopped by the Yard today and spoke to the organ grinder not his monkey. And to cut to the chase, he was not selling it not at my price anyway.
I asked the question "Was it for sale" He asked me what i was offering, i tried to getv an idea of a price from him, he asked me again what i was offering. I went in at £150 .. He said it vwould have to be more than that. I threw the whole £200 into the mix. And his parting shot wasthis. "if thats all that its worth, do you know what .. Ill keep it. "
I thanked him and was on my way.
Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained. ill look on the net a few more weeks and ill order the new 20Toner if nothing turns up.
best of luck in the coming days :photog

i added a 120V winch to lift various brakes in and out of the press.

Press is about 8' tall once I added the winch

And I upgraded to air over hydraulic

Press.jpg

Last edited:
Made up some quick-change tooling that accepts the 3/4" diam holders or lengths of bar to make it easier to get the right squeeze to the right place. The threaded holder affords a means to assemble various other bits and have them stay in place; the first job is squeezing fork springs to upgrade the gsxs;

small-IMG_20221030_212657.jpg

small-IMG_20221031_200539.jpg

Back
Top Bottom