What's new

Silverton Day Trips & Passes

1660488698668.png

Were booked to ride the Passes/Silverton area again for the summer of 2023

our hotel has this warning on their website

1673822088932.png

Last edited:
Last time I was in Silverton, it looked like they were patrolling pretty intensely on the goonbuggie traffic. Understandably so with all the rentals and newbies driving em.

Last time I was in Silverton, it looked like they were patrolling pretty intensely on the goonbuggie traffic. Understandably so with all the rentals and newbies driving em.

Same rule applies to Telluride. Everything needs a Plate to be on the road.

I'm ok with this. I've got to have all mine plated if I want to ride the roads here in Missouri.

Got some Mavic video from there at about 9:50 of this video:

Not great video. I've been an RC pilot for a long time - but that was only my 3rd flight with the Air - and I had a lot to learn.

Amazon has Mavics from $400 to $4000. Which one do you recommend ?

Amazon has Mavics from $400 to $4000. Which one do you recommend ?
Sourrey about the late reply. Haven't checked this forum for a bit!

First thing I've learned about camera drones? DJI has the market cornered for a reason. I've tried off brand chinese clones. They mostly work - but they do not work as well as DJI.

I've got experience with the Mavic Air, the Mavic Pro and the Phantom 3.

The video above? That was taken with a Mavic Air. I really like that drone. It's super small and takes great video. It's not as fast as the Pro, and doesn't handle high winds as well, though. For motorbike trips, it's tough to beat.

But the Mavic AIr from that video was borrowed from a friend. What I currently have is a Mavic Pro. If you want to do self tracking on a bike, it's a hassle. Here's a video of me testing in my backyard. If you have friends that are in a hurry, they might not tolerate you futzing around:

But, when you only get out to moab once every couple of years, shots like this are worth it!

I do like my Mavic Pro and it's extra size isn't a big deal. When I bought the pro, I was considering the Mavic Mini - but it doesn't have the intelligent shot modes like the pro and air do. However, I see that the newer, Air 2 does have intelligent modes. If something happens to my Pro, I'm seriously considering it.

Also, if you're concerned about keeping on the right side of the FAA, you need to have a license to fly anything heavier than the Mavic Mini. Not a big deal for me since I already had mine for the rest of my RC flying hobby - but something to be aware of.

I've also got a Phantom 3 pro. It's the most stable of my drones and takes amazing video even in high winds. I'm pretty sure they updated the way the transmitter and drone talk to each other for the phantom 4, but my P3 doesn't have near the range of my Mavic pro. That said - it'll still go about about 1 Km, which strictly speaking is against the rules of the FAA since you're not supposed to fly any drone further away that what you can see. My Pro can go out about 3 miles - allegedly.

So all that to answer what do I recommend? I guess it depends. If you're not looking for something that packs down small, the Phantom is tough to beat. If you do want something that folds, I'd go with any of the Airs, pros, or the Mini 2. I'd suggest getting a used earlier gen of the mavic or pro. You can pick them up on the used market pretty reasonably. The people that fly these sorts of things tend to be the sort that want the bleeding edge tech. So, when the new ones come out, the earlier ones tend to go out for sale. It'd be a good way to get your feet wet and see if it's something you'll use.

Back
Top Bottom