What's new

Smokin' -- Charcoal, Hardwoods & Pellet BBQs

^^ looks delish

I suspect with more use, it gets a better flavor profile too

What was your trick to curb the runaway temps?

So I've used my GMG Trek 6 times now, getting better with each use. I'm learning the nuances and have found the way to avoid the runaway temps. I've done brats, Uncle John's sausage, burgers, a beer can chicken, a pork loin and meatloaf. The chicken was old, sat in the freezer for far too long and it was a tad tough in places because of it, but the pork loin and meatloaf turned out awesome along with the brats, burgers and sausage.

meatloaf.jpg
My wife's aunt used oatmeal in a meatloaf once instead of breadcrumbs. Man, there's no turning back once you make the change.

^^ looks delish

I suspect with more use, it gets a better flavor profile too

What was your trick to curb the runaway temps?
More of a learned pattern. Having never used a pellet version of anything previously, at first I just assumed it would be easily and accurately stable to whatever temp you chose but that's when it would run away for seemingly no reason. So right after the start-up activity when it reaches 150° I discovered if I take it up to about 350° and let it run there for about 15 to 20 minutes to get everything hot, it seems to be better at staying stable when you ask it to go to a lower temp. In the beginning I just went straight to the temp I wanted and it would literally take off and rise to 80° more or higher on its own, but letting things get fully hot seems to allow small adjustments to be made without crazy behavior. For the pork loin (2.6 lbs) I dropped it to 210° after sitting at 350° for around 20 minutes and it stayed rock steady, then around the 1.5 hour mark I lowered it to 195° for the last hour or so and it came out perfect - clear juices and soft like butter. I tried some of the suggestions at GMG's site like working with the cover over the fire box to center it under the grease plate but that didn't seem to have much of an affect, though their suggestion of regular cleaning of the temp sensor sticking out of the left side under the racks is a good idea and that might have helped as well. But you wouldn't expect much buildup on the sensor after only 3 or 4 uses, but it's something to keep up with for best accuracy I'd assume. I really like it, the pellet use seems pretty thrifty compared to the amount of wood I've used in my firebox on the big single door smoker before. I'm still on my first 20 lb bag of Pit Boss pellets (local Walmart, only brand they carry but inexpensive) after 6 full uses, some of them over 3 hours.

Chicken thighs smoking over some fresh cherry chunks while plunking on the bass. Rode dirt bikes with a buddy earlier today. Life can't get much better 😁
IMG_20231028_202628561.jpg

IMG_20231231_185607625.jpg

Heavily smoked turkey. Burnt two pans of cherry and finished with a pan of oak. Trouble getting it on the plate without it breaking up. I picked up the wing and the meat fell off the bone back down to the plate. Oh happy day 😁

IMG_20231231_192551474.jpg

Chicken thighs smoking over some fresh cherry chunks while plunking on the bass. Rode dirt bikes with a buddy earlier today. Life can't get much better 😁
IMG_20231028_202628561.jpg
Did the resonance help with cooking. I can only make noise and everything falls off the shelf.. hmm

Did the resonance help with cooking. I can only make noise and everything falls off the shelf.. hmm
Nah, not much resonance through the little headphone amp out there.

I did get a new amp this weekend. It's been fun rattling the bow rack when I really dig in 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_100109469.jpg
    IMG_20240107_100109469.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
I made awesome sauce for the fam..peppers, onions, garlic , tomatos and fresh sausage made today.

I made myself a pizza
20240118_224841.jpg

drums & Buffalo thighs tonight . Hot & humid here currently being mid-summer.

Top Bottom Back Refresh