What's new

Stealth camping

Depends on what you are riding and the space available. An extra 3-6 liters is a lot for me on the 501
Yes, I suppose it would. Guess I was thinking about some of the smaller hammocks. Seems like Ive seen some that pack up about the size of a fist. Though, I've never used one so I digress.

On the haunted house trip, I was still using a hammock. In the hammock, I used an inflatable insulated sleeping pad. This allowed sleeping on the floor in the house. I also have hammock rain fly, so worst case, I could wrap myself up in the tarp like a burrito On the ground.

I have since switched to a bivy. It is so much easier to setup, not thinking and finding angles after a long day on the bike.
Ive actually thought about a Bivy and a tarp. Sort of a combo of the two.
On the haunted house trip, I was still using a hammock. In the hammock, I used an inflatable insulated sleeping pad. This allowed sleeping on the floor in the house. I also have hammock rain fly, so worst case, I could wrap myself up in the tarp like a burrito On the ground.

I have since switched to a bivy. It is so much easier to setup, not thinking and finding angles after a long day on the b

Yes, I suppose it would. Guess I was thinking about some of the smaller hammocks. Seems like Ive seen some that pack up about the size of a fist. Though, I've never used one so I digress.
It's not as small as you might think, once you factor in a different tarp and whether you use an underquilt or a pad. One of my hammocks is designed to go to ground, so that is always an option if its what I take. It's a pain to set up on the ground, but works if needed

Wikicamps App is excellent in Australia, not sure about other places. It allows you to search for free camp sites within a specified distance of your current location.

My wife and I spent two years as ‘grey nomads’, touring Australia with a caravan. Almost all of it at free camps.
On the bike I travel light, just coffee brew gear, sleeping mat and an army groundsheet with lots of eyelets for easy hanging off the bike or trees.

Wikicamps App is excellent in Australia, not sure about other places. It allows you to search for free camp sites within a specified distance of your current location.

My wife and I spent two years as ‘grey nomads’, touring Australia with a caravan. Almost all of it at free camps.
On the bike I travel light, just coffee brew gear, sleeping mat and an army groundsheet with lots of eyelets for easy hanging off the bike or trees.

Downloaded, thanks

I have the standard 1P & 2P versions. I pre-ordered the 1P before C-19 rolled in, and liked it so much in my backyard that I pre-ordered the 2P. They're very well made and easy to pitch. I haven't had a chance to actually use them in the field yet, but that'll change this year. Silpoly fabric should eliminate sagging, which will be a nice benefit. The DCF versions are a little too expensive for me to justify, but they look cool.

I've used a free standing Black Diamond HiLight tent for several years and it's been great, but the Durston design is roomier with better ventilation, without a weight penalty. I'll stick with the BD tent in winter or high mountain conditions since it's easy to fully button it up, but the Durston design should be great for three season use. For moto-camping without trekking poles, dedicated carbon fiber poles are available.
How small does that stuff?

I don't find a hammock comfortable. Probably the fractured L5 vertebrae. I use this tent when I need to pack small and be low key. It is super compact and all in, weighs 4 lbs. The vestibule has enough room for my riding gear.

615xhY+YTTL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

I used wikicamps extensively when traveling in Australia. Especially when I was areas closer resembling civilisation. Super handy when I wanted to find a place for the evening ahead of time. There's also a US wikicamps map that I've yet to use.

I stealth camp all the time though, regardless of how I'm traveling. It's only ever just for the sleep though. Roll in late, roll out early. Usually need headlights/headlamps for both set up and teardown.

Durston X-Mid 2 stuffed in a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil (silnylon) compression sack (size S / 10L). The tent comes with a basic stuff sack made of the tent fabric (silpoly), but it doesn't compress.

No poles, stakes, or ground cloth is included in the bag. There's room in the bag for a lightweight ground cloth and small stakes, but I prefer to carry those with the poles. Both the bag and tent are in original condition, with no modifications made to either. The 10L size works well, with it being large enough to easily stuff, but not oversized. The bag is fully compressed in the photo below, but I think that's as far as I'd want to compress it.

The bag weighs 62g and the X-Mid 2 weighs 1.075kg. The spec sheet calls it 1.025kg, so that's pretty close for mass production. If someone wanted to shave weight, the zipper pulls and guy lines could be modified. The stuffed size is a cylinder that's roughly 15.25cm / 6" in diameter and 23cm / 9" tall. A 12 oz can is included for reference.

1648093982182.png
Pretty good. I think that's the same size bag I used for my BA copper spur 2man.

I need to dig up a smaller compression sack for the 1P and I'll post its size & weight, too.

Another thing Dan Durston did with the X-Mid is pick a natural green color for it instead of something bright. It's not a camouflage pattern, but it does lend itself to stealth camping in many settings.

In post 4, you can see our bright orange tent. After that trip, I bought the same tent again in a dark green color.

Yeah I don't get the bright yellow tents either unless you're in snow country and it's a safety issue for some reason. I prefer the green color as well. Specially if you want to hide out somewhere..... YMMV

My first motorcycle trip was when I was 16. It was from rural southwest Ohio to Myrtle Beach, SC., and then other places in the south. It was 20 days long.
I had a 1967 Honda CL77, and for the trip I made a "luggage rack" from some cedar shakes. I had a tarp, a sleeping bag, road maps, a canteen, and a gym bag with a change of clothes.
Needless to say, I over-estimated my ability to ride long distance. I made it to a roadside rest in the mountains of South Carolina at about midnight the first day of the ride. By that time I felt like I had been stuffed in a gunnysack, and beaten with a baseball bat. I threw my tarp over a picnic table, unrolled my sleeping bag under the table, crawled in the bag, and went to sleep.
Sometime in the early morning, I woke up to intense heat on my face, and a blinding light. An amplified voice told me to come out into the open. When I scrambled out and stood up, I could see a police car in the pull-off of the rest, and the officer had the spotlight on me. After a few seconds, the light was turned off. The officer told me to be out of the rest by morning, then he drove off.

BEAN

Top Bottom Back Refresh