What's new

Stoves, What is your poison??

Here's my Optimus. Very good stove. And different fuel bottle options so you only need to take what you need for the length of trip etc.
IMG_6386-XL.jpg

Stove and espresso set live in the pots.
IMG_6387-XL.jpg

I think this stove is from the 50's and it's excellent for car camping etc.
IMG_6388-XL.jpg

IMG_6389-XL.jpg

Those MSR fuel bottles come in handy to refuel your bike too.. On my AK trip I had to dump all three 1ltr bottles in my bike, as the planned stop was out of fuel. Actually the whole town was out and had been waiting for a few days already.... I made it to the next town and refueled everything !!!

I have or have had them all, Go to and best all around for Bike camping is IMO the whisperlite multi fuel . I have had 2 multi fuel stoves in the 50 years that I have been camping . ( I lost my first in a move an Opimus Box that would be still working today if I didn't lose it).
Stoves are light - reliable and the flame is adjustable so you can really cook on them.
Plus it is nice to cary an extra liter of fuel if the bike needs it.
I also have ..
Esbit with a liquid alcohol burner.. it's ok for making coffee But their solid alcohol cubes are a must as a first aid kit item.

Micro propane burner.. Cooks OK but I am always at a stage in fuel consumption where I feel I need to cary an extra gas container JIC

Standard size propane burner. Same issues as above but cooks a bigger pot

Jet boil.. Good and clean for backpack trips with the scouts. Boils fast but too hot to cook on . Good for freeze dry meals and Coffee

A folding grate for cooking with coal (Matchlight) or fire wood. Honestly my fave to cook on for flavor and clean up. But time consuming among other issues

A Coleman 2 burner stove (LP) god it's as old as I am and a great piece of kit but car camping only. As are the small Weber kettle (Charcoal) and the Kitchen Aid PL gas grill (tailgater)
Edit.. I forgot sterno.. Great in the summer for coffee and to scoop out some Gel as a fire starter. I bought an Nesbit kit for my kid and added a can of sterno as a safe first stove for him when he became a scout. A couple of pebbles on the rim of the sterno can to put your pot on and good to go. Only hot enough for summer camping though

Last edited:
That is the pinnacle of dead simple stoves, plus you dont have a bunch of empty propane/gas canisters to carry with or pack out. Brilliant .

I guess one could put two of these side by side and double the BTU's and use a 12" frying pan or griddle to make bacon and eggs for more than one person.
The alcohol tablets are great but only supply enough BTU per to boil a cup of water. so they are limited in cooking ability. You are almost better off with a can of sterno.

Reactions: MVI
The alcohol tablets are great but only supply enough BTU per to boil a cup of water. so they are limited in cooking ability. You are almost better off with a can of sterno.
good to know, thanks

Those are becoming very popular in the western U.S. fire ban areas. There are probably models that come with one, but it wouldn't be hard to make a grate to use with pans over one.

Email MVI WELDING & FAB.

We will make a grate for it...

I Have a few. MSR dragonfly. Burns anything. Simmers and is also a rocket. Little bulky, but can share a spare fuel tank with a bike.

Pocket rocket and or isobutane mini, not sure stable, but light and easy.

Single burner and multi burner propane.

All. Have thier place IMO

I am a bit of a stove nut (and sleeping bags/mattresses/tents....) always looking for The One. Seems like they all have some good and some not so good aspects.

My current setup is a jetboil with the french press when traveling via bike.

I have a stainless steel kelly kettle that i bring in my jeep. I thought it would be awesome to have the kelly ketle on moto trips, but it's too big and heavy...plus for coffee you need a separate system like a french press or pour over.

When car camping I use an old freebie Coleman 425. It was a freebie since it was missing the tank, but the propane adapter works great. You will have to pry this stove out of my cold, dead hands if you want it.
1648226024079.png

When camping off the bike I have a MSR International that can burn about any liquid fuel.

When car camping I use an old freebie Coleman 425. It was a freebie since it was missing the tank, but the propane adapter works great. You will have to pry this stove out of my cold, dead hands if you want it.
1648226024079.png

When camping off the bike I have a MSR International that can burn about any liquid fuel.

looks quality, heavy gage steel.

Made about the same time as a 1972 Buick and out of the same material

1648226024079.png

I did not know you could get a propane adapter for them, that is a nice setup.

I did not know you could get a propane adapter for them, that is a nice setup.
The green bottle and adapter also fit inside the stove for easy transportation, just like the red fuel tank would.
1648241159568.png

Crispy peach cobbler at 10,000' in Colorado is a nice treat. I got a little impatient on this one and turned the stove up quite high. You can see the scorched paint under the oven... oops.
1648241055071.png

Well after some contemplation I decided to get the Jetboil Minimo and return the MSR windburner as the Jetboil offers a more precise flame control and the handles on the cup are metal and riveted on instead of plastic. REI is very good at returns… 😁

Reactions: MVI
Top Bottom Back Refresh