What's new

Stoves, What is your poison??

I have Trangia kit. The alcohol stove from Sweden. Used correctly it supposedly boils water at 0F°. I don't use it nearly enough, and I've never used it below freezing. These days I tend to eat at restaurants instead of cooking.

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 21.45.09.png

MSR Whisperlite International here. They're simple, field serviceable, burn anything including unleaded, decent flame control, and seem to last forever. I carry anything from a 12oz bottle for a weekend trip up to 2 1.5L bottles when I want reserve fuel for the bike as well.

MSR makes some good stuff and I still have the Dragonfly in my collection. I had it up for sale on the "other" site and am glad nobody offered to buy it....

1990 vintage stove I still use, also doubles as a heater if need be.
1990 vintage? Vintage?! Slow down there, buddy. I'm a 1980 model and feel like I'm a long way from vintage 😁

Reactions: MVI
IMG_20220519_153035396.jpg

Pretty sure I paid less $16 or $18 for this little Coleman stove years ago. The lantern was pricey, but it's been worth it. They both stow away pretty easily in my little pot along with a lighter and spare mantels.

IMG_20220519_153010094.jpg

IMG_20220519_152955319.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20220519_153035396.jpg

Pretty sure I paid less $16 or $18 for this little Coleman stove years ago. The lantern was pricey, but it's been worth it. They both stow away pretty easily in my little pot along with a lighter and spare mantels.
Is that snow peak lantern any good? I picked up a Sota version, which has its own butane base, but the valve leaks and has piss poor longevity. Looking for an upgrade.

Is that snow peak lantern any good? I picked up a Sota version, which has its own butane base, but the valve leaks and has piss poor longevity. Looking for an upgrade.
I'm happy with it. I've had it for ages but have only used it a few dozen times. We lose power where I live pretty often and I've used it a lot around the house.

The mantles you're "supposed" to use were hard to find, but I found some common ones from Coleman that are readily available at Walmart.

I think it was about $80. They're not cheap at all, but I don't regret it.

I always used a Jetboil as a bike stove. Now I have the 4x4 and weight isnt an issue, I bought a suitcase stove, but the type with a ceramic burner. These are much more efficient and arent affected by the wind so much.

71bZSNNYsNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That looks pretty nice! A more modern looking version of the Chef Master I have in the kitchen. I like the ceramic burner too.

MSR Whisperlite International here. They're simple, field serviceable, burn anything including unleaded, decent flame control, and seem to last forever. I carry anything from a 12oz bottle for a weekend trip up to 2 1.5L bottles when I want reserve fuel for the bike as well.
Just pulled mine out the other day for the first time in a while.
It's HUGE compared to a few posted here.

Just pulled mine out the other day for the first time in a while.
It's HUGE compared to a few posted here.

Ya, it's true that it is larger than some options...but nearly all those others require pressurized fuel canisters that are not always readily available, must be disposed of, and are useless for any other purpose. Also, most of those small stove heads have a very small pot stand area and are not serviceable. Regardless, the primary reason I like the MSR is that it burns bike fuel. Just makes everything easy. If there's fuel for the bike, there's fuel for the stove.

Mine fed me all around the USA and while tramping around Europe in the 90s.
Best part? It still works!

I have had a few different stoves for camping off the bike. My favorite is the cheap stoves off of Amazon.

2D08AA22-5E39-4790-95CC-C7E5B451CE60.jpeg

They pack up extremely small. Unlike the Jetboil, these stoves have a good flame adjustment, so they are better for cooking. The Jetboil is just good for boiling water. These stoves are very inexpensive.

Buy an inexpensive pot/pan kit from Amazon too and you are pretty well setup.
^^^^^^^^this coupled with a Stanley nesting set is the bees knees!!

Top Bottom Back Refresh