What's new

Stuck oil filter

Danno LLC's Torque Limiting Grip, patent pending
Been doing for 30 yrs.... my f100 worked me over. I ended up taking the standoff to the vise! New gaskets...but I worked at a 5 min oil change in my 20s. 3000 changes...no mistakes. I got stories!

Ahh lets pop the hood one more time... what? My coworker left the cap off on a chain driven model that pumps the oil out. Jeez ..I would never engineer a cap over a cam chain!!!!

Ahh lets pop the hood one more time... what? My coworker left the cap off on a chain driven model that pumps the oil out. Jeez ..I would never engineer a cap over a cam chain!!!!
My KLR had its oil fill cap over the clutch basket. Not much better. It used to rattle that thing off. I safety wire them all on now

My KLR had its oil fill cap over the clutch basket. Not much better. It used to rattle that thing off. I safety wire them all on now
Nice my klr..is my garage queen... And a little weep was noticed around the cap. Old school.. if it leaks it wont corrode. No body ever considered sand cast harley cases leaked on purpose. And the bikes lsst forever. An oil leak "can" be great!..

The screwdriver through the filter seems to always be the worst possible option on a stuck filter. There are always better ways than that. IMHO.
I had to make due with what I had. I don't have the luxury of a garage full of tools and other shit. I'm lucky the apartment property manager hasn't said anything.................yet.

The screwdriver through the filter seems to always be the worst possible option on a stuck filter. There are always better ways than that. IMHO.

Use what you got on hand, maybe theres an opportunity to get a better tool next time. Its pretty messy... I've only needed to do the screwdriver method twice in 40 years of wrenching on stuff. The last one was my new gsxs in 2022, f'ing factory filter on immovably tight and no clearance for much of anything, and the sheetmetal filter caps were caming right off... but a screwdriver did fit and had enough throw.

I had to make due with what I had. I don't have the luxury of a garage full of tools and other shit. I'm lucky the apartment property manager hasn't said anything.................yet.
Ya nailed it! Things get stuck together sometimes. Two "jo" blocks or gauge blocks are almost impossible to seperate after rubbed together with a drop of oil. I think there must 10 explainations why... I just know the blocks are true!..if they get stuck. Maybe the strom tolerance on oil filter surface is that true to the micron.

^ That happens from time to time, likely when the CNC machine had new tooling installed... We get that even with our toolholder's from time to time..

If you are going down the hole the filter canister route, worst thing you can do if its really stuck is do the classic Gorilla tactic and get a big old screwdriver and hammer it through the canister, Its giving the tin a good raggy edge to tear along and it will.
If you are going this route drill a nice neat hole through big enough to take a 1/2 inch long extention and a lenght of pipe over that and be carefull steady presure give the thing chance to break loose before the canister gives up the ghost is my advice.

New issue: replacing old windscreen with a new one. It's the Vstream from National Cycle. "Quick and easy installation." BULL-FUCKING-SHIT! Upon removing the stock windscreen, one of the well nuts disintegrated and the others could barely hold the new one in place. Not only that but the initial installation had me scratching my head since it doesn't exactly line up with the holes. Now my new issue is nobody seems to know what size the stupid well nuts are and nobody within 200mi seems to carry them in sizes less than a half inch in diameter.

HEY, NATIONAL CYCLE, HOW ABOUT INCLUDING SOME WELL NUTS LIKE SOME OF YOUR COMPETITORS?

Top Bottom Back Refresh