What's new

Super Sherpa appreciation

Rode to the motorcycle club to check supplies for upcoming events. Decided to see what the woods were like. Wood chip covered spots were ok. Everything else was an inch of mud on ice. Needed a bath when I got home.

1644620428645.jpeg

Pulled the carb to do the Moto-Lab mod and install a regular petcock.

20220308_144544.jpg

What is the motolab mod? I took my pilot from 17.5 to 30, seems to work well. Derek probably felt a pain when I did that. He seems knowledgeable if not dry in his other ADV site post.

What is the motolab mod? I took my pilot from 17.5 to 30, seems to work well. Derek probably felt a pain when I did that. He seems knowledgeable if not dry in his other ADV site post.
He found a source for the needle they have in the Greece and I assume Asian models that don't have emission regulations. For it to work right you have to change the other jets to match. When the parts come in and are installed, I'll report my findings.

Did my first ride with the MotoLab mods today. The MX track at the club was too muddy to see how well it pulls out of the corners in 2nd gear. Took back roads home with plenty of small hills. Maintaining the 35 to 40 MPH speed limit in 5th gear was no problem on the hills. No more of that anemic sound telling you to downshift. I always keep the RPMs low. Carry over from 45 years of trials riding. Very pleased with the results. Still playing with fine tuning the idle. My bike starts to idle at about 1500 and after about 30 seconds drops to around 1300. If it is too long, it starts to jump around to 1200 to 1400. Eventually starts to go below 1200 and will stall after a bit. It has always done this. I'll keep playing with the pilot fuel screw.

Did the first fifty miles of break-in to the Bill Blue 292 cylinder. Got some cages mad at me for going 35 - 40 in a 45 zone. Managed to keep RPM's below 3500 most of the time. Should finish break-in this weekend. The bike wouldn't idle properly before. Checked the carb good while waiting for parts. That little brass tube that goes from the top half down into the float bowl appeared to be blocked. Ran a tip cleaner file through to open. It now idles the way it should now. I have Derek's setup in the carb. Bill recommended going up one step in jets which I did. After break-in and some warmer weather, I can do final carb adjustment.

Glad you got the bike tuned. The vent got me on a bike.

I went xt225 because the sherp was discontinued. Air cooled twin cam is what I remembered. And low slung front fender. One of my favorite US release because it was different. And the other option was klr250. I veiw the newer klx230l...almost the same. Close! Never rode either..but it would be fun.

Went for a 125-mile ride in the mountains today to try the 300 mod. I can now accelerate up the mountain instead of slowing down. Took a fairly tight corner at 35 in sixth gear and got up to 50 at the next turn. Pretty good climb. Good torque on gravel roads and mud. Definitely better than the stock motor. I'm running the MotoLab jetting.

Top Bottom Back Refresh