What's new

Suspension Tuning

Chickenstrip

Member Number
Hi folks,

I'm on a mission to adjust the Penske shock on my Triumph Sprint RS - it has both rebound and compression damping. My question is regarding rebound. Lately I've been feeling like the shock is packing up (getting stuck in a compressed state due to too much rebound damping), so I continuously reduced damping, going a couple of clicks at a time, and testing the damping by pushing the back of the bike down. I got all the way to zero clicks and there was still some damping. Is that normal?

Hi folks,

I'm on a mission to adjust the Penske shock on my Triumph Sprint RS - it has both rebound and compression damping. My question is regarding rebound. Lately I've been feeling like the shock is packing up (getting stuck in a compressed state due to too much rebound damping), so I continuously reduced damping, going a couple of clicks at a time, and testing the damping by pushing the back of the bike down. I got all the way to zero clicks and there was still some damping. Is that normal?

I have not had the opportunity to mess with the Penske shocks. It could be normal and just the end of the range of adjustment. My personal experience is that I find it really easy to run too much rebound damping. I am also on a similar suspension journey, where I keep turning clickers out further and further.

I run the Penske 8900 on my r6 wide open on compression damping, it gets hard quickly. I ride with a bunch of stuff in the panniers, the extra weight makes the shock a bit more compliant. Rebound damping acts better, but I have it set pretty low too. Preload is reasonable, I wonder sometimes if the valving is spec'ed for a heavier bike.

Back
Top Bottom