Is my bike ok?
Member Number
2023-suzuki-gsx-8s-review-10~2.jpg
suzuki-gsx8s-01.jpg
2023-suzuki-gsx-8s-review-16~2.jpg
2023-suzuki-gsx-8s-review-1~2.jpg

270° p twin 82hp

445lbs wet with 3.7 gallons of fuel

57.7" wheelbase. Proper looking suspension and brakes.

Standard 120/180 17's is nice.

This could be a legit backroad burner. I loved my FZ07, but it could use a bit more power up top and a 6'2" me didn't fit on it real well. Moved to the larger FZ09 and it's comfy, but I miss the low down torque punch of a 270° twin. This could be just the ticket.

I know the deer skull headlight is gonna offend lots of soup bowl headlight fanboys, but I think it's a good looking bike. Subframe and fenders aren't blacked out. Looks like Suzuki put an honest effort in to finishing the bike off nicely.

Last edited:
It has a bolt-on subframe so it's already ahead of it's Yamaha and Honda competitors, lol. Personally I'd love a version of this bike with more wind protection for the street or a GSX-R-inspired version for the track. And an IMU with all the goodies enabled in either case.

Hush...I almost created a paradox on another site. Renthal bars and shinko 705 or 805 ..woo freaking hoo..I like specs and own a beastie DL1000. But weight and cg are so over looked in the adv world. Oh ya bullet proof quick detach skid plate......

MT 09 has removable subframe, but I think this Suzuki compares to the 07 more closely than the 09. Journalist seem to lump the 8S against the 09 for some reason.

Roughly,
MT 09 is 120hp/415lbs
MT 07 is 75h/400 lbs
8S is 82hp/445 lbs

It has a bolt-on subframe so it's already ahead of it's Yamaha and Honda competitors, lol. Personally I'd love a version of this bike with more wind protection for the street or a GSX-R-inspired version for the track. And an IMU with all the goodies enabled in either case.
Turns out this bike is nothing but a rebodied Vstrom. Exact same frame. You can see the empty thread holes near the rear sets on the 8S where they bolt on the "skid plate" for the Vstrom.

MT 09 has removable subframe, but I think this Suzuki compares to the 07 more closely than the 09. Journalist seem to lump the 8S against the 09 for some reason.

Roughly,
MT 09 is 120hp/415lbs
MT 07 is 75h/400 lbs
8S is 82hp/445 lbs
I might have missed out! A early fz09 with tires and kick ass bars would have kept me happy for a decade

The weight difference is alarming and contrary to offroad theory...slap to the enthusiasts.

Looked at them at the dealership.

8S
IMG_20230808_141426346.jpg

Vstrom
IMG_20230808_141433341.jpg

8S gets different foot controls, shorter swingarm, shorter forks. Same frame.

Explains the removable subframe. Same thing Yamaha did with the CP3 engine/chassis. Bolt on a different subframe/body and the FZ09 is now a FJ09.

Seat lock on the 8S caught my eye straight way. In your face water catcher.
IMG-20230808-WA0012.jpeg

Has a horribly cheap vending machine look to it. Gritty, sandblasted looking chrome plating in it. 😒
IMG_20230808_141603073.jpg

I might have missed out! A early fz09 with tires and kick ass bars would have kept me happy for a decade
My FZ07 was a nightmare on a gravel road, but my FZ09 loves it. Very delicate underbelly and not much ground clearance, though. I blew the oil pan off my 07 on a not very big rock.
16917191552291260356110924898167.jpg

Eee.I kicked up a slab piece today. I changed bikes at lunch.. the dl1000 might have smashed the oil cooletr. stroms weakness is the low slung oil cooler. Fz09 would be a blast...less weight

Retro version would be cool. I personally don’t like the angular look.

Saw the 8S and 8R bike today in Clarksville, TN. Given the MSRP, these are decent bikes. Something I'd consider. Lower foot peg location for both. Higher bars on the 8R. A windscreen for the 8S.

I like the full size tires and 310mm front discs.

Suspension isn't really adjustable, but maybe it's close enough for street riding.

Thinking.... Could be a nice stable mate with my current bikes.

Really like the power/torque curves of my AT and it's hard to beat. Just want a road bike with 17" wheels and street suspension. Doesn't have to be top-dollar race quality. Used to ride the heck out 70's Honda fours.

Any 8S or 8R riders here?

Last edited:
Really like the power/torque curves of my AT and it's hard to beat. Just want a road bike with 17" wheels and street suspension.
I totally get that. I am really interested in a AT on 17's myself. Hoping Honda would build one, but the new Hornet might be just the ticket, though. Haven't ridden one, but everything points to it have really good, torquey power.

Top Bottom Back Refresh