What's new

Suzuki V-Strom DL 800DE spotted.

Amos Malone

Member Number
Possible Suzuki V-Strom 650 replacement spotted, as reported in Advpulse. Edit. The 800DE will slot between the current V-Twins. The V-Strom 650 will continue in production for a while longer.

all-new-Suzuki-V-strom-700-spied-768x488.jpg

"So, in the photos we see a new (normally-aspirated) parallel- twin engine nestled in a new frame. The swingarm also appears to be different, at least in its more rounded shape, while a switch to a new upside fork dampens the front end. The most interesting detail for adventure riders looking for a competent new middleweight might be the test bike’s dirt friendly 21 -inch spoked front wheel and 18- 17 inch spoked rear, promising a true off-road intention."

all-new-Suzuki-V-strom-700-spied-2-768x508.jpg

Photos: Kanyarfoto

Some edits nov 2022. Changed title and description.

Last edited:
How can it be a V-Strom with a parallel twin?
Looks more like a BMW knock off

The spec sheet shows it to be better equipped than the new transalp. Price is yet to be announced.

I'd venture a price tag of a bit over $20,000.

Here's an article on the new bike:

Suzuki unveils all-new 2023 V-Strom 800DE and GSX-8S parallel twins​

After relying on the same trusty engine designs for years, Suzuki just debuted an all-new parallel twin. This engine is available in two motorcycles: the V-Strom 800DE adventurer and the GSX-8S sport naked. First, we'll check out the new twin, and then we'll take a closer look at the two bikes that use it.

Meet Suzuki's new engine​

GSX-8S_Features_Engine_1124x936.jpg

Cutaway of the new engine. Suzuki illustration.

The new engine displaces 776 cc and Suzuki claims it produces just over 80 horsepower at 8,500 rpm. Bore is 84.0 mm with a stroke of 70 mm and a compression ratio of 12.8:1. Peak torque of 57.5 foot pounds hits at 6,800 rpm. By the numbers, this is a respectable entry into the hot twins class. The overall design is compact and suitable for many different kinds of motorcycle platforms, just like the offerings we’ve seen from other mainstream brands.
Suzuki uses a 270-degree crank like many of today’s popular p-twins. Suzuki even suggests that the unique sound and power delivery of the 270-degree will provide "a similar power delivery as the 90-degree V-twins used in other Suzukis.” It’s no secret what those “other Suzukis” might be. The V-Strom 800DE and the GSX-8S will likely replace the V-Strom 650 and SV650 V-twins in Suzuki’s lineup, so making the new parallel twin feel a bit like the beloved vees isn’t a bad idea.

GSX800RQM3_balancer.jpg
This is Suzuki's illustration of the dual counterbalancer design. This looks like the same kind of clever thinking that gave us mechanical VVT on the big Gixxer. Suzuki illustration.

Suzuki claims its “industry-exclusive Suzuki Cross Balancer” makes the engine feel smooth and responsive without adding too much weight to the engine itself. Each piston gets a small dedicated balancer to cut down on vibes. Throttle-by-wire means ride modes and traction control settings will be available for the V-Strom and Gixxus. There’s a cable-actuated slip/assist clutch, a six-speed transmission, and standard up/down quickshifters for both new bikes.

2023 Suzuki V-Strom 800DE and 800DE Adventure first look​

Is it blasphemy to put a p-twin in a V-strom without changing the name? Maybe, but P-Strom sounds a bit strange, and the V-Strom name is so synonymous with Suzuki’s ADV line that the name soldiers on 20 years after the introduction of the original. Unfortunately, pricing has not been announced, but we have just about all the other details for this model.

The V-Strom 800DE is an upper-middleweight ADV bike featuring the 776 cc parallel twin engine, an all-new steel frame (with removable steel subframe and optional center stand), fresh styling, and some new tech features. The downside to the added power and dirt prowess is the jump in weight over the 650. The V-Strom 800DE carries a claimed wet weight of 509 pounds, which is considerably more than competitors like the Yamaha Ténéré 700 or Honda’s new Transalp. Other notable changes include the 21-inch front wheel and upside-down Showa fork for all models. The fork and rear shock are both fully adjustable, with a remote preload adjuster at the rear to easily accommodate pillion and/or cargo weight. The 800DE Adventure adds crash bars, gold rims, a bigger alloy skid plate, and two of Suzuki’s 37-liter accessory panniers with a black anodized finish.

DL800DERCM3_YU1_left.jpg

The new V-Strom has taller suspension and more power to match its updated looks. Suzuki photo.

Suzuki boosted both ground clearance and suspension travel to 8.7 inches, which makes the 800DE one of the most capable V-Stroms ever built. There’s a 90/90-21 up front and a 150/70-17 at the rear, so owners should have no shortage of tire options for everything from street touring to fully off-road riding. The wheels use stainless spokes and aluminum rims for durability and light weight. The wheels are not tubeless. Handguards and adjustable levers come standard. The windscreen is adjustable, although only to three positions and you’ll need to use an Allen key.

DL800DERCM3_strip_1.jpg

The new parallel twin is smaller and more powerful than the 650 V-twin, but the V-Strom's overall weight has increased. Suzuki photo.

In the tech department, Suzuki gives the V-Strom a new “Gravel” traction control mode, plus switchable ABS, full LED lighting, and a five-inch TFT dash. A USB port is tucked into the left side of the dash to power your phone, GPS unit, or other device.

DL800DERCAM3_YVB_diagonal.png

Here's the V-Strom 800DE Adventure with its luggage and gold wheels. Suzuki photo.

The V-Strom 800DE will be available in Champion Yellow No. 2 or Glass Matte Mechanical Gray. The V-STROM 800DE Adventure will come in Glass Sparkle Black.

Worth the wait?​

Suzuki has been teasing new twins for almost a decade. Now that the bikes are finally heading to production, it seems the 650 V-twin's days may be numbered. It's nice to see Suzuki releasing a totally new platform, but the ADV and sport naked twin classes are fiercely competitive right now. Hopefully we'll get our hands on the new V-Strom 800DE and GSX-8S soon to give you our thoughts on the two new bikes.
2023 SUZUKI V-STROM 800DE AND 800DE ADVENTURE2023 SUZUKI GSX-8S
Price (MSRP)TBATBA
Engine776 cc, liquid-cooled, 270-degree V-twin776 cc, liquid-cooled, 270-degree V-twin
Transmission,
final drive
Six-speed, chainSix-speed, chain
Claimed horsepower83 @ 8,500 rpm83 @ 8,500 rpm
Claimed torque57.5 foot-pounds @ 6,800 rpm57.5 foot-pounds @ 6,800 rpm
FrameSteel tubularSteel tubular
Front suspensionShowa USD fork, fully adjustable; 8.7 inches of travelKYB USD fork; 5.1 inches of travel
Rear suspensionShowa monoshock, fully adjustable; 8.7 inches of travelKYB shock, adjustable for preload
Front brakeDual Nissin two-piston calipers, 310 mm discs, ABSDual Nissin radial-mount four-piston calipers, 310 mm discs, ABS
Rear brakeNissin single-piston caliper, 265 mm disc, ABSNissin single-piston caliper, 240 mm disc, ABS
Wheelbase61.8 inches57.7 inches
Seat height33.7 inches31.9 inches
Fuel capacity5.3 gallons3.69 gallons
TiresDunlop Trailmax Mixtour, 90/60R21 front, 150/70R17 rearDunlop RoadSport 2, 120/70ZR17 front; 180/55ZR17 rear
Claimed weight507 pounds (wet)445 pounds
AvailableTBATBA
Warranty12 months12 months
More infosuzukicycles.comsuzukicycles.com

Honestly, I think I still like the T7 better. IF I COULD FIND ONE. could well be the true unicorn. :lol3

Honestly, I think I still like the T7 better. IF I COULD FIND ONE. could well be the true unicorn. :lol3

they are getting more plentiful, T7, have a look

I've owned them all, Yami, Kawi, Suzi, KTM, Honda etc

Right now I have the CRF450L and a new Trans ALP would be nice.

also , I have the Wifes V Strom for Sale, and it needs to go - mainly cause no one rides it :2cry

// end of rant.

(edit) Bike is sold.

Last edited:
I had a v Strom, same year as yours I believe. I just couldn't get along with the ergos. Great bikes I know. I got the chance to ride an AT and a T7 the same afternoon. After that I was hooked as I'm now trying to move a couple bikes to make room for one of those machines

I wonder if the throttle spring(s) would be able to be altered to not return? Sticky throttles or throttle cables were always my poor-man's cruise control.

Being a cyclist, I'm a little shocked that they haven't made it tubeless - even if it was only with rim tap to seal off the spoke holes. Tubeless, above all else, (with sealant inside) is worth being picky about.

No experience with Vstroms and I know the SV650's have been popular since that engine came out in the 90's. About 5 years ago I was looking to buy a new SV650 but , compared to the tidiness of the FZ07, the V twin engine on the Suzuki looked very sloppy and bulky. Radiator hoses hanging out in the middle of nowhere. I think going to a parallel twin is a smart move.

Folks have been crazy about Yamaha's Crossplane twin. I got a chuckle out of Suzuki using the wording of a Cross Balanced engine 😁 Get on them coat tails.

Back
Top Bottom