What's new

Teaching a noob

Again, great work sir. I admire your candor and am learning a lot from your posts. My wife still isn’t ready to learn to ride but when she is I’m going to be a lot more prepared than I would have been. :thumb
Excellent and thank you for the encouraging words.

2 noob stories:

1) I've gotten my wife to ride dirtbikes along w/ the kid and I. We used to mountain bike together before he was born. I was able to turn her loose on the SurRon as its just a big mountain bike you don't pedal. She has quite liked it (but doesn't have the love of it like I do.) It also made her realize how much physical effort it is to ride a motorcycle! She used to make fun of my how easy it should be if you don't have to pedal - that doesn't happen any more :) Once, when the SurRon died on the trail she was able to ride the TTR125LE back while I was towed on the SurRon by a friend. She got the hang of the clutch 'ok'. I've liked teaching people to ride in the dirt. You are going slow, falls hurt less, bikes are lighter, and its fairly easy to stay in a really tight group. I start noobs w/ the electric bikes (no clutch/gears is one less thing to think about) and move them onto the XR/TTR pit-bikes when ready.

2) We've taught 7 folks from the office to ride. All passed the MSF course first go and gotten a license. 6 have bought bikes. I have an XR100 and TTR125LE to teach folks on in the big lot behind the office. Light, super non-intimidating, and no big deal if you drop them. We use the flat soccer 'cones' like posted earlier in this thread. I have invited all of them out to ride in the dirt on those same bikes. We focus a lot on slow super tight turns where you have to lean the bike way over, slip the clutch, and balance.
One of my coworkers is a 5'3"(?) lady. I helped her find and buy a 2nd gen Ninja 250 (man that thing has a sewing machine of a motor!) We lowered it so she can comfortably touch both feet in her tall boots. We also carefully laid it down in the grass and taught her how to pick it up. That has come in useful as she's dropped it a couple times by herself at a stop.
We take new riders on the road in a 'pack'. Put them in the middle somewhere and tell them to follow the leader. Folks in the front control the pace. Folks in the back can block traffic if there is a problem or help open up a larger 'hole' to do safer lane changes. Basically we act like helicopter parents sheltering them their first few rides. Slowly go farther and faster on rides as they get the hang of it. So, get at least one of your friends to help you out ride/teach. If in front, they need to be very mindful of their speed and lines through corners so a noob can learn and follow.
What seems to catch most everyone out is their first 'at speed' turn. The gyroscopic forces on the wheels, you really have to push on the bars to lean it over. No matter how much we tell them to expect this, it spooks them a little and they run a little wide. (no one has gone off yet - knock on wood.) So find a safe (wide) turn/esses and repeat slowly increasing speed.

I love exposing new people to the sport. Good on you for teaching your wife! (mine calls me 'intimidating/judgemental' so I actually get friends to help her as much as possible.)

Back
Top Bottom