What's new

Teaching a noob

I'm pretty good on a bike. Can hold my own on the street and outrun most of my buds in the dirt. Not trying to brag, I think it's just a side effect of how my mind works. But scooters? Holy shit, I tried to ride one a few times and that's always been the clumsiest I've ever felt in my whole life.

Handlebars are so damn narrow. Any hand motion seems extra exaggerated. Maybe it's the little tires? I don't know, they feel scarily twitchy for good reason.

The step thru aspect...simply trying to squeeze my knees together was tiring and distracting, but having no bike to straddle felt so wrong. Never felt comfortable. Always like I was gonna slide off the thing or get bounced off.

I'm not a little guy. 6'2". Coming to a stop on a scooter, with those nervous little handlebars, and trying to get my feet out wide enough to clear the footboard (?) felt totally sketchy.

Small bike to learn on? No doubt.

Scooter to learn on? Feels like the hardest bike to ride slow I've ever seen 😂

I'll take a little wheel dirt bike over a step thru any day. $0.02
If you are used to a motorcycle a scooter may seem strange until you get used to it. For someone who has no motorcycle experience a scooter will be much easier to ride. I am used to both scooters and motorcycles and switch between them all the time. A small scooter is much easier to ride especially in low speed situations.

Small wheels tend to make a scooter seem twitchy although some scooters have up to 16" wheels and will feel more like a motorcycle. It's the low weight' low CG and auto tranny that makes scooter so easy to handle. On the other hand, Scooters generally don't have really low seats while some small motorcycles do. For someone with a short inseam a small cruiser like a Virago 250 or Rebel 300 might be the ideal bike to start on.

I was thinking more of the bikes most guys are riding when comparing price. Vespa GTS is the largest and most powerful Vespa model, and one of the most expensive scooters for the engine size. As such it would make more sense to compare it to BMW RS 1250. If you were comparing prices with regular low cc bike level it would make more sense to compare that with the Asian scooter brands.
Compared to the average price of motorcycle in US (12000 usd), scooters are cheap.
But the topic was teaching a noob to ride. Would you suggest a BMW RS 1250 for a starter bike for a short woman? The OP bought a Yamaha MT03 for a learner bike for his GF.

But the topic was teaching a noob to ride. Would you suggest a BMW RS 1250 for a starter bike for a short woman? The OP bought a Yamaha MT03 for a learner bike for his GF.

OT comment -

Two women with little to no experience decided several years ago to ride to Alaska, from Texas. It is a great Ride, why not?

Against the advise of my buddy the sales manager, They bought a Pair of new R1200GSAs, w/ the low suspension, had the local shop Farkle the bikes to the hilt, panniers etc
With the BWM riding suits, they spent about $60K

Mind you these two gals were new riders, a buck twenty each, if that. maybe 5' 5" tall.

They were back in about a week and traded the pair of 1200GSA's, for a pair of new 650's with the low suspension.

Moral of the story , Yeah - Size Matters. Learning to ride off road on a big bike is tough.

End of RR.

Last edited:
We did consider the TU250 and Rebel 250/300 (which is what they used in the class) and a Buell Blast. The cruiser types have their weight up higher and had a less than natural seating position for her. The Buell well... nah. They were not bikes she wanted. I found the MT03 for a steal, its a bike I would have bought anyway. Does everything well and is like riding a bowling ball. I was able to lower it so its (not ideal) usable and its light up top, unlike the cruiser style. Even with the MT03s soft power delivery, brakes and suspension its a bike she will likely be able to ride for as long as she wants. It wont feel like a waste of money when put good suspension and brakes on it.

Coming soon, search for a dual sport when an XT250 is too tall. UGH!

We did consider the TU250 and Rebel 250/300 (which is what they used in the class) and a Buell Blast. The cruiser types have their weight up higher and had a less than natural seating position for her. The Buell well... nah. They were not bikes she wanted. I found the MT03 for a steal, its a bike I would have bought anyway. Does everything well and is like riding a bowling ball. I was able to lower it so its (not ideal) usable and its light up top, unlike the cruiser style. Even with the MT03s soft power delivery, brakes and suspension its a bike she will likely be able to ride for as long as she wants. It wont feel like a waste of money when put good suspension and brakes on it.

Coming soon, search for a dual sport when an XT250 is too tall. UGH!

Throw dirt tires on a 390 Duke.

A friend of mine bailed on a MSF course- the instructor was a jerk- he made them swelter in the sun all the way through and the class was taught using full-size harleys. She somehow got the inside of her thighs burned on the rear cylinder and fell twice; each time the only thing the instructor did was yell at her to pick it up and forbade everyone in the class from helping her.. terrible instructor but apparently he's been doing it that way for years.. the dealership didn't care about it when she called afterwards.

She's still maybe interested in riding and I'm nearly done working up a XS400 for her which is a way better bike to learn on. I suppose I could do some basic drills with her in a school parking lot- anyone have a sense of what kinds of drills besides the obvious ones would be most helpful just to get her going?

She should contact MSF. I've know a lot of instructors, none of which are jerks.

I urged her to do so, but she didn't push it beyond talking to the dealership. I was shocked as well, I took the MSF basic and advanced courses thru Harley dealerships- they push the koolaid but the instructors have been top-notch. The advanced course was taught by a motor cop; we had a lady drop her bike in that one a couple times and the entire class helped her up on both occasions, the instructor did a thorough writeup on both incidents. My friend's guy didn't do anything but yell. I'm glad she bailed instead of putting up with his b.s.... it still aggravates me more than it does her.

lol, that advanced course was funny, it was strange having a cop there as an instructor encouraging me to push the bike and me on my R6 not the lawful prey :rofl

I urged her to do so, but she didn't push it beyond talking to the dealership. I was shocked as well, I took the MSF basic and advanced courses thru Harley dealerships- they push the koolaid but the instructors have been top-notch. The advanced course was taught by a motor cop; we had a lady drop her bike in that one a couple times and the entire class helped her up on both occasions, the instructor did a thorough writeup on both incidents. My friend's guy didn't do anything but yell. I'm glad she bailed instead of putting up with his b.s.... it still aggravates me more than it does her.

lol, that advanced course was funny, it was strange having a cop there as an instructor encouraging me to push the bike and me on my R6 not the lawful prey :rofl
A state University here has sponsored MSF stuff forever. Also community colleges do.

Your friend’s experience totally confirms my very longstanding less than positive attitude ref HD programs.

A state University here has sponsored MSF stuff forever. Also community colleges do.

Your friend’s experience totally confirms my very longstanding less than positive attitude ref HD programs.

I hope her experience is rare. We used Buell Blasts for my MSF Basic, worked fine- why her dealership used full-size Harleys amazes me- she showed me a pic of their course bikes- Dyna's I think. If they must have new bikes why not some cheapie import 200 or 300-ish cc. Maybe they were too precious to work on non-MoCo hardware.

I hope her experience is rare. We used Buell Blasts for my MSF Basic, worked fine- why her dealership used full-size Harleys amazes me- she showed me a pic of their course bikes- Dyna's I think. If they must have new bikes why not some cheapie import 200 or 300-ish cc. Maybe they were too precious to work on non-MoCo hardware.
You sure they were the full-size Harleys? Most HD schools use the Street 500 (I think that's the name). Still big and heavy compared to the 125s and 250s a non-HD school typically uses.

In any event I'd have her take the school at a different place, a place where they use small bikes.

You sure they were the full-size Harleys? Most HD schools use the Street 500 (I think that's the name). Still big and heavy compared to the 125s and 250s a non-HD school typically uses.

In any event I'd have her take the school at a different place, a place where they use small bikes.

Yeah thats a lot more likely- she took a pic across the range, all i saw was way too big and way too heavy. That pipe on the right sure seems like it'd be liable to burn a thigh in the right circumstances.

You are getting down into the mini-bikes a la Grom, Monkey or DAX to get any smaller.

TW200 maybe?
Yeah, I may be able to get an XT225/250 close enough to have fun on the FS roads I ride. Thats probably the extent of her off pavement aspirations. TW is a great bike and maybe able to get low enough but she busted out laughing when she saw it.

not really on OP target. Close. Years ago. A good friend, prior univ student of professor pillion wanted to get a street bike. (She had childhood hours on mini on family farm. Asked me. She was getting the then std bs about sportsters. A cleaned up my story is “ninja 250 or I’m out”.

We live on some Butler red and orange roads. We rode around some. I gave her some suggestions. We trailered to Deals Gap. ( not far). I led one N bound and one S bound pass.

“Just run some up and down and we’ll see you later. DO NOT pass anything.”

LOL. All I can say is a 5’0” woman on a blue Ninja 250 will not follow the lesson plan …

not really on OP target. Close. Years ago. A good friend, prior univ student of professor pillion wanted to get a street bike. (She had childhood hours on mini on family farm. Asked me. She was getting the then std bs about sportsters. A cleaned up my story is “ninja 250 or I’m out”.

We live on some Butler red and orange roads. We rode around some. I gave her some suggestions. We trailered to Deals Gap. ( not far). I led one N bound and one S bound pass.

LOL. All I can say is a 5’0” woman on a blue Ninja 250 will not follow the lesson plan …
lucky you !

that 1st Gen Ninja 250 with the 16-inch wheels is an awesome bike for a small-framed female.

I mean, you see what riding a Ninja makes perfectly reasonable men get up to- no reason a woman wouldn't be similarly affected :D

I've always wanted to ride one of the smaller Kawi's- missed a chance to rent one a few years ago on Maui, would've tooled around the island a bit- up and down the mountain and so on, but as usual work interfered...

Top Bottom Back Refresh