What's new

Tell us about your Ebike

Stewie is hawking e bikes now?:D

It certainly can vary from state to state and maybe city to city, but I believe most ebikes have to be pedal assist only (no throttles) and max speed of 20mph assist. So those would only be "legal" if they disabled the throttle and assist only up to 20mph.

Covered before... Only by the loosest definitions could those ever be considered bicycles.
I asked about that ... the guy said checked in with the KELLER , TX Police before buying them ( he said the pair was close to $8K USD and wanted a ruling beofre purchase) .

Officer said if they set the Max speed to 20 MPH (setting 2 on the app) ... Then they were legal as "bikes" on the same trails my wife walks daily.

It all depends on the local folks who enforce the local laws.

YMMV - I am sure places other large metro USA area have various rules. What is OK in Austin TX , may be verboten in NYC

1666018067758.png

She loves it. Smaller wheels means a bit rougher on the unpaved trails, but she can outrun me with it.
How is it going from Cycle/scooter to it with the different steering geometry? I tried a pedal folding bike once and it was unrideable for me.

Gocity is a bicycle and could actually be pedalled occasionally... Taking notes MVI? :imaposer

Budget Shimano drivetrain is a bonus, but my impression is that it is a little bit nasty. It might be okay for light use. If it was to be ridden every day and as primary transport I'd find something better. For regular use upgrade to something using Shimano Steps electric drivetrain. They cost more, but even budget line they are the basis of a much better ebike.

Last edited:
How is it going from Cycle/scooter to it with the different steering geometry? I tried a pedal folding bike once and it was unrideable for me.
She pedals it all the time, just using pedal assist when on hills. She is only 4' 10", which is why the small bike. I even had the cut the seat receiver to lower it more.

I got a Rad Power Rover for myself and a Rad Expand for my wife. Mine was $700 off. $1299 for mine and $1599 for hers. Hers has the small wheels and is folding. Both have 750W hub motors, 20MPH speed limited. Learning how much pedal assist to use based on how steep the hill is. Drove to Crofton MD for a test ride two weeks ago to avoid buying something we didn't like. Wife didn't want to go for a ride today, so just my photos from the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg. The last photos are a fox I saw running up the hill. Didn't expect to see that in the middle of the city. We have a parking area for the local greenbelt 2 miles from home. 7 miles and 250' elevation change round trip from parking area to museum. Did a short novice mtn bike path along the way. Should have downshifted first. Had to stop to lift bike over logs. I'm liking the bike a lot.
1668111642201.jpeg

1668111665236.jpeg

1668111694278.jpeg

1668111714040.jpeg

1668111737907.jpeg

1668111763794.jpeg

1668111793521.jpeg

1668111815511.jpeg

1668111873708.jpeg

For long term storage, I’ve heard differing opinions on what state of charge the batteries prefer to be left at.
I might not ride my E bike till spring but then again I would hate to turn down a ride because my battery wasn’t charged.

Reactions: MVI
We store at 40-70% SoC, refrigerator will slow self discharge during long term storage, run 80-20%, any charge over 80% is used immediately.

Oh, and maximum discharge rate of 0.3C...

Just my 0.0000246c worth... :dunno

Reactions: MVI
I bought a Rad Rover 6+ Step Through at $700 off for $1299 in October. The bike is a hoot to ride except for 30 MPH on spindly bicycle brakes going down a steep hill. I had a set of studded tires mounted and have been commuting with it to my part time medical appointment van gig 4 miles away. The studded Terrene Cake Eater tires are phenomenal on snow covered ice.
20221113_130625.jpg

I bought a Rad Rover 6+ Step Through at $700 off for $1299 in October. The bike is a hoot to ride except for 30 MPH on spindly bicycle brakes going down a steep hill. I had a set of studded tires mounted and have been commuting with it to my part time medical appointment van gig 4 miles away. The studded Terrene Cake Eater tires are phenomenal on snow covered ice.
20221113_130625.jpg

You might want to put some protection for the wires under the bottom bracket. Here's what I made for mine. Just zip ties holding the back up.

1673825222292.jpeg

20221113_130625.jpg
I put some inexpensive 4 piston calipers and it transformed the braking. Stopping on that mnt downhill is no longer a concern.

I rode a friend's Specialized Vado SL 5.0 last week and now I need to get an e-bike. At 33 lbs, the SL was incredible but I've got bad knees and the reduced torque of the SL vs the regular Vado has me worried about hills. I want mostly road use, not overly heavy, decent torque, quality components. Mid-drive is a must. Removeable battery would be nice but not a deal killer. Under $5K. Under $4K would be even better. Any opinions on the Specialized Vado (4.0 or 5.0) or the Gazelle Ultimate T10 or T10+?

I haven't tried an ebike. But have ridden 4 different stand up scoots. All could be kick assist with lower deck heights. I actually enjoy an occasional ride. The performance is nice for the weight and the folded size for storage. I originally wanted an ebike but the small wheels have crazy torque.The 1st unagi scoot I purchased I wont recommend unless smooth parking lot gymkhana is the goal. The 2nd scoot, a gotrax apex was purchased on sale $200. I have about 50 miles on both. The apex has been jumped and wheelied every ride.

$4K Buys a wolfking gtr in the scooter world. A $1000 would get a pretty slick scoot. I wont consider ebikes for sometime.

I bought SWMBO a Lectric brand eBike last year. She is 5'1" so the small frame/small wheel works best for her. It's a Class 3 and with me on it and on the throttle it hits 28 mph with ease. I'm bigger and a few months later, ordered a Rad Rover 6+ High Step for myself. Mine arrived with a bad battery, but Rad remedied that with a new battery that works fine. The fat tired (4") Rad is a Class 2 with a 20 mph top speed - adequate for my pavement/beach use. Both companies run almost constant sales.

They've spoiled me.

Lectric has a new full size XPeak fat-tire model coming out in the Spring. Probably will be faster than the Rad, but the build quality on my Rad looks better than her Lectric IMHO. The throttle response is much smoother too.

Last edited:
I forget how much I use mine. The village is a couple of kilometres from my house and both are car free zones. Most of my riding is on an analogue bike.

2020 Pinarello Nytro gravel is a lightweight ebike for cyclists. Around 13kg. It is a high-ish end build with Shimano GRX-800 group and DT carbon wheels. The power delivery has been modified, but it has been so long since I looked at it I can't recall what it is. Well below EN15194 standards. At its maximum it has a hard limit of 180-200W (original Fazua drive has a 450W max and and EN 250W thermal limit) and minimum rider input is something like 1:1. For example I put in 180W to get 180W boost. 360W. No free ride. I don't recall the exact multiplier or curve. 25kph limit so for me the boost is really only practical cruising up hill. The low setting is somewhat less, but I can still arrive not sweaty.

Our cycling club shop sells ebikes modified to lower power settings.

I built the same with a single track trailer for my mum (53) to replace her ageing city bike. She resisted at first. Drop bars and lycra were not her thing. She is 160cm and a trim 52kg -ish so appearance wasn't it, more modesty. She didn't like the attention, but she came around.And wasn't looking for performance. Now she is even fussy about shoes wanting more performance instead of something easy to walk in. She spends most of her time riding above the electric cut out speed and using the boost to help flatten mountains near her home and negate strong head winds. Exactly how I think it should be done, Her natural pace is about 160W (FTP ~240W), enough to push gravel tyres and trailer at 32kph. Without thinking about it 40-60km every day on cycle trails connecting nearby villages. And she is not afraid of weather.

It was at about this time in 2020 I gave her that bike and it has been perfect for her.

Top Bottom Back Refresh