What's new

Tensa Hammock Stand

Amphib

Member Number
Any of y’all have experience with these?

Gearing up for the TAT this year, I don’t sleep on the ground, so I’m going to need something for my hammock out west and not to complicate camp searches with my tent sleeping partner.

I’m torn between the flagship Tensa4:

And the solo:

I was all set to order the solo but noticed that it can be more problematic because of its reliance on firm staking.

Any real world reports or experience? Obviously I’d prefer to be as light and small as possible, but ultimately, my quality of sleep will be the determining factor.

TIA

Just on specs, the Solo model looks a lot easier to carry on a bike. 52 oz (3.25 lbs) compared to 229 oz (14.3 lbs). The difference in bulk may be noteworthy, too.

As for staking, if you're riding with at least one other, you have two bikes that can aid in anchoring your stand.
I like the way you think. The solo would be in fact 52oz x2 but I hear what you’re saying.

I’m going to be shaving some weight in other areas, but the more the better.

I had a solo. It works as long as you set it up per the directions. This isn't my photo up top but it certainly shows the capability. I went with the boomstakes because they pack better than the screws. I think had the Solo in one of those roll top bags in the lower photo or I had it in its bag in between them. One Solo goes a long way I would probably figure out how to attach the other end to my bike to avoid carrying two.

fullsizeoutput_30b3.jpg

2020_0820_19391950-jpg.jpg

Just as an alternative, have you considered a free standing back packing tent?? Sea to Summit came out with a few options.

When I did the TAT in 2008, I used a full blown Exped Andromeda that was a bear to pack but quick to set up and bombproof. Equipment has changed a lot since then.... :lol3 I must say that finding rocks to fasten the 4 corners on the tunnel tent was pretty easy but I wish I had the free standing tent that I have now, which is an Exped Orion III btw.. YMMV

As for staking, if you're riding with at least one other, you have two bikes that can aid in anchoring your stand.
So, I've tried this in the front yard once before. Perhaps because it was a measly 250cc, the bike kept flopping over. That thing was wobbly as shit. :lol2

That being said, I'm jaded now because I don't trust anything other than a tree or a building set on 4' frost walls. :lol2

I have a solo. I use it with both of my hammocks. I think it's great, but I only have one side. I really don't need to carry it with my 90 degree, because that is designed to go to ground if needed, but I usually do anyway for piece of mind. Recommended if you don't mind the weight. I use the orange screws and have never had a problem in the northeast. I could see it becoming an issue out west in hard, dry ground.

Honestly, the best solution is probably a hammock system that is comfortable with a pad, that you can go to ground with. That eliminates a gathered end, for me at least. If I was traveling out west, the 90 degree would be my solution. It's also more comfortable and packs smaller than anything else I've seen/used.

IMG_20200818_103238.jpg
ht90solo.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. I pulled the trigger on a tensa4. I emailed them and got an almost immediate response. I pretty much posed the same question and the only reason to get the solo is if the lbs matter that much. The 4 can be set up absolutely anywhere, garages, pavilions, parking lots, basements… I really dig that flexibility.

I’m re-thinking my whole kit. I just received some Tusk pilot panniers and I’m initially pretty pleased. I’ve been using happy trail aluminum boxes, love ‘em but for many reasons, safety included, wanted to go soft. Mosko misses out on another sale from me. They NEVER have what i need in stock when I’m shopping. Ever. So maybe this was a little divine intervention….. getting to save nearly $800.

I did also purchase an 11’ warbonnet tarp for my blackbird xlc. Had been using a 13’ eno profly xl, so i can avoid buying the tarp extensions.

I’ll post something when i get it and have a chance to set it up.

Last edited:
That $800 goes a long way towards gas and lodging for your trip! :thumb Good luck with the Tensa4 ! Lets us know how it works out for you..

I’m re-thinking my whole kit. I just received some Tusk pilot panniers and I’m initially pretty pleased.
If it's not too late, consider GL Siskiyou. imho, they're the best of the "pannier" type soft bags. Lightweight, for what they are, lots of space. Side pockets, inner waterproof bags. tough build.

I did also purchase an 11’ warbonnet tarp for my blackbird xlc. Had been using a 13’ eno profly xl, so i can avoid buying the tarp extensions.
I've got a SuperFly and a WBBXLC myself. That is a badass setup.

I've got a SuperFly and a WBBXLC myself. That is a badass setup.
Yeah, I love that hammock. That was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. I had been using an old eno doublenest. I used that thing till it was disintegrating. I had no idea what i was missing.

I went with the mountain fly. I definitely had some trouble trying to decide which.

I’m itching for it to get here and use it all.

Next upgrade will be quilts, but I’ll worry about that next year.

Next upgrade will be quilts, but I’ll worry about that next year.
man I screwed up there. I went on a six day ride with the hammock. it was something like August and I didn't have an underquilt. Not thinking I needed one anyways since it was so warm, I'd be fine. I. FROZE. I ended up stuffing my riding gear under the little pouch area to try to help, but that didn't do a damned thing. I was shivering all night long. that sucked. :lol2

man I screwed up there. I went on a six day ride with the hammock. it was something like August and I didn't have an underquilt. Not thinking I needed one anyways since it was so warm, I'd be fine. I. FROZE. I ended up stuffing my riding gear under the little pouch area to try to help, but that didn't do a damned thing. I was shivering all night long. that sucked. :lol2

I used an insulated sleeping pad in my hammock for a bit, to help with insulation. Anything below mid 50’s at night, requires some insulation under the hammock. I made the same mistake.

I went a couple years without quilts. Ive done quite a bit of experimentation…. Camped down into the teens, was definitely chilly, but with good hiking base layers, premium sleeping bag, it was manageable. I know we all have different tolerances. I finally picked up a set but they’re pretty lightweight. I like them for the warmer months because I’ll leave the bag at home and travel lighter. It is definitely more comfortable not having to use a sleeping bag.

I have a -20 bag, an ultra lightweight down 40+ bag, and last fall bought a 20° down bag. I have a combination for most any weather now. A better set of quilts will just mean I’ll roll without bags more often…i think.

Back
Top Bottom