What's new

Test Rides - The Demand Curve

Right now the demand for bikes is so high compared to the supply that dealers really have little incentive to offer test rides. I'm sure that will change at some time but right now that's the case.

I understand, but that's just one of the many excuses used to justify "no test rides" IMO. Many riders or would be riders get conditioned that test rides are not available, so don't ask/demand them.

Even today, I can walk into my local BMW dealer and test ride anything. It is a business philosophy, shortages notwithstanding.

There is a large local dealer that sells BMW, Indian and all four Japanese brands. They tend to charge high fees on their bikes so I have never bought a bike there. I did some test rides there when the Indian demo truck was there. I have seen some people doing test rides on other bikes but I wonder if their policy is different for the different brands? I'll have to ask next time I stop by there.

Ducati/Triumph/BMW/Aprilia....zero issues, have tested everything from a BMW GS310 to a Triumph 675/765 to a Panigale. Would have bought the 675 bought couldn't agree on price.

Big 4....99% of the time denied with the usual reasons (insurance, liability, we don't like you, etc) but did find a local dealer and rode a couple of Kawasakis (versys 650/1k, KLX, etc). Oh and btw, did not buy any of the green bikes I test rode.

My understanding is that the manufacturers allocate a certain number of bikes to the dealer and demos get charged at something like 94-95% of the value of a regular bike but it's very unlikely such a bike can be sold to the public at 94-95% of the new price when it's got 1k miles or 10 hours (for a dirtbike). So the dealer could be on the hook for a bike that they are charged 95% of new but can only sell for 80%. This might well really take away any incentive dealers from even taking on a demo bike. Maybe Bultaco206 can chime in :)

Being a dirt only rider though it's much easier to just ask a friend or acquaintance on the trail to try out their bike. Beta and Yamaha still have various group demo events for dirtbikes and KTM used to I believe, pre-covid.

Right now the demand for bikes is so high compared to the supply that dealers really have little incentive to offer test rides. I'm sure that will change at some time but right now that's the case.
I doubt it. In my experience, dealers that don't allow test rides now have never offered test rides. It may be true that there are no bikes available to test ride due to the shortage, but I have no doubt that the dealers who've given me test rides in the past would still allow it if they had any bikes available.

I doubt it. In my experience, dealers that don't allow test rides now have never offered test rides. It may be true that there are no bikes available to test ride due to the shortage, but I have no doubt that the dealers who've given me test rides in the past would still allow it if they had any bikes available.
I think that for the most part you are right but the chance of getting a test ride might be a little higher when the dealer has a lot of inventory sitting around.

I looked at a few nearby Japanese bike dealership websites, they all have pop-ups asking to schedule test rides.

Beta does a touring demo days for dirt and trials bikes. I believe it sells bikes for them.
My Beta is the only bike that ever bought without a test ride.I did a lot of research first, Reviews were outstanding and knew what I wanted/required. Price was the only issue. When I found one in state (Finally) I jumped on it. It well exceeded my expectations

I bought 3 bikes without a test ride. Two of which were New Release Pre Orders.

I have however test rode many a bike and did not buy. I do take advantage of Demo Days often.

I'm also somewhat amazed that new MSF graduates are not targeted with test ride offers...my wife took the beginner MSF course several years ago...in a Kawi dealers parking lot IIRC (I wasn't allowed to be there)...and got absolutely no follow up from them or anyone else. Dumb.
If you had seen the skill level of the typical MSF graduate you'd understand exactly why dealers don't offer test rides. I tell my students, "don't expect a test ride when you buy a bike. Don't ever give a stranger a test ride on your bike. Or a friend for that matter."

When I took the course, one of the students lined up behind me in line for a braking test and then dumped his clutch. Next thing I knew, I was looking up from the ground at the concerned faces of the instructors. No harm done except for a scatched helmet, just a complete big suprise. One of the instructors winked at me while saying, "I have no doubt you'll pass!"

If you had seen the skill level of the typical MSF graduate you'd understand exactly why dealers don't offer test rides. I tell my students, "don't expect a test ride when you buy a bike. Don't ever give a stranger a test ride on your bike. Or a friend for that matter."

While I agree with you that the skill level of an MSF course graduate can be less than adequate for safe street riding, this is yet again another time-worn excuse for not offering test rides that is so, so easily solved.

If the prospective buyer is unknown to the dealer, have them demonstrate their skill level on their own bike by doing figure 8s in the parking lot. Or putting down a $1k deposit via credit card. Or something else...

I'm not advocating that any yahoo off the street gets to ride a Multistrada V4S, but there are ways to suss out someone's ability. If the prospective buyer is unwilling, they weren't serious anyway.

But your point about skill level is true...training/licensing here in the US is a joke.

Over here, most dealers have demo bikes available for popular models. If you want to ride something they havent got, you might be out of luck. A recent thing is a £10 insurance waiver. Probably worthwhile, otherwise you are on the hook for the first grand if a granny pulls out without looking and you have to lay her down.

Second hand bikes are actually less easy to demo. If they just spent al morning cleaning it for the showroom, they dont wwant it taken out in the rain. Having said that many years ago, my local Yammy dealer let me take out a VMax for a ride. I guess the smile on my face when I returned it told him it was sold.

Reactions: MVI
I just bought an 890 adventure and the dealer allowed test rides, but it took a week of pushing to get the pdi on the bike done. Tried going to another dealer but no test rides. Drove the salesman nuts because I wouldn't start any paperwork until I got on it. Ended up not getting my ride until almost 6 after sitting in the waiting room for almost an hour pushing them and kept them 2hours after closing finishing paperwork, but I wasn't about to drop that coin without hearing it run.

This conversation kinda plays into the played out question of whether to allow test rides when selling our own bikes.

I've bought at least one because the seller took me on an awesome loop and, 2 hours later, how could I possibly say no ?!

When I go to buy a used bike I Am gonna test ride it. The seller holds my $$ until I get back , I mess the bike up , he's covered.

I guess if I didn't like the bike he would give me my $$ back. So far I have always liked the bike. :wings

I haven't bought a new bike since 1980, and never plan on buying another new one.

Top Bottom Back Refresh