What's new

The All Things BETA Thread!

IMGP1457.jpeg
IMG_6362.jpeg
It's been a while for this thread.. The 21 200 is still my favorite trail bike ever.
And the '16 X is still the favorite of the boy's

I had to de-smog my '21 500 this week. It started stalling at random intervals. No back pressure in the tank, so I pulled & blocked the hose on the charcoal canister and it's been trouble-free since. This was a trail-side repair, so I still need to pull and block the hose to the intake properly and re-route the tank vent.
It's convenient that they put the canister in an accessible place and not under plastic like on my '16.

Pic just because.

PKpJC8sFXJwCyE?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

Not sure where to post this but since my Betas are the only OI bikes that I own, Here it is..
There is a thread on FB stating that Motul 710 has raised in Flashpoint from 190* to 308*
a. is this so?
b. how does this affect my bikes?
c. should I use a different oil now?

I will post a Link/ screenshot of the FB page when I can find it again

Dang it, I don't want to spend any more money on any new bikes!

But a couple days ago a friend let me ride a Beta XTrainer.

That thing is so much easier to ride than the CRF250RX or CRF450L that I usually ride out there.

So I guess I'll keep telling myself "You don't want a bike with a carburetor! You don't want to spend the money!".

No, I really, really liked that XTrainer.

Another buddy wants me to try his 390 Race Edition, telling me it could replace my CRF450L. Hmmm.

Dang it, I don't want to spend any more money on any new bikes!

But a couple days ago a friend let me ride a Beta XTrainer.

That thing is so much easier to ride than the CRF250RX or CRF450L that I usually ride out there.

So I guess I'll keep telling myself "You don't want a bike with a carburetor! You don't want to spend the money!".

No, I really, really liked that XTrainer.

Another buddy wants me to try his 390 Race Edition, telling me it could replace my CRF450L. Hmmm.

I got a quick ride on one last year... it was really nice! Especially that clutch.

Last weekend I got to ride another couple Betas: a 200 RR Race Edition and a 300 RR Race Edition. I also got another extensive ride on the XTrainer. I really liked the feel of the chassis of the two RRs. I thought the 300 might be a bit too much motor for me. The 200 was fun. What I’d like is the motor of the 300 but tuned more like the XTrainer. The XTrainer had my favorite engine; torque without feeling like it would loop out with a slight ham-fist. Someone told me that a mod to the power valve would give the 300 engine characteristics like the XTrainer that I could eventually tune back to full power if I wanted to. I haven’t tried, but would think the 250 would sort of split the difference. Can anyone confirm that?

Another question. The Betas handle like a dream. I haven’t tried any of the four strokes. How do they compare with the two-strokes as far as handling and rideability?

There's more to the equation than just CC's, which I'm sure you know. Port timing, bore:stroke ratio, compression,etc. So a 250 doesn't necessarily bring the gap between 200cc and 300cc. Naturally, a bigger engine is going to produce more energy (torque). Take a given engine and give it a larger bore to gain cc's and it will produce more torque, but it will have the same powerband characteristics. Take that same engine and give it more stroke to gain cc's and you'll make more torque and change the power band characteristics. If you can find specs on the engine dimensions it should give you a good indication if the 250 in question is a bored out 200 that still wants to rev, or if it's a smaller long stroke 300 style engine.

Speaking of 'all things Beta', I have a 2019 390 RR-S with a fuel-injection problem that has defied me and one very savvy mechanic who got a lot of help from American Beta to solve the problem. I set the bike up with the same kind of diligence as I have been setting up this bike (now 5 pages deep):

The bike is highly customized to me (many pages on ADVRider before I left that business in protest against their censorship practices). Replicating all the customization on a replacement bike would take months of work and lots of money, so I'd rather just stick with this wonderful machine and find the one little (but frigging irritating) proverbial 'fly in the ointment.'

The problem: Intermittent loss of idle from the the stepper motor suddenly getting a command to drops the air bypass pintle to the seat. This happens on many one throttle closure after hard acceleration in 20. I'm no tech lightweight, but it stumped me, so I took it to a Beta dealer (twice) to a very savvy tech. We go the bike to run incredibly awesome, but that first cause has eluded us. We have tried - we think - everything but replacing the ECU. And there is no throttle body wear.

The bike runs SO awesome, but it has this goofy fault that is like a dead fly in perfume! Powering off the ECU will immediately get rid of the fault, and sometimes continuing to ride will clear it. But when riding technical terrain the sudden hard engine braking is very disturbing.

So I'm asking for feedback. The usual may happen: that advice is given at a lower level of 'have you tried...', but that's OK. Maybe someone else has had the same thing happen and can provide insight. We've changed sensors from off another bike. Electrical connections and grounds are good short of some mystery thing. I do plan the ECU swap, eventually, but the 701 project has thoroughly consumed me since April.

Last edited:
Dang, maybe I shouldn't have ever tried that XTrainer. Now I'm getting one! Most likely.

Over the past few weeks, I've had plenty of opportunity to test ride the XTrainer, 200RR, 300RR, 390RR, and a Husqvarna TE300i. All the RRs I tried were race editions.

I really had lots of fun on the 200RR but am not convinced it would be a good fit for my fat carcass whenever I go to the mountains. The 390RR seemed too much like what I already have; its power delivery was nice and smooth, much like that on my CRF450L with the AIM ECU; it's just lighter than the 450L making it easier to ride in the woods. But it's no lighter than my CRF250RX, though it doesn't have the snatchy throttle of the 250RX. The 300RR had too much power for me, initially. We turned it to the rain map and it tuned it down similar to the power delivery of the XTrainer, which I absolutely love. I've heard that the standard 300RR is slightly less racy than the race model, with smoother power delivery. I haven't ridden one yet. So, today I'm going to either trade my CRF250RX for a XTrainer or a standard 300RR. The XTrainer is smaller, making it easier to mount and dismount, and I have arthritic knees and ain't getting any younger. I think the XTrainer is what I'll be bringing home tonight. We'll see in a few hours.

I got springs for my weight put in my XTrainer and got the chance to ride it at Draper Lake in Oklahoma and at Twin Buttes in San Angelo, TX. It’s super nice, now. First bike I’ve ever had actually set up for me. What a difference!! I also got to ride it back to back with some other bikes; my CRF450L, a Beta 390RE, a Husaberg FE390, and a CR250. Maybe it’s just the new bike thing, but the XTrainer was my favorite.

Top Bottom Back Refresh