What's new

The Art of the Ride Report

He's off to Europe for a bit before he does his scooter ride. Paul is good people, he spent a week at my house a few years ago. Go back and find some of his RR's, they're great.
Did you meet him while he was on one of his long trips?

Since this topic came up in a new ride report just posted in the RR section I thought I'd bring it up here. How long should posts be in a RR? There is no correct answer here, only opinions so here's mine. I like ride reports to be broken up into bite sized pieces. For me it is easier to post that way and it is also much more enjoyable to read. It will also get more people to read your RR.

Generally people who like to do really looooong posts in the RRs are those who write the RR elsewhere and want to just import the whole thing at one time. Since I generally compose directly on the forum I got into the habit of keeping the posts shorter. Back in the day, it was common to compose a long post and then something happened and the whole thing disappeared:baldy Now on ADVr and this forum the post will generally be saved so that is no longer an issue.

I look at post much like paragraphs. It allows for breaks between different parts of the RR. Otherwise it feels to me like a loooong run on paragraph with no breaks. I typically try for 5 pics per post but will vary that depending on where I feel a break should happen.

So why do I like the RR to be broken up into bite sized pieces? When I read a RR I will read a post and then give it a like if I think it warrants it. Besides giving feedback to the OP, it lets me know that I have read that post. If I want to respond to something specific it's easier with shorter posts especially if I want to quote something.

Although not an issue here.....yet, on a busy forum like ADVr a ride report will sink off the front page fairly quickly if there are no responses. If you post a one post RR and it doesn't get any responses it will sink off the first page before a lot of people notice it. If you just want to post your experiences and are not interested in feedback then an one post RR is just fine. I always preferred the RR format because it is interactive and not just reading a story.

In my ride reports many of the readers of the RR were on the ride or are friends. Discussion and feedback are a big part of the RR for me so that's one reason I keep the posts fairly short.

Since this topic came up in a new ride report just posted in the RR section I thought I'd bring it up here. How long should posts be in a RR? There is no correct answer here, only opinions so here's mine. I like ride reports to be broken up into bite sized pieces. For me it is easier to post that way and it is also much more enjoyable to read. It will also get more people to read your RR.

Generally people who like to do really looooong posts in the RRs are those who write the RR elsewhere and want to just import the whole thing at one time. Since I generally compose directly on the forum I got into the habit of keeping the posts shorter. Back in the day, it was common to compose a long post and then something happened and the whole thing disappeared:baldy Now on ADVr and this forum the post will generally be saved so that is no longer an issue.

I look at post much like paragraphs. It allows for breaks between different parts of the RR. Otherwise it feels to me like a loooong run on paragraph with no breaks. I typically try for 5 pics per post but will vary that depending on where I feel a break should happen.

So why do I like the RR to be broken up into bite sized pieces? When I read a RR I will read a post and then give it a like if I think it warrants it. Besides giving feedback to the OP, it lets me know that I have read that post. If I want to respond to something specific it's easier with shorter posts especially if I want to quote something.

Although not an issue here.....yet, on a busy forum like ADVr a ride report will sink off the front page fairly quickly if there are no responses. If you post a one post RR and it doesn't get any responses it will sink off the first page before a lot of people notice it. If you just want to post your experiences and are not interested in feedback then an one post RR is just fine. I always preferred the RR format because it is interactive and not just reading a story.

In my ride reports many of the readers of the RR were on the ride or are friends. Discussion and feedback are a big part of the RR for me so that's one reason I keep the posts fairly short.
I prefer doing one long post that covers the whole ride report. I typically write them after I am back home so when I have all the photos, and my thoughts organized. Its easier to write the report for me while I am focused. I do not write them in the forum. It is a lot easier for me to write and edit them in Word with the photo links inserted then just drop the whole report in a single post.

TLDNR, can you break that up into multiple posts for me? :hide :lol3

I totally agree, I like ride reports that have bite sized posts. On longer reports, it allows me to read for 10 min and then move on, kind of like reading a book, I can read a handful of pages and place a bookmark. If the entire ride is in one huge post, it make it had to read a bit and come back later. Just an opinion.

I just posted an RR this morning. I was not impressed it restricted me to 10 000 words and 20 pics per post. I ended up putting it up in 5 threads. I've since been told that if I was a paid member I would have less restrictions. That being the said the mod did nicely merge my posts together so it can be read as one. I'm asking the question to my local forum as well why it's restricted there to 10 000 words. On ADV there was no issue. Boom one post.

For a ride report it is best to always be in one thread.
Then you can add to it with more posts.
Additional comments, or add more pictures, or add a video &/or YT link to your vids

I just posted an RR this morning. I was not impressed it restricted me to 10 000 words and 20 pics per post. I ended up putting it up in 5 threads. I've since been told that if I was a paid member I would have less restrictions. That being the said the mod did nicely merge my posts together so it can be read as one. I'm asking the question to my local forum as well why it's restricted there to 10 000 words. On ADV there was no issue. Boom one post.
I'm missing something here:scratch

Why did you post 5 separate ride reports instead of one ride report broken up into 5 different posts?

Back
Top Bottom