What's new

The Beta Thread

200 is my favorite because most other manufacturers ignore that displacement.
Definitely 200. I was really lucky to make a friend who owned a 125, 200 and 300 displacements and over the course of a few years while I was waiting for my kids to graduate college got to try each displacement multiple times. The 300 scared me and I saw no use for the power. The 125 didn't work with my 200 pound weight and my skillset (I probably needed more time to learn to ride it on the pipe and using the clutch). The 200 is a goldilocks bike as far as I am concerned, just perfect.

I can't be the one to talk you out of it either. Cause I'm thinking the same thing as well.
The factory 200 should have a bit more pop than the standard 200.

For the extra $800 or whatever it is to get a factory instead of a regular version I cannot say it is money well spent. But I can say I am super happy I got my Factory 200. I just love looking at it for a stupid reason, the color scheme, the red head and red coolant hoses, the red airbox, and the nicer footpegs. None of these things make any performance difference and when you are buying a 200 I think you aren't looking for a more powerful engine anyway, for that you can simply buy a 250.

On the other hand you can follow the Beta Clubman Dream Build on Trials Tube and see that they basically threw a ton of stuff away and said "this is what a factory 200 should be". But without considering the cost which would put the bike in the same price range as a top of the line Vertigo.

For the extra $800 or whatever it is to get a factory instead of a regular version I cannot say it is money well spent. But I can say I am super happy I got my Factory 200. I just love looking at it for a stupid reason, the color scheme, the red head and red coolant hoses, the red airbox, and the nicer footpegs. None of these things make any performance difference and when you are buying a 200 I think you aren't looking for a more powerful engine anyway, for that you can simply buy a 250.

On the other hand you can follow the Beta Clubman Dream Build on Trials Tube and see that they basically threw a ton of stuff away and said "this is what a factory 200 should be". But without considering the cost which would put the bike in the same price range as a top of the line Vertigo.

TRS are the same way. The better models are just a want, the One R is more than enough bike for any of us. The nicer bikes sure are nice.

Factory 300 is my favorite displacement - cause it's in my garage!

I'm running a low comp head, so the power doesn't' seem crazy. It's quite a bit more mellow than my Gas Gas 300 Raga.

mow-ree 's 200 is much nicer to start though. And it did haul me through an entire competition. I did have to rev the engine a bit more than I do on my 300 to loft the front wheel- but I never felt it didn't have enough power.

Factory 300 is my favorite displacement - cause it's in my garage!

I'm running a low comp head, so the power doesn't' seem crazy. It's quite a bit more mellow than my Gas Gas 300 Raga.

mow-ree 's 200 is much nicer to start though. And it did haul me through an entire competition. I did have to rev the engine a bit more than I do on my 300 to loft the front wheel- but I never felt it didn't have enough power.
80 is enough for Expert, so we probably only need like 20 ccs for INT

edit, not sure the link works, but its the STRA public page, Ray Peters doing expert sections on a beetah 80.

80 is enough for Expert, so we probably only need like 20 ccs for INT

edit, not sure the link works, but its the STRA public page, Ray Peters doing expert sections on a beetah 80.

I think he did a National on a 80, in expert class. Expert national is like Pro at a regional event. I would love to see some video of that.

I think he did a National on a 80, in expert class. Expert national is like Pro at a regional event. I would love to see some video of that.

yes, we camped next to him at TTD last year and he told that story.

When my new 200 showed up, I think he was ready to lay into me for buying a 300 with my noob skills then saw it was a 200 and reaction was more....

1644332038823.png

that'll do .skipppy

yinzer why can't I post a gif???

200.gif

I don’t know much about the Jiff thing. There is a Gify search, let me look into posting one from your files.

How often do you all change your coolant? I had a problem last year in the very bitter cold and had moved from the stock coolant to Engine Ice as a result, to pretty good effect. I got some new stuff in and according to the manual you just drain from the bottom screw, release the air lock screw on the head and drain away. I found when changing the last time that this left a ton of the old coolant inside the engine. So I flushed it with a ton of distilled water, only to find out that diluted the Engine Ice quite a bit. The only way to get 100% Engine Ice was actually to do several drain/refill cycles, which seems like a waste of product.

Any thoughts? Maybe it is wholly unnecessary on a 2021 bike anyway! If so, I'll keep the EI on a shelf until I need it.
200.gif

Not a fan of the engine ice stuff. Quality, properly mixed coolant works very well.
Ok thanks for the info. It came recommended on my 2016 Evo, so I just bought some more. But the nice thing about Amazon is free returns via the Kohl's about 3 miles away. So back it goes. I'll seek out an ethylene glycol alternative, though to be honest I was having second thoughts anyway since it is only about a year old.

I think my main problem with it is that it does not boil over. Installing Evans is like installing a fuse that is too big for a circuit. If the bike is boiling over, it is an indication that something needs attention, it is a great indication too, you get visual steam, you get the sweet coolant smell, and sometimes you can hear it boiling in the radiator.
There are heat transfer issues too. Part of the goal is a fluid that will suck up as much heat as possible and expel it through the radiator fins.
Rick will be by shortly to post counter points.

Top Bottom Back Refresh