What's new

The Death of Motorcycle Forums

Would it lose a lot of motorcycle content?
No but I don't think motorcycle content outweighs the non motorcycle content. And there's quite a bit of "junk" in the motorcycle part of the forum.

Here's another thing to consider. Social media like facebook was designed to keep you in touch with friends. The idea was that you actually knew those people you interacted with. In many cases social media has gone beyond that these days. Some people have thousands or millions of followers on platforms like twitter. However many Facebook groups are actually set up to promote actual face to face interaction for people with common interests. I am on a few motorcycle groups on facebook and they do exactly that.

Forums on the other hand are often global and even with a thousand or more members they often have no interaction other than online. ADVr is an exception to this because it is so large. Sure there are many on the forum who have never met any other members but I have probably met around a thousand other inmates. I go to dozens of events and rides every year that are organized on ADVr. I met most of my riding friends there.

This forum hasn't grown enough for that to be common. I do know a few people on this forum but I met all but one of them in ADVr.

All those people that I met who are on ADVr.....I didn't meet any of them through the basement.

Simply don't go into CSM, why is this so hard to comprehend for people who don't like it? Are there people that have no executive brain functions that can override the impulse to go into CSM? If so, what is your day like without impulse control? Do you run a red light because you got to get home for your favourite TV program, do you sit down on a curb and masturbate because you feel the need?

Here are a few tips.

Another thing to consider is content ownership. Some forum owners started to think of the content of the forums as their property. To do with and monetize as they liked, without rewarding the people who created the content on that platform. That caused many to delete their content and leave forums.

Then we have forums that are "taken over" by few individuals. Who with multiple posts drive away new members and those who don't agree with their narrow mindset. This raises questions of moderators, their power and effect on the forum, either by what they do, or what they don't do.

Last edited:
I started lurking around ADVr '06-'07 looking for info for a 1100gs. I didn't join till a couple yrs ago. I always go to the G-spot or flea market,I didn't even know there was a basement ( yeah, I'm slow ). After I joined , I reached out to some folks I had been watching for yrs that are sharp , to name a few , JVB , Jim Moore , GS Addict, PaulBarton, lweisjr1, these guys have given me a ton of info.

I came here looking for JVB

I have been to more "places" here , I guess because it isn't so big ,yet.

I think I am the only guy on this forum ridding a 1100gs

I don't know what's gonna happen to "motorcycle forums". I figure folks with the same type bikes/ riding style are always gonna interact. The young people will probably just do it differently.

Simply don't go into CSM, why is this so hard to comprehend for people who don't like it? Are there people that have no executive brain functions that can override the impulse to go into CSM? If so, what is your day like without impulse control? Do you run a red light because you got to get home for your favourite TV program, do you sit down on a curb and masturbate because you feel the need?

Here are a few tips.

Spoken like a true, holier than thou, CSM'er...

I think that you are missing the point. How does allowing people to display the very ugliest of ugly behaviors in CSM encourage and promote people to contribute to the other parts of the community?

The most common answer I get is that they hate FB but it is just easier to use
Very true and I point a majority of the decline at social media 'apps'. Keyword there being apps. Not only are they super simple and easy to use, they monitor your interested and continue to put content you approve of in your face so you approve.

Photobucket should rot in hell for the stupid move they pulled.
Fact. Forum owners are a bit to blame by allowing it to happen. If you're displaying it on your forum, the content should sit with it.

I dont see any replacement for a forum experience. FB and other social media is useless for any type of in depth discussion.
True, forums are for learning and sharing.

I never considered that so many people switching from computers to phones as a major reason for the decline in forums.
See app post above. If the forums would have came out with an app powered by the forum content so many more would stay alive. Apple is FINALLY allowing push notifications in early 2023, this means this forum can fully sit as an app on everybody's phone ... getting alerts and everything.

If motorcycle forums are dying, what will happen to this one?
About a moth ago I spoke to an attorney about this, how to keep something like this under a board or something so it's always owned/ran/guided by members. I started a new job and have been busy trying to wrap up my own business while onboarding at the new place. I'll have time to get back on this soon ... and shirts, stickers, etc etc

How does allowing people to display the very ugliest of ugly behaviors in CSM encourage and promote people to contribute to the other parts of the community?
For me, the freedom of speech, is an attractive thing. So it vertically keeps people around because they can talk about their hobby while virtue signaling with people that like the same hobby. You need to follow that freedom with unbiased moderation though. Thats what we are aiming for here .. so a CSM ugliness could form here .... and it would be ok.. so long as it stays in there because it's not what the forum is for.

I'm always open to ideas to help the place grow. If anybody can figure out how to start turning on the younger generations that'd be epic

I think that you are missing the point. How does allowing people to display the very ugliest of ugly behaviors in CSM encourage and promote people to contribute to the other parts of the community?
It keeps them from contaminating the parts of the forum that actually have something to do with motorcycles.

Are you familiar with John Wheeler's delayed choice experiment? He suggests reality doesn't exist or less you look at it, and measurements mean everything… I mean, Jeez. If people are debating our reality, how easy is it to ignore a part of a web forum?

Very true and I point a majority of the decline at social media 'apps'. Keyword there being apps. Not only are they super simple and easy to use, they monitor your interested and continue to put content you approve of in your face so you approve.

Fact. Forum owners are a bit to blame by allowing it to happen. If you're displaying it on your forum, the content should sit with it.

True, forums are for learning and sharing.

See app post above. If the forums would have came out with an app powered by the forum content so many more would stay alive. Apple is FINALLY allowing push notifications in early 2023, this means this forum can fully sit as an app on everybody's phone ... getting alerts and everything.

About a moth ago I spoke to an attorney about this, how to keep something like this under a board or something so it's always owned/ran/guided by members. I started a new job and have been busy trying to wrap up my own business while onboarding at the new place. I'll have time to get back on this soon ... and shirts, stickers, etc etc

For me, the freedom of speech, is an attractive thing. So it vertically keeps people around because they can talk about their hobby while virtue signaling with people that like the same hobby. You need to follow that freedom with unbiased moderation though. Thats what we are aiming for here .. so a CSM ugliness could form here .... and it would be ok.. so long as it stays in there because it's not what the forum is for.

I'm always open to ideas to help the place grow. If anybody can figure out how to start turning on the younger generations that'd be epic
Wait until he discovers there are areas in this forum called the Storm Cellar, and Controversial Ideologies, and his world is thrown into upheaval for no reason whatsoever. For some people the idea of something existing is a reason to get worked up I guess?

Schrödinger's cat is in CSM? Cool!

200.gif
LOL, it's not complicated, don't allow CSM to be a part of your reality.

wow-me-vuela-la-cabella.gif

I get that, and believe me, I put some effort into not Livin' the CSM Lyfe. I agree that avoiding a place that's clearly labeled Thar Be Arseholes Ahead! isn't that difficult. For example, I don't spend a lot of time on 4chan.

We're talking about two different things, though. Get enough people together and some of them are going to be assholes, no matter what. I think we all agree on that point. If you don't want to be around people that might be assholes, don't frequent places that allow people to act like one. I believe that's your point, and I agree.

The other side of that is whether there's value in providing a place that allows people to act as assholes. As I said, I think the pros & cons are fairly equal on the question. Austin has set the tone for how this forum will be moderated, and I think it's a good balance.
Fair enough, but 4Chan, yikes. That's too wild a woolly for me. Surly middle-aged men in CSM is one thing, but 4Chan is something all together. I just wouldn't go there, nor do I give it any thought, but freedom of self-expression. It's there because someone wants it there, obviously, and to each their own. I've read that some crazy conspiracies come out of there, but crazy conspiracies are going to come from somewhere, because they always have. Some people need to learn to be more cynical, and think more critically, but there's always been tinfoil hat wearing nutbars.

Top Bottom Back Refresh