What's new

The Honda XL thread

Gronk

Foofoo rider extraordinaire!
ADV+
Member Number
Recently picked up this 1983 XL250R survivor and I'm having fun with it.

287969454_1078025082795063_3963385634917309408_n.jpg

287950420_490477162834944_3651178216644127692_n.jpg

Let's see your OG Elles. :thumb

Sean :ricky

My first motorcycle.

14536989_1756266691293559_1050140635_o.jpg

nnnnn.png

What got me started in this whole thing. Since sold the bike, but it was the perfect bike to start with.
My first street-legal bike was a Yamaha XT350. I had so much fun back in my late teens and early 20s on that bike. It took me everywhere.
Fast forward 35 years and I have had a handful of KTMs (still have a few 525s) and even a 2021 Beta 500RR-S. Sometimes those bikes are just too much for exploring and trail-mapping.
These old XLs are great bikes to get back to when you want to slow things down and check out the scenery. :evil

Sean :ricky

Friend stated: I just rebuilt the motor but I can’t seem to get it going. I’m at a loss. Can you see what’s wrong?

I replied: Let me take a look at it.

After inspection: Houston we may have PROBLEMS! The engines on the titanic are closer to operational. The engine is thrashed and the rest of the bike is no better.
04220F6F-ED57-48BE-A00C-8E3180B1CE3B.jpeg
F9018246-2191-42F2-B188-16DE29CA1D32.jpeg
4CD89A2A-89D7-46DF-A782-982D5D3F2A12.jpeg
5CEFAEC1-FA35-4A9F-8046-5833D1889D95.jpeg

I need some advice form you XL folks. I'm looking at a 1980 XL500, ad says, it runs , has a tittle , video of it being ridden. Asking $1150

I have a few questions , Is $1150 a fair price ,are parts readily available for it, ( I don't want to restore it, I want to ride it)

Will you guys be willing to give me advice on how to work on it?

I have owned and maintained old BMW's for the last 25 yrs. I'm a retired diesel mechanic, I have a farm and work on haying equipment. tractors ect. I know how to use tools.

Thanks All

Other than the goofy 23 inch front and kick only, not a bad bike. They can sometimes be a bear to start, got to learn the right sequence
of throttle/TDC/phase of the moon......

Price seems a little high, but if its a smooth runner and stirs your loins, then it's only money right?

:-)

Hard to say. Depends on condition, clear title, any extras like filters or such, if it has a service manual ETC ETC
In Florida, based only on what you've posted, I'd start at $750

Heck, test ride it. It may not "fit" ergonomics on older Dual Sports was kinda cramped

You seem to have walking around sense, you'll know if its right

I had a basket case 600 for a while. Wore a hole in my boot trying to start it. moved on to a DR350 with electric start

I need some advice form you XL folks. I'm looking at a 1980 XL500, ad says, it runs , has a tittle , video of it being ridden. Asking $1150

I have a few questions , Is $1150 a fair price ,are parts readily available for it, ( I don't want to restore it, I want to ride it)

Will you guys be willing to give me advice on how to work on it?

I have owned and maintained old BMW's for the last 25 yrs. I'm a retired diesel mechanic, I have a farm and work on haying equipment. tractors ect. I know how to use tools.

Thanks All

Poke around on ebay, amazon, and places that sell OEM parts such as Rocky Mountain MC/ATV. You'll get a quick education on what's still available for the old Honda parts. You could easily spend another $1000 for the basic consumable parts to give you peace of mind in the reliability area. It really depends on the condition of the bike. If it has toasted rocker arms, cam, valve issues that can turn into a can of worms in short order. The bottomless money pit begins!

These old bikes are cool if you can pick them up cheap but be prepared for the hidden surprises. You could end up with an expensive piece of yard art! IMHO, if you want to ride, I'd look for something newer like a XR650L. Honda still makes them after 30 years of production and parts are readily available. If you like to tinker and not ride so much then it's a different story. That old XL is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Knowing what I learned with my old XL600 is that I felt good paying $400 for a box full of parts and a rolling chassis. I'm glad I didn't pay more because I basically broke even when I finally sold it. It was a fun project, rode it for a season, then quickly realized there's a small market for people who are shopping for those old kickers!

Good luck!:lol3:beer

Thanks, I'm wanting to ride it, don't mind working on a little but I don't want to rebuild it.

I totally understand "cheap" bikes. I bought a $1000 , '98 1100gs for a parts bike, clutch was out, 60ish k miles.

Way to nice a bike for a Parts Bike: clutch $500, 1200 injectors $200 , Trac-Tive shocks $2000.

So I ended up with $3800 in a "98 1100gs That I MIGHT could sell for a break even!

But it IS a good ole bike:D

Thanks, I'm wanting to ride it, don't mind working on a little but I don't want to rebuild it.

I totally understand "cheap" bikes. I bought a $1000 , '98 1100gs for a parts bike, clutch was out, 60ish k miles.

Way to nice a bike for a Parts Bike: clutch $500, 1200 injectors $200 , Trac-Tive shocks $2000.

So I ended up with $3800 in a "98 1100gs That I MIGHT could sell for a break even!

But it IS a good ole bike:D

The BMW sounds like it was fun and turned out nice. I didn't mean to be a downer but had to share the lessons learned with my old XL600R. If I'd gone the XR650L route it would still be sitting in the garage. It's funny how bike models can be so similar in linage yet have incompatible engine parts. The fun part was the satisfaction of bringing back an old XL from the scrap heap. It would start in one or two kicks after carb(s) rebuild and getting the jetting dialed in. The education from that project was priceless though. Next time I'm going newer!:lol3

I think I'm going to use your experience and go newer.

My problem is that I'm fiscally conservative, ( some people say cheap):D and can't make myself pay the prices they are asking for 20 yr old, low cc dual sport/ trail type motorcycles.

That's not being cheap, that's being smart with money. Cheap is "fixing" things with duct tape and bailing wire. Here in the PNW the price of dual sport bikes is through the roof. I wasn't paying $4k for a clapped out 20 year old DRZ!

Good luck in your search

This is why I own too many bikes. Last bike I sold in 2017 was a cm200 for $450. That bike took the next owner down the I80 highway from Indiana to Pennsylvania multiple times. I dont have the patience to sell..only to buy. I might part all the bikes out and not give a dam. I get burned at the dealer and I get burned as the seller. But it is cheaper than other "fun stuff". I bought two 2022 models and I am done... I would rather bury the whole mess in the ground or scrap it for metal than play games. Anyone want a low vin rxv550...ha didn't think so. I have the 1st ten vin ct70 clone through piranha. R100, 1640 revtech bobber, last year shovel tour bike..oh the list is nutz..and I love my simple colemans. That is market reality. I will die with my mess. See my 1st bike was a gs750l bought for $550 and sold for $550. I cant burn a fellow rider! That is someone you should buy from...and never call back unless they are a friend. Pay or dont play..

I can buy a 1150gs for about the same price as a 20 yr old 300 to 650cc dual sport. I have a couple ole 1100gs's that are good bikes. Just getting hard to pick em up when I drop em. Was wanting to buy something lighter for the double and single track. I'll be 65 next month and sometimes I feel like it.... not often tho:D

Pretty much all the cycle parts and engine casings on the XL500S are interchangeable with the 250 so it makes finding parts a bit easier.
Here is my 1981 XL250S which I have owned since 1983,it has an XL500 swing arm and rear wheel (larger drum brake).
Parts used to be cheap and plentiful here in the UK but not so much now.
The swing arm is from a Euro spec 500,box section and needle rollers instead of plastic bushes,front mudguard is low Euro spec also, UK models got the motocross stye high one.
IMG-0173.jpg

Back
Top Bottom