What's new

The Kansas Thread

87warrior

Hidey Ho
Member Number
Not the band. Carry on, wayward son.

If you are in Kansas post up!

I am in the Junction City area on a wr250r.
PXL_20210710_193918737.jpg

I’m in Wichita until the humidity tells me not to be. Recent transplant from the Black Hills here. What a nice easy winter. I’m struggling to want to ride my WR250 here due to crazy people instead of brutal weather. Perhaps a photo tag game might help me get out a little more.
How far is Junction City?
I’ve heard the only trail system is up closer to KC somewhere.
Any info on good KS riding would be appreciated.

JC is only a couple of hours from Wichita. I didn't really enjoy riding in Wichita the last time I was down there. The cages are crazy down there.

Are you a Facebook user? There are a few groups that have some tracks put together. My favorite is "ride_FHAT" (Flint hills adventure trail) and the "KAT" (Kansas Adventure trail). There is a ton of nice riding in the Flint Hills, everything from Manhattan south to Emporia and then down to the OK border. I also manage the "Konza Overland" Facebook page which is primarily geared towards 4wd travels across Kansas but has the same spirit as ADV riding.

If you want to ride technical trails, the School Creek OHV park at Milford Lake can be fun.

Last edited:
I’m glad I met you here. Stay in touch and look me up if you need anything down this way. I’m also building a poor man’s wedge camper on the back of my new little Nissan Frontier.

Jeeps MC club in Wichita has some “trails”.

Most people from up that way head east towards MO or south into Oklahoma to trail ride/race.

The Florence Grand Prix is making a return this year. It’ll be a race through town and the surrounding land. Dualsport/adv/vintage classes as well as modern classes.
More info,

CDB3D6EF-2EBF-4F9A-A75A-19D36754DCA8.jpeg

Is there any enduro activity in Kansas? I have only viewed Kansas from I 70 on the way to Colorado. Despite the reputation of flatness i see a lot of varied terrain I would like to ride my dirt bike on. Not asking for riding spots, just curious if anyone actually does full blown off road riding. It looks like it could exist.

Is there any enduro activity in Kansas? I have only viewed Kansas from I 70 on the way to Colorado. Despite the reputation of flatness i see a lot of varied terrain I would like to ride my dirt bike on. Not asking for riding spots, just curious if anyone actually does full blown off road riding. It looks like it could exist.
Absolutely... kind of.

There is little public land in Kansas, so any roads you take will be county roads. If you link together crooked minimum maintenance roads and ride through the hills, Kansas might surprise you. But don't tell anyone, those of us who live here like the empty roads in our flyover state.

1644806461256.png

1644806662982.png

Last edited:
Is there any enduro activity in Kansas?
Not really, maybe farther west were 87 posted up. There are a coupe small riding areas around KC. Some small private areas, but mostly if your off-road, you're on private property and they won't be happy about it. The closest real riding for me is 9 hours west.

There's a group on FB🤮, That I remember when I was on there, called the FHAT or the Flint hills adventure tour. A fella called Jim put a lot of time and effort into building a big loop that looked pretty interesting. Also I know there are a few hare scrambles in the state as well. I believe M.O.R.E. is the name of the sanctioning body. A good friend a mines son races and had been to Kansas a few times as it's on the schedule.

There's a group on FB🤮, That I remember when I was on there, called the FHAT or the Flint hills adventure tour. A fella called Jim put a lot of time and effort into building a big loop that looked pretty interesting. Also I know there are a few hare scrambles in the state as well. I believe M.O.R.E. is the name of the sanctioning body. A good friend a mines son races and had been to Kansas a few times as it's on the schedule.
Jim was the founder of the popular Dirty Kanza bicycle race. When he was kicked off the board of the race by the new "Life Time" corporate owner, he went out and developed the FHAT on his KTM. I've ridden and driven most of the track, but never all at once. The track is about a 900? mile loop from NE to OK through the Flint Hills and is a ton of fun.

1644856498739.png

I did have some KS advR members take me on some mighty fine sugar sand tracks west of Wichita about a dozen years ago. We went for ice cream to the small town of Zenda.
I enjoy the challenge of sand and have fond memories of that day. They were all public roads, but had the feel of moderate double track.

I wish I could remember their names.

Thanks for all the information shared here so far.

Forward Motion Hare Scrambles Championship is the hare scrambles racing series in Kansas. Most of the races are within an hour or so of KC.

FMHSC Website;

I've been wanting to hit up the PeckerHead Run but haven't made time for it. Its an annual poker run on July 4th from Garden City to Dodge City in the Arkansas River. (approx 50 miles of sandy, dry riverbed)

Facebook link for event information;

1645018748689.png

Thanks for clearing that up on the hare scrambles, I know of two different groups, M.O.R.E, AND FMHSC. But couldn't remember which one his boy raced in.

We got out!
Deep Barney bought me a great hamburger but we were in cages.
He’s the only one of you I’ve met in Kansas so I can still say I’ve only ever met nothing but awesome ADV’ers

I think I’m going to try and sell or trade my plated YZ450. It’s not really a great machine for my new urban lifestyle.

Not with that attitude it isn't. Get some supermoto wheels and be a hooligan.
If I don’t get a lock of some sort, it will be about as tangible as my attitude.
I ride it but don’t feel like I can park it anywhere without it disappearing.

Top Bottom Back Refresh