What's new

The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Honestly I wish I had bought a 990 instead of a 690, for the same money. Yes my 690 is rad, but offroad it really isn't much better than a 990, (they are both giant dirt bikes), and on the road it's much worse. Sexy and arousing yes, but rideability for me, just isn't there.
The 690 is like 10 times lighter than the 990, just sayin'... :lol3

350 vs 460 lbs... But I'm tall and over 100kgs alone so, maybe I just don't feel the difference as much on the bike.
Also, my 690 is a bit heavy.... :wink:

It takes a while to notice the difference, but a day of lifting and wrestling the bike is usually enough.
Put your bike on a diet, ktm keeps making them porkier by each passing year, it seems.

I had a 2006 950 Adventure and put 20,000+ miles on it. Then bought a 2010 690. I put 30,000 miles on it then purchased a 2020 690 that now has 8,000 miles on it. The 950 was an awesome road bike that was dirt worthy. The 690 is an awesome dirt bike that is road worthy. Both were great bikes but for my preferred riding style, the 690 is hands down the best bike out there!
IMG_1744.jpeg
IMG_0947.JPG

Last edited:
I meant to post this a while back! This is the basic tool kit I carry. On longer rides I'll also carry a 10" tire iron in my front fender bag along with the axel wrench and a 24" tire iron in my Giant Loop.
The 2 3-way bicycle tools reside in my tank bag along with the 10mm end wrench. They get used frequently for tightening and adjusting stuff.
IMG_3092.JPG

Trying to set up my 690 with a Rade Garage gas tank and front tower. The tank install is not going as easy as I had thought it would. The front tank bracket is not playing well with the tank they sent me. Metal to brass contact is never a good combo especially when dealing with Gas and a hot motor sitting below it waiting to go all Ghost Rider!!

I've been trying for a few days to get a e-mail response back from anyone at RG. I may have to get InTouch with 690Kit peeps if this goes on much longer.

Attachments

• tankbracket.jpg
    tankbracket.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 8
I thought about adding the Rade auxiliary tank but opted to just carry fuel in either a 1 gallon Rotopax mounted on the rear rack or we also have fuel bladders that hold 1.8 gallons. Both options have worked well since we normally travel light, neither one takes up too much space and both are relatively easy to mount.
IMG_1753(1).jpeg
IMG_3289.JPG

I am seriously thinking about getting a 2023 690. I already have a 2018 1090R, a 2018 500exc and a 21 Beta 300 so I'm splitting hairs. My friends and I ride the big bikes pretty hard off road, all 4 of us have bent the front wheels on 2 990s, a 790 and my 1090 so we are probably in the small % of riders that do stupid stuff in big bikes. I'm thinking the 690 would be a lot easier to manage than the 1090 in the Oregon back country when the going gets hard. I won't be selling anything so this would be an addition.
What is the fuel range on the 690? I have a 1 gallon Giant Loop fuel bag to strap on.
Some of our rides require 170 mile fuel range because there is no where to get gas.
127242.jpeg

I am seriously thinking about getting a 2023 690. I already have a 2018 1090R, a 2018 500exc and a 21 Beta 300 so I'm splitting hairs. My friends and I ride the big bikes pretty hard off road, all 4 of us have bent the front wheels on 2 990s, a 790 and my 1090 so we are probably in the small % of riders that do stupid stuff in big bikes. I'm thinking the 690 would be a lot easier to manage than the 1090 in the Oregon back country when the going gets hard. I won't be selling anything so this would be an addition.
What is the fuel range on the 690? I have a 1 gallon Giant Loop fuel bag to strap on.
Some of our rides require 170 mile fuel range because there is no where to get gas.
127242.jpeg

Downsizing to a 690 for tougher rides? You pussy :lol3
170 miles with just an extra gallon is cutting it close imo, so either bring a hose or look into additional fuel storage if safety is your thing.
I'm biased towards the underseat tank as it doesn't make the bike bigger.

Wow, you guys must twist up a lot harder than I do! On our last vacation on our 2020's, 1500 miles, we averaged right around 60 mpg. With the rotopax that gave us over a 250 mile range. With our 2010's we used to average well over 50 mpg.
What kind of mpg are you all getting??
IMG_1529.JPEG

Wow, you guys must twist up a lot harder than I do! On our last vacation on our 2020's, 1500 miles, we averaged right around 60 mpg. With the rotopax that gave us over a 250 mile range. With our 2010's we used to average well over 50 mpg.
What kind of mpg are you all getting??
IMG_1529.JPEG
I blame it on all the eco-stuff they put in the fuel these days...

The low fuel light usually comes on at about 160km during regular rides, if I stop to fill up shortly thereafter the pump display says about 9.5 liter.
That gives roughly 17km to the liter, I tried thinking in mpg but your imperial units give me a headache :-)

My bike doesn't run super-lean, and the numbers above can get a little worse/better depending on riding conditions, but 160km seems to be the magic number.

Last edited:
That's ~40 miles per gallon! I don't think I've ever gotten that poor of mileage. Not even fully loaded and riding hard. I normally do run super at around 92 octane, when I can get it. I have an Arrow slip on with all of the emission crap removed (on both of our 690's). My wife always gets a couple miles more per gallon than I get but she's 40 pounds lighter and doesn't twist near as much as I do. After we remapped out 2010's we got a lot better mileage and didn't have the flame out issue we both experienced with the stock map. Our average was around 52 miles per gallon (22.1 KPL) on those.
IMG_1680(2).jpeg

Our 2020's have stock gearing. I don't want to gear up since we stay away from pavement as much as possible riding more technical 2 track and some single track but we ride enough fire road and back country pavement to not gear down. With our 2010's we had 14,15 and 16 tooth countershaft sprockets and 45 and 46 tooth rear sprockets mounted on separate sprocket carriers. We did a lot of experimenting, changing back and forth on both since we each also had a set of supermoto wheels. We tried all sorts of variations and mixes on both sets of wheels. With a 16 tooth countershaft and a 45 tooth rear sprocket with the sm set, I could easily cruise on pavement at 70+ mph then drop a gear or 2 to pass and accelerate rapidly! Geared 16 /45 I could ride with my buddies on their sport bikes and easily keep up (below 110 mph anyway) and even pull away on the tighter twisty roads since the 690 is much lighter and more flickable. Now, I'm getting older and starting to ride a little slower and more cautiously, especially on pavement. There's lots of idiots in cages on the pavement!
The 2020 has a 3.6 gallon (13.6 l) tank vs a 3.2 (12.1 l) on the 2010. Low fuel light on both seem to come on with with ~.6 gallons (2.3 l) left in the tank.

IMG_1827.JPG

Back
Top Bottom