What's new

The KTM 690 Enduro Thread

Yes

IMG_4892-X2.jpg

690.jpg

Still can't decide if I love it or hate it....now the rear shock needs to be rebuilt but man is that throttle fun to twist. 2008 with Rally Raid tanks, crappy steering lock, but so much more planted and responsive than my old XRL.

After putting almost 30,000, mostly trouble free, miles on our 2010 690's my wife and I updated to 2020's toward the end of 2020. I love this platform. Great do it all bike! We had her bike lowered ~2" since she is 5'6".
IMG_6909.jpeg

You're lucky to have a wife who rides with you for sure! What fairing setup do you have on those '20s?

I like the temp gauge on the dash.
So what do you all carry in your normal tool kit? Anything KTM specific you'd recommend?
I haven't had to do any roadside repairs since I've had mine (knock on wood) but I realized today I don't have a 14mm deep socket for the spark plug in my tool roll. I've got a Motion Pro metric kit which covers a lot of stuff and I also have an Enduro star trail stand, vise grips, 3 tire levers with 32mm/27mm, 10/13mm, and 24mm wrench ends, 8,10,12,13 combination wrenches, 19mm, 13mm, and 7mm sockets. Assorted Torx bits, and a 4mm Allen wrench. Not as heavy as I thought, about 4.4 pounds. Oh and do you carry two 27mm wrenches for the front axle? I found myself needing two last time I put the front wheel back on in the garage.

20220221_195644.jpg

I like the temp gauge on the dash.
So what do you all carry in your normal tool kit? Anything KTM specific you'd recommend?
I haven't had to do any roadside repairs since I've had mine (knock on wood) but I realized today I don't have a 14mm deep socket for the spark plug in my tool roll. I've got a Motion Pro metric kit which covers a lot of stuff and I also have an Enduro star trail stand, vise grips, 3 tire levers with 32mm/27mm, 10/13mm, and 24mm wrench ends, 8,10,12,13 combination wrenches, 19mm, 13mm, and 7mm sockets. Assorted Torx bits, and a 4mm Allen wrench. Not as heavy as I thought, about 4.4 pounds. Oh and do you carry two 27mm wrenches for the front axle? I found myself needing two last time I put the front wheel back on in the garage.

20220221_195644.jpg
If you need two 27mm wrenches you're doing it wrong.

Edit: also, I'd ditch one of those tire levers, maybe replace it with a small bead buddy to help keep the tire in place.

What I carry for tools depends on where and how long (far) I'm riding. I try to do very good maintenance on all of our bikes so as not to have issues when on a ride! For the most part I carry a slightly enhanced version of the stock tool kit. I've thrown in a couple of extra end wrenches, a few extra sockets and channel locks. I keep a 10mm end wrench and a screw driver in my tank bag. I do always carry an extra front tube with 2 small tire irons in my front fender bag, CO2 air cartridge and 1 large tire iron in my Giant Loop. I have a small hand air pump I take some times. I only keep tires on that are at least 50% tread and always start longer, multi day trips with new rubber. That is kind of costly up front but in the long run It's cheaper, easier and a lot less work. I've only had to repair a couple of flats on the trail in 50,000+ miles of road trips. When we ride we try to go as light as possible at all times.
And I agree, if you need 2 wrenches for either axle you're doing something wrong! If your pinch bolts are tight on the non hut side you don't need a second wrench. Next time I'm working on the bikes, I'll take of photo of my tool kit and post it.

And I agree, if you need 2 wrenches for either axle you're doing something wrong! If your pinch bolts are tight on the non hut side you don't need a second wrench. Next time I'm working on the bikes, I'll take of photo of my tool kit and post it.
That's kinda what I thought, I'll look at it again.

Getting ready to do the 6k mile service on my 2017 690... Yes, I know, super low miles, but I picked it up off my old man last year at ~1k mi.

Ordered short and long filters, twin air air filter, crush washer, spark plugs, and shim kit. Have a 4L jug of KTM wunderoil with 3L left, so figured I didn't need more.

Anything else I need to think about as I burn down the last 600 mi to the service interval?

Will the dash throw a message unless I connect to the diagnostic port?

Been using a lot of oil for a new (not even 6k miles) bike.

Seemed a bit nasty around the front sprocket. Pulled the front sproket cover off and, guess what, it's not anywhere near the 59 ft-lbs called for in the repair manual. Nope, she was finger-loose.

Excellent quality control there KTM...

Internet says torque on the front sprocket nut for these bikes is what keeps the oil in.

Cleaned everything up, applied loctite and torqued it down per the repair manual, and put everything back together.

Upside: no more oil leaking.

Downside: no automatic chain lubrication
1f923.png
. The Motorex wünderoil KTM calls for is a bit pricey for chain lube though.
Edit: Gonna try to get the video uploader on the site to work instead of the facebook link... it is below, but I don't think it's showing properly.

Edit Part 2: Seems like the site-embedded video upload is being wonky still. Here it is in YouTube for those of you without facespace

Last edited:
Seems as though this thread needs a refresher. Back story is I've ridden and enjoyed a DR650 for the last 10 years and I'm starting to feel the pull of a newer bike. Bought a VStrom back in April to test the ADV waters, mainly because it was well set up and reasonably priced. Sold it recently as it just didn't live up to what I was looking for. So now, a 690 or possibly a 701 has my interest. I realize they are quite a bit more modern, more complicated, and more expensive. Seems as though some years were more problematic than others, some gave owners lots of grief, some were the most reliable bike they ever owned.

So I'm here looking for guidance, years to buy, things to look for specific to the model.

Seems as though this thread needs a refresher. Back story is I've ridden and enjoyed a DR650 for the last 10 years and I'm starting to feel the pull of a newer bike. Bought a VStrom back in April to test the ADV waters, mainly because it was well set up and reasonably priced. Sold it recently as it just didn't live up to what I was looking for. So now, a 690 or possibly a 701 has my interest. I realize they are quite a bit more modern, more complicated, and more expensive. Seems as though some years were more problematic than others, some gave owners lots of grief, some were the most reliable bike they ever owned.

So I'm here looking for guidance, years to buy, things to look for specific to the model.
Honestly I wish I had bought a 990 instead of a 690, for the same money. Yes my 690 is rad, but offroad it really isn't much better than a 990, (they are both giant dirt bikes), and on the road it's much worse. Sexy and arousing yes, but rideability for me, just isn't there.

Back
Top Bottom