What's new

The Lathe thread.

Doesn't ring a bell? I've never owned anything that takes BS#7 collets? You must be thinking of somebody else. My Bridgeport came out of a garage in Bethesda. :-)

Ah- must be someone else... the guy happened to work at Dept of Energy in Germantown with my wife- whoever the guy was bought (I think) a B&S horizontal mill or maybe it was tooling some weeks before I bought the old American lathe. Somehow we met up on PracticalMachinist, so when I got the lathe I brought back the collets and my wife handed them off..

Ah- must be someone else... the guy happened to work at Dept of Energy in Germantown with my wife- whoever the guy was bought (I think) a B&S horizontal mill or maybe it was tooling some weeks before I bought the old American lathe. Somehow we met up on PracticalMachinist, so when I got the lathe I brought back the collets and my wife handed them off..
Yea, never worked @ DOE/Germantown.

I used to own this 1945 Monarch 10EE. Bought as a project. But kinda realized I was in way over my head w/ the electronics. An elec engr friend helped me get it running. But w/ the wear and electricals, it just wasn't a good fit for me and I sold it about 10 years back.
We have its sister pushed off into a corner of the shop, quick change gearbox is locked into one feed rate and haven't found the time to repair it in 2 years now. They still fetch good money so I should probably put it up for sale since it just keeps attracting dust.

IMG_2339.jpeg

My 1957 Myford ML7 and Staines (60s/70s?) milling attachment still going strong. If I had the space, I'd love a standalone milling machine but this setup does everything I need - slowly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom Back Refresh