What's new

The Lathe thread.

Speaking of lathes- heres one I have in mothballs looking to sell it. Not a great choice as a general purpose machine but quite useful for production work ie cranking out parts on a production basis; perfect for motorcycle-sized bushings, screws etc. I don't do much production so it doesn't get used enough. The last run I did on it was a series of aluminum button caps for a 70's stereo.

small-IMG_20211101_190653.jpg

Finally got a 3 jaw chuck for my lathe, 7" diam or perhaps 180mm because all the fasteners and hole layouts on it are metric. Spanish made by TDG a while ago- so pretty old but in almost mint condition, low if not 0 miles on it. Excellent fit and operation- I'm pretty much always a 4 jaw kind of guy but this chuck is nice. I had to fully machine a rough backplate, reminded me of why I don't much like turning cast iron but it came out really well. Total weight is something around 60lbs, so a bit of a grunt to get it on and off. 1st job chucked here is some 1" bar I used to make a nice big chuck key for it.

IMG_20220318_115649-resize.jpg

This lathe is a 10” swing. So a small OXA would suck.
That stud is removable and I could easily turn a new one to replace it that would be flush with the compound slide.

Now that I’m thinking about it though, how often do I really use a compound slide? Pretty darn rare.

The crossslide on this thing is essentially a small mill bed (since it’s also a mill)

Maybe I’ll just machine a riser block to sit on the mill bed. It would be more rigid without the compound slide anyways, and I can make the height and overhang anything I want. Then I can use an AXA. Or even a BXA QCTP and set the centreline height at whatever I want.

And the rare time I actually need the compound slide I can just put it on and use the old tool post for whatever I need it for.
You could make a solid tool post riser to suit, and remove the top/ compound slide.
I did this on my Chinese lathe and it stiffend things up quite a bit.

IMG_20210808_165429.jpg
IMG_20220220_124117.jpg

Thats a LeBlond Regal- pretty nice machine but relatively lightweight which has advantages and disadvantages. I've had hands on one taking off a stuck chuck, but did not run it.

This one looks really well tooled which justifies the price to a degree, and location is a big factor too. The headstock gears are known for being a bit lighter duty than they should be but certainly up for reasonably unreasonable work.

Its a very useful form factor- you can put fairly large work on it in addition to small and the chuck sizes are well-chosen. A very capable machine looking to be in great shape :)

You'd be into a full size pro lathe, or cnc- so way more than $5k. Such a machine would offer a higher max spindle rpm and more modern features like combined metric and sae threads, spindle brake, spindle jog, rapid traverse, follow rest (the LeBlond doesn't have one looks like)

which is pretty nice- I saw one quote of $23k for this model lathe; smaller swings are cheaper. Hard to beat $5k for a well maintained fully tooled lathe if it does the stuff you need. The chucks on the Regal are likely very good if well fit and not worn out- that machine looks like it was carefully prepped and operated so its likely capable of good work from day 1. Note that 4 sided toolpost is a McCroskey- top quality stuff from back in the day. The 3 jaw chuck shown is a Bison- good modern stuff from Poland- likely better than what ships with that Kent lathe. The LeBlond's toolpost is adequate, but comes with a good selection of apparently quality tooling in the toolholders. The general rule is that you'll spend the same amount on the lathe tooling as you do on the lathe- but much of that is already present; one of the reasons why $5k is arguably reasonable.

The Teco vfd is good stuff too, though the install could be better. As-is its pretty convenient but the small buttons tend to be awkward.

My 1936 12" American was $2k, filthy, partially tooled, needing a bunch of work and not in running condition. I've spent way more than that on time and effort getting it to its happy place- a bit of $ also but not a full $2k.

Last edited:
Speaking of lathes- heres one I have in mothballs looking to sell it. Not a great choice as a general purpose machine but quite useful for production work ie cranking out parts on a production basis; perfect for motorcycle-sized bushings, screws etc. I don't do much production so it doesn't get used enough. The last run I did on it was a series of aluminum button caps for a 70's stereo.

small-IMG_20211101_190653.jpg
So you got Greg's lathe I see. :D

That was a good buy!
:D

I used to own this 1945 Monarch 10EE. Bought as a project. But kinda realized I was in way over my head w/ the electronics. An elec engr friend helped me get it running. But w/ the wear and electricals, it just wasn't a good fit for me and I sold it about 10 years back.

10EE.jpg

So you got Greg's lathe I see. :D

That was a good buy!
:D

lol, I am he :) I did sell off the lathe though (at my usual breathtaking $ loss) - another Wade 7 turret guy actually using his to make money- mine was lots less worn than his, so it was a good upgrade for him.

I used to own this 1945 Monarch 10EE. Bought as a project. But kinda realized I was in way over my head w/ the electronics. An elec engr friend helped me get it running. But w/ the wear and electricals, it just wasn't a good fit for me and I sold it about 10 years back.

10EE.jpg
That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought electronics would be an issue on that machine. I assumed it would be purely mechanical after switching the motor on.

lol, I am he :) I did sell off the lathe though (at my usual breathtaking $ loss) - another Wade 7 turret guy actually using his to make money- mine was lots less worn than his, so it was a good upgrade for him.
Well no shit! I should have known it was you w/ the ATW lathe, LOL. I just had no idea you rode motorcycles. So didn't make the connection. Ha Ha, small world!

That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought electronics would be an issue on that machine. I assumed it would be purely mechanical after switching the motor on.

Of all the drive variants of the 10EE, the Motor/generator drive (of which it was) is supposedly the easiest to maintain. There is a lot of wiring, circuitry, and various electrical components inside those covers. Might not be too bad for some, but my electrical skills are pretty weak. Plus the machine had a lot of wear and with all that I just decided it was best for me to off-load it.

My current lathe is a 36 ctr-ctr South bend 10L. Its in pretty nice shape, and I've got just about every accessory for it. Even have metric transposing gears. I'll have to put up a decent photo of it. I'd like to get another lathe to accompany it. Something larger in the 12-14 inch or so range.

Well no shit! I should have known it was you w/ the ATW lathe, LOL. I just had no idea you rode motorcycles. So didn't make the connection. Ha Ha, small world!

I remember hauling a couple BS#7 collets down from Philly and giving them to my wife to hand off to you; IIRC you bought a mill out of the same garage I got my 14" ATW from?

Well-met here :)

I remember hauling a couple BS#7 collets down from Philly and giving them to my wife to hand off to you; IIRC you bought a mill out of the same garage I got my 14" ATW from?

Well-met here :)
Doesn't ring a bell? I've never owned anything that takes BS#7 collets? You must be thinking of somebody else. My Bridgeport came out of a garage in Bethesda. :-)

My current lathe is a 36 ctr-ctr South bend 10L. Its in pretty nice shape, and I've got just about every accessory for it. Even have metric transposing gears. I'll have to put up a decent photo of it. I'd like to get another lathe to accompany it. Something larger in the 12-14 inch or so range.
Nice lathe the 10L, i had great ideas for a 10l some years ago, i got a bed and headstock for one in a deal for a load of other tools and some ford kent crossflow engines, At the time i really strugled to find any of the many missing parts it was pre fleabay and indeed the internet and it was just a case of dealers and word of mouth watching auction catalogues etc and i just never seemed to conect with anything for that south bend.

Top Bottom Back Refresh