What's new

THE OLD & Motorcycling.

“…what does being old bring..?”

schedule at least an hour a day here
60542673-FFF6-4BC8-A301-1012E4137A7D.jpeg

9785EAE0-38BA-4C17-BC30-1295EA41789B.jpeg

just to stay here

A591F848-B221-43F4-A10A-057F013BBF02.jpeg

Combined 145 years in the photo. Goin’ for 155 come spring.

Plus large bottles of acetaminophen.

Agree, any off you seem to land much harder, i know that is not actually the case but it certainly feels like it.
My arthritis in my knees is a big negative to offs or even jolting the joints on step offs in trials its excruciating there is no other word for it.
I am sure the associated pain of such oldie wear tear and injury will slow down any counter balancing reaction times and kick down recovery even on a light trials bike again pitches you firmly into lots of pain.
I am as sure as i can be that i will have to get prosthetic knee joints before much longer, there is a Japanese developed injection procedure that is purportedly a equal to invasive prosthetic knee surgery but its apparently going to be ten years before a chance of it filtering through to us humble NHS Patients.
If you are wore out like me, only advice i can give is exercise build the muscle up around the knee joint to help support it as well as it can. Stay away from sugar and carbs in your diet and drink lots of water and include turmatic in food, it wont cure all but it does help.
Arthritis is a bastard of a condition its painful debilatating and to some extent unavoidable . but you can do bits that help ease it a little.
OH! and remember never give up, its better to burn out than rust. :lol2

Chicken skin and fish is a good way to restore collagen. One Brazil nut has almost all the daily value of collagen we need. Also Jello! The gelatin in jello is pretty much the same you get from fish.

Eating liver is good for rebuilding connective tissue. I avoided surgery for planter fasciitis by eating calf liver. Ten years of 24/7 pain gone after two servings of calf liver. I wouldn't believe it if it didn't happen to me personally. Our diet can most definitely keep us from aging so damn fast!

Last edited:
Chicken skin and fish is a good way to restore collagen. One Brazil nut has almost all the daily value of collagen we need. Also Jello! The gelatin in jello is pretty much the same you get from fish.

Eating liver is good for rebuilding connective tissue. I avoided surgery for planter fasciitis by eating calf liver. Ten years of 24/7 pain gone after two servings of calf liver. I wouldn't believe it if it didn't happen to me personally. Our diet can most definitely keep us from aging so damn fast!
Thats very interesting to me i will look into replicating this myself tomorrow. I am as sure as i can be if i could get rid of my knee pain i would positively thrive. Even after my stroke , my knees are still my number one problem . I am on it tomorrow. thank you.

I gave up street riding, and only ride off road for the last several years.

I thought it would be safer :fpalm
I used to say that you could get hurt bad riding on the street……you get injured frequently riding hard core off road.
The goal is to avoid crashing every day until you die of old age.

I've been a casual, but consistent rider since my early teens. I've ridden bikes with the wife & kids and commuted to work. When I retired 3 years ago, I decided to get more motorcycle time both on- and off-road. My wife was supportive under the condition that I did everything I could to stay healthy. We're both pretty active and she wants to keep it that way. She gave me carte blanche for good bikes and safety gear. She's definitely a keeper!

First priority is to try to stay in shape. However, regarding equipment, I may have set a new bar for the definition of ATGAAT. When I go riding, I feel like the Michelin man. So far, it seems to work. I've had several falls on the dirt with only bruises to show for it.

T7.jpg

Last edited:
I used to race DH Mtn bikes. I wasn't very good but damn it was fun! After the 3rd or 4th trip to the hospital my missus at the time just said, "no calls from the hospital!" Class 3 AC separation first downhill race, exploded rotator cuff last DH race and countless shit in between.

I still like to go fast. Been a few years since I've been able to see if my skiing is still up to snuff. I've always had a bad tendency to rip hard and fast on skis or boards, I only broke my leg twice in 20 years of ski bumming.

I count myself lucky no arthritis seems to be cropping up yet but I have been on the glucosamine for 20 years and my old man knees have been good.

How the hell did I survive 20 years of ski bumming and going hard without blowing out a knee?

Giv 'er!:lol3

I used to race DH Mtn bikes. I wasn't very good but damn it was fun! After the 3rd or 4th trip to the hospital my missus at the time just said, "no calls from the hospital!" Class 3 AC separation first downhill race, exploded rotator cuff last DH race and countless shit in between.

I still like to go fast. Been a few years since I've been able to see if my skiing is still up to snuff. I've always had a bad tendency to rip hard and fast on skis or boards, I only broke my leg twice in 20 years of ski bumming.

I count myself lucky no arthritis seems to be cropping up yet but I have been on the glucosamine for 20 years and my old man knees have been good.

How the hell did I survive 20 years of ski bumming and going hard without blowing out a knee?

Giv 'er!:lol3
I am no mediic or know exactly what causes arthritis exactly , but i know i have been hard on my body . My active life farming deer culling in 1970/ 80s New zealand and My life long Water fowling addiction, have been physically stressful to my body.
I watched my Labradors pulling geese out of thick glutinous mud, and watch them go in the water black for the goose and watch them turn white as they emerge. And then to Sit down in 15 inches of ice capped water waiting for the next geese to jump. I have never so far got a springer spaniel past 12 1/2 years old, and my labs do little better, my oldest German shorthaired pointer was just ten. Its hard being a Waterfowling dog at our house and its clearly not great for me either.
The thick mud wading the cold wet and biting winds lashing rain and sleet no matter how well you dress must take a toll and probably contributed a fair bit to my condition. And Motorbikes winter commuting and even kick starting big old singles and triumphs for years, i remember the kick backs jared my 17 year old right knee back then, so its again probably not helped.

I keep a set of 20lb weights in the living room- if in there to watch youtube or whatever then its easy to put in sets of curls, flys etc or planks/pushups off the back of the couch or floor, maybe some situps. Cardio on the treadmill in the gym, looking forward to longer daylight and more reasonable bicycling weather; that helps a lot too.

Helps with wrenching in the shop too- I was fitting the nozzle for a diy chain oiler this evening; up and down off the floor a bunch of times; didn't have to grunt once :)

I need a daily slathering of Voltarin on the left Knee, left Elbow, and the back of both hands for Arthritis, if I want to perform any work.
My last ride got pretty painful at 4 hours in, and had to stop due to clutch hand giving up the ghost

I started drinking Bergamot tea to see if that will help
I bathe in that stuff - wish they sold it in 5 gallon buckets rather than a tube.

Attachments

• volt.jpg
    volt.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
I suffered from PF for 3 years and thought that was bad. 10 years! Now I'm dealing with the Achilles pain I got from leaping into barefoot shoes too fast 10 years ago...which they think caused a gait change and thus the PF.

I've been a casual, but consistent rider since my early teens. I've ridden bikes with the wife & kids and commuted to work. When I retired 3 years ago, I decided to get more motorcycle time both on- and off-road. My wife was supportive under the condition that I did everything I could to stay healthy. We're both pretty active and she wants to keep it that way. She gave me carte blanche for good bikes and safety gear. She's definitely a keeper!

First priority is to try to stay in shape. However, regarding equipment, I may have set a new bar for the definition of ATGAAT. When I go riding, I feel like the Michelin man. So far, it seems to work. I've had several falls on the dirt with only bruises to show for it.

T7.jpg
That's a slick looking jacket and pants. What is that?

Top Bottom Back Refresh