What's new

The Older I get, the Faster I was!!

I got my Husky TE510 pinned in 6th once offroad across a dry lake bed, that 90ish wasnt bad until i started to get a headshake :lol3
street I was never the fastest but usually one of them in the groups, I just cant justify the risk of going that fast though in the canyons lol
It was always fun smoking new porsches and other sports cars up on Angeles Crest though :ricky

On the street, I think common sense/ self preservation is kicking in ( finally) so I find the urge to nail a corner harder slowly fading. But at the same time I'm still improving as a rider and suspension tuner. As a result I'm going through corners at least as fast as ever, if not faster, but I'm more composed and comfortable doing it, so the thrill is not quite the same. So, I haven't slowed down, but I feel like I have? It's weird.

In the dirt I'm all over the place. Some days I feel off and just don't push at all. The next day I might get wound up and next thing I know I'm doing things I probably shouldn't 😂

I got my Husky TE510 pinned in 6th once offroad across a dry lake bed, that 90ish wasnt bad until i started to get a headshake :lol3
street I was never the fastest but usually one of them in the groups, I just cant justify the risk of going that fast though in the canyons lol
It was always fun smoking new porsches and other sports cars up on Angeles Crest though :ricky

Just saying.... headshake sucks, and were offering $50 off a GPR solution.

1659102705637.png

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2588 Apr. 07 16.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2588 Apr. 07 16.40.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2
On the street, I think common sense/ self preservation is kicking in ( finally) so I find the urge to nail a corner harder slowly fading. But at the same time I'm still improving as a rider and suspension tuner. As a result I'm going through corners at least as fast as ever, if not faster, but I'm more composed and comfortable doing it, so the thrill is not quite the same. So, I haven't slowed down, but I feel like I have? It's weird.

In the dirt I'm all over the place. Some days I feel off and just don't push at all. The next day I might get wound up and next thing I know I'm doing things I probably shouldn't 😂
I get what you mean, i get familiar with a route and ride it in all weathers and with me anything can trigger a bout of silly, i can just get the urge and go for it and it can be some times i have been building up to the session over several rides. Kind of a planned attack if you like, and when i get that urge its as strong as it ever was and feeling that raggy edge and confidence flow so actively its literaly uplifting if just a bit reckless.
Without getting too in depth, i own several IZH Planeta sport 350s, ( A russian/ yamaha conglamouration from the cold war era. ) Frame is a stout tubular afair with great geometry to it and Engine is 32BHP Two stroke single, they were allegedly the fastest bike from russia, handling is good kind of feels brit bike in nature. Brakes well lets just pass on them for sake of debate, But overal i Rode these bikes regularly for almost 20 years on back roads, and even with the brakes and occasional other cars i could average 70 mph over the 30/ 33 miles to work each day on public roads, so i was not hanging around. not exactly ago or foggarty etc but on the rushing russian i think i do quite good.

1659102705637.png
yep it sucks allright, a decent investment.

Reactions: MVI
I get what you mean, i get familiar with a route and ride it in all weathers and with me anything can trigger a bout of silly, i can just get the urge and go for it and it can be some times i have been building up to the session over several rides. Kind of a planned attack if you like, and when i get that urge its as strong as it ever was and feeling that raggy edge and confidence flow so actively its literaly uplifting if just a bit reckless.
I love that feeling of riding near the edge but feeling in perfect control. I used to get it often when riding days of twisties in a row. I just felt like i could put the bike exactly where I wanted. My lines felt perfect:ricky:ricky:ricky

These days that doesn't happen that often and I don't push as close to the edge as I used to. I'm also often riding much slower bikes. I'm leaving Sunday morning for one of my favorite riding areas. It will be four days of some of the twistiest roads in the country. I hoping to get in the "groove" during that time and have a great time in the curves. Being on a 14 HP bike should keep my speed in check although on most of these roads power won't be the thing limiting my speed.

Last edited:
As a result I'm going through corners at least as fast as ever, if not faster, but I'm more composed and comfortable doing it, so the thrill is not quite the same. So, I haven't slowed down, but I feel like I have? It's weird.

Over the years I’ve crewed for geezer car friends who can afford HSR and SVRA.

“Wanna be faster? Slow down…”

“Nobody EVER won a race on lap one.”

I needed that before I highsided in a wash at 55, that hurt :lol3 She has been long since sold, Im thinking I may need a new dirtbike soon though.

I knew i was old at 65net year and what with a minor stroke leaving me with a slightly numb right side, and add to that my bad right knee and right now a bout of sciatica wreaking hell with everything i do.
So having got all that out the way Why My Post you might ask.
Well a Some what tentative Matty was in the Yard late this afternoon, and a bike comes up the track i recognize it as my mate Trev. On of all things a KTM, and that He who criticized them since time immemorial too.
"what you doing on that thing".. "Got it Yesterday, hey go get your helmet a Jacket and gloves you are going to love this"
"cant mate the back is agony i am telling you"... "Look go get your helmet i tell you".
Well he is one of the oldest friends i got go back to 4 years old, I went in got my gear and threw my leg over this thing. A 6 month old 1290 ADventure r.
Up the track went steady and it felt relaxed tame in fact, on to the road and it felt nice plenty or torque from low down and responded faultlessly. Out onto themain road and i opened it up and all i can say is Wow1 it really is not at all what i expected it was possitively wild in fact. I was as numb as a brick with adrenalin it might have been body beating the pain in my back or fright or flight not sure. But this much i do know , that thing is fast too fast for an adventure bike, but i will admit its undoubtably exiting to ride if you give it the beans, sportsbike like, yet trickle along on it its a grunty pussy cat or a thing almost cooking in nature. but beware give it a handful or throttle and lock up your daughters its on it big style.
Impressed? ill say i was right up until i got o0ff the bike, then my back flared up. Did i enjoy it. ? OH yes?
Is it a good bike ? I think so.
Would i buy one? no cant afford one, nor would i buy one if i could. .. Why not? Well as good as it is i think its just too much too fast just too much and i just cant see why that much grunt is needed from an adv bike or quite what you would be doing to unleash that power certainly off road.
But if you want to cross a continent on its gravel roads very fast indeed, the KTM 1290 r could well be the bike for you. Stay safe. Matty.

I've been into triple digits with my Piaggio X10 on a down hill run and with my (current) Kymco AK550. There was a bit more available on the Kymco but I was happy with 161KpH.

I dislike how steering dampers numb the steering feeling. Mr. Sergio Pininfarina is supposed to have said. "If you need to put a wing on a sportscar, you've messed up the design." Same IMHO goes for steering dampers. Although if you need that crutch, these look good.
I'm getting older, and have arthritis in both elbows, and the left hand, bad.

I still need to install it, and I'll do a review after I have a few rides under my belt.

145 mph indicated on my ‘15 R1200R. GPS said 139 mph. Either way, fast enough for me on a naked bike.

Top Bottom Back Refresh