What's new
  • If you don't frequent the chat forum, make sure you read this post regarding land usage. It would be great if we could get everybody to send a comment in before Oct 7th!

THE SPACE ODYSSEY.

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
Please share your innovative ways and means of creating space where it is far from at a premium.?
You know the score. "Where the hell am i going to put this bike i got three in there already" and "what i needs another shelf" Or perhaps you need another Wall for multiples Of shelves,
Racks Lockers Cupboards Storage Hooks, whatever. We all need more space and clever use of what we have needs sharing, and this is the place to share that information.

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
OK i admit i am disappointed 135 views and not a single bright idea.:jack

So here goes.
The most crowded part of any storage is the floor, for obvious reasons. The old hanging stuff from the rafters idea is not that practical but it gets unused space helping to facilitate your accumulated clutter.
Shelves are good and you can try mounting wide low shelving from strong door T hinges mounted off the walls that drop down to the floor when not used if need be.. You can either have wooden hinge out legs or suspend the shelves from threaded bar from upper shelves or rafters.
The good thing about the drop down shelving is it can be used in a small building to store a lot of stuff , but if you need it for working not storage you can relocate gear and it filds down flush with the wall and you have full size of the building again.

psykown

Member Number
Idk I've found that having deliberate storage is better than just general storage. Build a few shelves and now you have a few more shelves of junk and still no storage, but build a shelf thats only for bike X maintenance parts or that only gets used during rebuilds and everything stays way neater

right now Ive got a 48" toolbox that I use as the Daily/Very short term project storage only one project at a time is ever on it and it gets completely cleaned off after every project or every few days
Then each of my bikes also gets one of the $10 plastic totes for spare parts or maintenance labelled and stacked, It's helped cut down on the clutter for me and made working on things take way less time as well

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
Agree organization can make space at times, i relate to the plastic tote idea but being a peasant i use cardboard boxes which are both cheap but a bad idea, I kid you not, i have had more fires...No raging infernos started by grinding sparks on cardboard boxes than any other things in workshops the one i learneed to avoid cardboard from was the old open out a cardboard box cover the damp patch on the bench spill idea was a shocker. It invariably got left got a bit of diesel or petrol spll and your grinding away and you are sudenley aware of heat behind you, and the floor is ablase and just licked onto that dog meat can with just a little paint thiner with 3 old brushes in it and thats igniting that cardboard box of door seals you had on the shelf and the one next to that.
This literally happened to me and i managed to save the day but it was getting serrious and at one point i nearly ran and let it go. I remember sitting down exhausted after the fight, and looking at the two empty co2 cylinders laid there amidst the black smouldering mess and thinking Fu*k Cardboard.

Last edited:

psykown

Member Number
Now that hasnt happened yet thankfully, I have set my plans on fire more times than I cared to redraw them though :lol3

I used to use cardboard boxes but it they just always fell apart, after switching to totes I couldnt go back lol plus all those slightly oily engine parts dont ruin the bottom and are easy to clean out:thumb

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
I like the on wheels idea but only have a single experience of a welding wheeled frame. it was nothing special (I still acctualy have it out back) but it made moving a heavy old air cooled buz box arc welder and a small set up for gassles mig welder about much easier. And when i wanted it away it was parked neat under a bench , only reason i stopped using it after a decade or more was i removed the fixed bench and vice and sat it outside under a small pole barn bench shelter.
I will reuse it but i am converting the old stables to two shops mostly for machines and bikes with a lathe in each along the back to free up the big shop. ideal size at 18ftx 18ft each but not big enough for widening the doors for car use.

Last edited:

Top Bottom