What's new

The true fate of "adv" riding

Danno

Member Number
I have been riding for over 3 decades. I have owned 50cc to 1640cc. My 1st bike was a 750 zook. I see patterns and I just wonder what everyone else sees and experiences in the life of motorcycles. I could write a book but I see patterns from the 1% to moped gangs to bmw enthusiasts, working at an hd dealer, wringing out xr100s to ke100s, it400 to yz250. I actually feel blessed in the moto world. But I always wonder!

I see new videos of sur ronster and e bikes or other e bikes. Walmart razor builds to my coleman builds. Is there 2 wheel unity in our future. I dream of knucklehead cross country the same as a zuma. I just wonder...is there something for us all in the future. I get escaping life in another continent and taking care of an in-law parent. Is the dream still alive or will the dream never die? I think I said enough but.....I would appreciate insight from the crew.

Danno

Member Number
Wile e Coyote never dies!
Who needs honda when harbor frieight and the 1320 exists!

Hell of adventure. Got a 1000 more 2 wheel enthusiast. But it is meaningless.

Danno

Member Number
I'm not sure what question is being asked, but as long as people want to have an adventure, they can.

None just that fellow appreciation means something. Kinda an inside joke but very serious because it affects us all. So giving back to younger generations outside of the normal demographic pay dividends rather than constant arguments that lead to politics or things outside of 2 wheel passion. Nothing serious but all comes back full circle. I own 20 different bikes. I was saved by moto enthusiasm and that is what I back.

Danno

Member Number
I have watched the passions of my life destroy themselves. Wakebording was the worst. I was maybe top 100 in the world in the 90s and now it is destroyed. Boats cost $180k and the soul of the sport was lost. But I called the downfall through the patterns of the players. I do watch post count here, there and even chinarider. I see patterns....attitudes. corporate you name it..so also a warning to those who care.

Member Number
I'm still not tracking. Is this about how ADV riding has moved away from its simple roots and been transformed and diluted into something less desirable?

Danno

Member Number
I'm still not tracking. Is this about how ADV riding has moved away from its simple roots and been transformed and diluted into something less desirable?
I am not sure..but the patten for destruction might loom because of cost. But adv is such a wide term that it has the chance of reinventing itself. Then corporations will become flexible...ha already quite flexible. A trials bike can be an adventure or a rokon. But rtw does seem to be the romantic version of adv. But not so much a ruckus or gy6 clone riding to Dead Horse.

Member Number
Cost can definitely get in the way of actually doing something if allowed to balloon unchecked, especially when pursued without knowing why something is deemed necessary.

I have a friend with an R1200GS that never goes anywhere because he still needs the right luggage and the right riding gear and the right tent and the right sleeping bag and on and on and on. He also has a very nice Jeep that never goes anywhere because of the same kind of paralysis, in addition to an overriding fear of even the tiniest scratch on a skid plate. He's fully captured by the marketing and the promotion of ADV, and is captivated by the image it offers. He lets the idea of ADV get in the way of doing it.

Combine that market driven approach with the social media mandate that whatever you do has to be packaged and promoted to impress, and the form of whatever ADVing was decades ago gets lost in the rush to very publicly tick a bucket list. If all of that makes someone happy, fine by me, but I can't help but see a lack of joy and engagement with the backcountry.

I think we'll see a shift if people slow down enough to gain a better understanding of how easy it is for "ADVing" to draw them down the well worn paths of consumerism and self-imposed social media pressure. Like so many other things, C-19 has impacted this, too. As we move forward, the ADV hype will slow, and the next big thing will become popular. Once the pressure has eased, you may see more people discover that you don't need the latest bit of gear or the most extreme video to enjoy yourself on the road or trail.

Last edited:

Alan F.

Member Number
I haven't been adventurous. I've ridden with others that I thought were adventurous though. I used to measure myself by the acts of others, but I don't anymore. I feel that all motorcycles enable freedom, adventure and excitement. You don't need special gear to get out there in the thick of it, although some (as in all things) will work better than others. I don't use social media, unless motorcycle forums count. I don't have a large budget for my bikes, and although it seems to be growing, I still take advantage of bargains. I'll get out riding, but it'll never scratch the itch to go farther, higher or lower. There will always be another road, another bike, another day. I'm not seeing a decline personally, I'm hoping for a better riding season each year. I think if more of us ride, there will be more of us riding. It's really not more complicated than that.

Amos Malone

Member Number
Stuff like riding around the world on dirt roads is getting more difficult. It seems more countries are closed now than at any time since the collapse of USSR. "Adventure" bikes are prohibitively expensive.

Some sort of adventure riding will always be with us. You can have adventure on any bike. There are still plenty of nice and safe areas you can ride in.

Danno

Member Number
Well that sums up alot. So maybe a shift is happening. And riders will always adventure. Maybe the core group is all riders and not just what mfgs are quick to cash in on as a key word. That is how I kinda see it. In surfing or skating it is getting back to your roots. Both those sports/lifestyles have survived, evolved, remained affordable and seem to always grow. I guess I have never said "I went adventure riding" but I have said "I went riding and explored some new roads".

Last edited:

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
"Adventure" has different meaning to different people. Adventure is much more than riding a fully farkled, fully loaded BMW GSA around the world. When I bought my first bike and started exploring the area within around 25 miles of my home I considered that an adventure. A few years later I loaded up my GS550E and moved across the country. Before that I had never ridden across the state line. That was certainly an adventure to me. Since then I have had hundreds if not thousands of adventures on two wheels. I have even owned a real adventure bike, a 95 R1100GS.

The biggest threat to adventure ridering for future generations is that so many look for adventure on their devices online and disconnect from the real world and reality. On top of that so many have been taught that safety is paramount and risk taking is stupid. Luckily not everyone buys into that.

Last edited:

Danno

Member Number
The best adveture I ever had on motorcycles was commuting to work 300 days a year in the snow belt. I once went 2 1/2 yrs without touching a steering wheel. I lived there from 2007 and didnt have a car till 2017. I might take the wife's car a few day a yr but it was rare. I always got riding time on some of the prettiest days even if it was only 3°.

Yooper_Bob

Socially Inept
ADV+
Member Number
There were lots of people taking "adventure" trips long before it became "in vogue", and I will suspect that will continue long after the market moves on to the next hot, money making, segment.

You just won't see as many posers hanging around Starbucks on their immaculate 4 year old GS with 1,000 miles on it, wearing $2K worth of spotless adventure gear.

Yooper_Bob

Socially Inept
ADV+
Member Number
I think the biggest influence on the whole adventure market has been the huge advent of social media in our society.

Once adventure riding became so popular in social media, the manufacturers picked up on this new and exciting market segment.

This has had both a positive and negative influence. On the plus side, manufacturers have provided a slew of new adventure focused bikes and gear.

The negative side of that coin is they have dollar signs in their eyes and want to maximize their piece of the pie (btw...I am all for capitalism).

The more popular a market segment is, the more you can charge customers to "join in the revolution".

I've been to enough rallys over the past decade plus to see brand new "adventure riders" show up with all of the right bikes and gear, but none of the skills. They buy everything but some actual training. The minute they hit the dirt, all of the high dollar trinkets become worthless, and they bite the dust (just like we all did while learning).

My experience has shown me that those noobs that show up on an old beater, wearing bib overalls and a pair of workboots are more likely to stick it out and actually learn how to ride dirt. The noobs with all of the high dollar gear instantly head for the tarmac, and you never see them again at another rally.

Just my ramblings...:gerg

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
There were lots of people taking "adventure" trips long before it became "in vogue"
Very true. I met someone back in 1994 who was on what I would consider a truly epic adventure ride. Some of you may have read this story in my "Those were the days" thread in ride reports but I'll repeat it here:

Another young lady was also camping at TWO at this time. She was on a truly epic journey. Keep in mind this was was before ADV where there are a lot of epic ride reports. This lady would have been able to write a truly epic ride report.

Meet Nicki:

n_OLD%2520PICS%2520AND%2520SCANS_Nikki_zps65d01348.jpg

Nicki was from England where she was a migrant farm worker. She was also a motorcycle rider. She saved her money for a few years and bought a round trip ticket to Florida. The return ticket had no set date. Her plan was to see as much of America as she could before she ran out of money. When she got to Florida she bought a used Suzuki GS650L. The guy who sold it to her told her about TWO so she rode up to GA and was Camped at TWO while we where there. She even gave the old ladies in the previous pic a ride on her bike! When she went to pay her bill at at TWO she discovered the guy in Florida had phoned ahead and said he would pay her bill
clap.gif

She also said that everywhere she went people where paying for her meals and other stuff. She said at this rate it would be a long time before she ran out of money.

Months later I got a letter from Nicki. She made it all the way to San Francisco and back riding over 16,000 miles. She included copies of a some pics from her trip. Someday when I find them I'll add them in here.

south east okie

Member Number
What is ADV riding?
To some it's dirt roads, to some its double track , some single track, some no track, to some pavement.

I think the 200mph street rider is ADV also the moped rider, the guy on the trike. All of us that ride , if it's TAT or just local riding in the neighbor hood.

Riding styles will change, it always has. The only thing that never changes is: that there's always change.

To me it's any motorcycle ride, it's always an adventure.

Top Bottom