What's new

Things People Say to Bikers

cabanza

Member Number
Who hasn't experienced the odd comment while riding?

Rider Magazine published a funny article about people and their reactions to motorcycles:

I'll admit to watching Biker Build-Off. I forget who it was that built their chopper with a Triumph engine in one episode, but I remember some guy probably in his 30's that got his 15 seconds on camera babbling about never having seen a Triumph chopper before and didn't know it could be done!

I remember once I was stopped at a gas station on my V-Strom and some guy kept asking "What is it?"
A Suzuki V-Strom.
Adventure Bike.
Kinda like a dual sport.

"But what is it?!"

I couldn't believe this guy genuinely acted like it was the first bike he had ever seen that wasn't a Harley or sport bike.

Years ago, an old guy came up to me, when I was on my Suzuki GSX1400, and said "I had one of those". I was about to be impressed, an old guy ridding a 14, but he added, "It was a BSA bantam". Sorry, mate, no kudos.well, only a little.

I'll admit to watching Biker Build-Off. I forget who it was that built their chopper with a Triumph engine in one episode, but I remember some guy probably in his 30's that got his 15 seconds on camera babbling about never having seen a Triumph chopper before and didn't know it could be done!
What's a chopper? :lol3

Poor Tuttles - or maybe not so poor? I imagine most of us were sitting there thinking "This is gonna pass real soon."

it would be about 1981 I was on an old 1973 Yamaha XS2 650 at a petrol station i stopped had to pull the bike on the main stand because the side stand was sprained/ bent so i had took it off to straighten /weld it.
Paid for fuel was back at the bike Started it and it was ticking over and wile i was putting my helmet and gloves on i noticed the bike was moving on the mainstand on the smooth concrete.
A Woman in a Raange rover parked behind me came up and said " Do you know your bike is moving around on its own, should it do that?". "NO" i replied "But she just likes dancing its common practice with this model". the woman looked confused , And as i pushed it off the stand She Approached Me and said "Are you serrious" ? I answered "I have never been so serrious in my life", She looked even more bewildered, I dopped it in gear and she was still stood watching me ride off looking Confused.

I used to get mistaken for a cop often on my FZ07 which I didn't really understand. Some awkward conversations there.

I had a GME plunger framed chopper that had a '72 CB750 engine in it. It looked old but the engine plainly said Honda on it, and random people would get a kick out of that. The engine was silly wide in a skinny chopper frame and looked pretty impressive. Only a couple people ever said something stupid about a "Jap engine don't belong in a chopper" or something along those lines.

I was sitting in traffic on that bike one day when the passenger door of the SUV beside me popped open and a very, very attractive lady jumped out and ran around to the back of the car to get something out of the hatch. Her boyfriend had locked the door on her and you could hear the power locks going back and forth as he teased her and wouldn't let her in. I got her attention and patted the passenger seat. " Hey, I'll take you where you want to go. Don't worry about him". I think I stunned her. She was still holding the door handle but, with a big smile on her face, she kept looking at e passenger seat then back at me. "C'mon. He's acting silly. Hop on." She was still smiling just looking at me, no longer trying to get in the car. That's when the boyfriend let down the window and you could hear him telling her to get in the car.

brrrrrrrr "hey, get in....it's unlocked, get in....get in the car.....HEY....GET IN THE CAR!"

I was in stitches laughing. He looked extremely unhappy but she waved and was still smiling as she rode away. 😂

Oh, not to long ago I was sitting on my blue FZ 09 wearing a red and white jacket when a little boy in the car beside me was waving his arms to get my attention. I looked over and he proudly poked his chest out and pointed at his Captain America Tshirt. I gave him two thumbs up and he was stoked! That was pretty awesome.

Pretty bad when even an internet-connected teenager doesn't know Honda made motorcycles. Loved the "nice tractor" response to the Harley guy's scooter diss.

When I worked for the City of Tampa and visited the Harley dealer often to buy parts for the Police bikes, one of the two brothers (service manager) who ran the business their father started long before would often rag me about my CBX, typical American vs Japanese crap of the time. With him being a professional mechanic, it was one of the most ridiculous statements ever made to me when he once talked about my CBX engine's complexity by saying "but if it blows up you can't rebuild it".

Nowhere except the casting on the cylinders does my 450 say what size it is (stock sidecovers no longer used), but the cylinder head is unique among Hondas for the last 50 years. Anyone who has ever seen any vintage Honda twins should see the difference between the 450 and the 350 or even moreso, the 30° inclined 305 engines... but I have people ask me often if my bike is a 305. I'm guessing the red frame is the only reason, at one time they saw a CL77 with red frame and that's the only detail they recall.

Of course there's always someone wanting to tell you about someone they knew that crashed a bike. I like to tell them about my uncle that fell off a ladder once and they give you a funny look after that.

Had a good one Just after Covid subsided, was like the first nice weather after the lockdown. And I went for a ride down into yorkshire a week day if i remember probably a wednesday .
Anyway, i was on my old 1996 triumph Sprophy 900. a Triumph trophy with Black Sprint fairing and panels etc.
Had a good run down not much on roads, stopped near Lowes and ended up having a ride from there over to Redcar and down the coast to scarbourgh and a run Straight back up to the A1 north and back home.
Was packed out with folk in scarbourgh and i decided to call at a cafe at the north bay and have a cup of tea then home.
Was a few bikes in at the cafe there, was talking to a lad on a Triumph bobber he had apparently bought accident damaged and repaired has his locked down in his shed project. Wile we were stood chewing the fat an elderly gentleman in his 80s i would say was looking at the line of bikes and he walked up to us and Proudly announced "I had a Triumph years ago". We both Looked interested in what the chap had and the Other lad asked " What Triumh did you have then sir". We were expecting a T500 or who knows a sprung hub he was old enough to have had one of them.
The Old chap Grinned and announced " a 500 ES2". Oh well that did not go down very well, and Both being way too polite to mention Norton made the ES2 Not triumph We nodded interestedly .
He went on to say how he used to ride to the dances With his Friend who also had a Norton and how the time on that Norton were some of the happiest times of his life.
The conversation went on and he was a nice chap and explained his exploits as a young man on his Norton.
The Lad on the Triumph bobber who would have been in his early 50s at a guess, Chimed in " Are you sure it was a triumph and not a Norton"? The old chap looked confused and a little pensive then replied, " Oh it was a Norton all right But same family as the Triumph as the last i heard Norton Villiers and triumph were all the one firm NVT. ".
He was of course correct and The other bobber chap looked like he was going to correct him, and i quickly repplied to the old chap, "Thats Right they were the same company at one poin t but since then tthey are independent of each other at the moment have been some years now"2.
The Old chap looked Quite sad and asked " Norton are still on the go though?"
"oh yes i replied they are still there have had issues but still there".
" the old chap Gave a beaming smile and said " Good i am really pleased about that i like norton and its nice they are still around isnt it"?
"Yes it is" i replied. He reached out and shook hands with us both and his parting coment was " thank you both very much its good to talk about motor bikes good day".
And he walked off. When he had Gone the other chap asked 2 Was he right about Norton villiers triumph were they the same company?" . "yes they were the same company for a time in the late 70s early 80s".
he replied " I did not know that and there is me thinking the old guy is loosing the plot and all the time it was me ". we both laughed. for a time we both thought he was confused possibly down to his age, but in fact he was a very nice chap and in fact as sharp as a razor and he knew his way around motorbikes too by the sounds of it.

Years ago, like 40 of 'em, I was doing my regular commute, riding through the neighborhood to get to the freeway, to get to work. I was renting an apartment in a low-rent section of Oakland, CA. I got about 5 blocks from my place when an attractive woman in a slinky dress ran out from a house, blocked me in the street and hopped on the back, urging me to ride her away down to the next major intersection. That I did. She hopped off and 'got away.' From what I can only imagine. :johntm

Last edited:
Weird I’ve never had anyone tell me they didn’t Suzuki or Honda made motorcycles.

A cop did harass me at a gas station one time while I was on my Honda Monkey. He didn’t believe it was street legal.

Ural owners get what is called the UDF which can be a pain sometimes.

UDF is the Ural delay factor which happens when you are stopped like for getting gasoline and people come up asking questions about your rig.

I know right.
Homeless guys run stolen plates on their stolen bikes of every variety though, so I can almost understand him checking the registration. Almost. I would like to think it’s pretty clear that I’m not a homeless guy in a stolen electric scooter.
I would get alot of attention on my drzsm sumo at waffle house from the police. They would do some weird stuff. The bike had zero mods. I fixed the situation by backing in so only the front of the bike could be seen. From then on every bike got backed in and never had an issue again.

I know right.
Homeless guys run stolen plates on their stolen bikes of every variety though, so I can almost understand him checking the registration. Almost. I would like to think it’s pretty clear that I’m not a homeless guy in a stolen electric scooter.
May be you had that crazy homeless guy look in your eyes? :lol3

Top Bottom Back Refresh