What's new

This Red Light isn't Changing to Green!

Slow zig zagging over the line has been the most consistent method for me. I guess it helps to disrupt the field. And almost every light has a sensitive spot. Some lights are almost impossible. And as far as getting pulled ovet...depends where you are and time of day. At 2:00 am you are going to get yanked. Easier to turn right after checking for a clear path and then u turn legally. The other is faking bike trouble and pushing. This can be done in traffic jams to hop a sidewalk and get out of the danger zone. Car drivers are eager to use cell phones and seeing someone push a bike gives them the satisfaction for their egos without calling the cops on ya. I dont like discussing laws with the police. And running a red for any reason could lead to court costs just to prove your knowledge of the law. Some of the worst lights are watched!! So basically a trap. I had friend wait well over ten mins without a car insight. He was looking at the cop the whole time. He finally rode through the red and got blue lighted.

Probably a nice coil from a solenoid could be pulsed with a momentary switch. I use the starter. Also ha funny it seems the ignition system sets it off. All my crude bikes with possible solid core wires or not well shieled gets the lights the best. Super easy to trigger with a tomos two stroke moped for some odd reason. My ct70 clone also gets every light.

It isn't weight that trips the light, it is a metal detector. Your trick may work because the suspension compresses and gets the motor closer to the sensor. Sometimes pushing down the centerstand also works.
I never did know how they worked, always assumed the wiring or lines in the cuts in the pavement might have been some kind of contacts that the vehicle's weight compressed and made a connection. Not that it matters to me much anymore based on where I live, I almost never encounter them these days.

I've never worried about what's legal in the particular state I'm in or tried gyrations like lowering kickstand/centerstand or weaving. I simply give it a reasonable amount of time then go when safe. In 40 years I've never been pulled over for it. Knowing what's legal in a state would be nice if I had to contest a ticket but I ride in too many states to memorize all their laws ahead of time.

I never did know how they worked, always assumed the wiring or lines in the cuts in the pavement might have been some kind of contacts that the vehicle's weight compressed and made a connection. Not that it matters to me much anymore based on where I live, I almost never encounter them these days.
I cant remember and the closest light is 12 miles away now. But I lived other places where there were alot of lights. The cuts determine the system. If I find the page I'll post it. Also timers are still used. There is a little bit of route planning and weird magic that seems to work. Then it really never happens. And if you track which lights...then you can always get the green arrow ahead of other traffic.

The light at the end of my road is awful .. won't trip by any of my bikes or my r50 Mini Cooper. It's pretty inconsistent with my truck too but it does go sooner or later, also it's a no right on red intersection. I run it constantly.
I got pulled on my 200 beta and got a verbal, though I think the cop was more concerned that my 2t dirt bike was legal. (he was impressed). My buddy got a ticket at the same light (same cop) for doing the right turn/U-turn trick.

The light at the end of my road is awful .. won't trip by any of my bikes or my r50 Mini Cooper. It's pretty inconsistent with my truck too but it does go sooner or later, also it's a no right on red intersection. I run it constantly.
I got pulled on my 200 beta and got a verbal, though I think the cop was more concerned that my 2t dirt bike was legal. (he was impressed). My buddy got a ticket at the same light (same cop) for doing the right turn/U-turn trick.

gotta ask, was the RH turn followed immediately with a U turn ? or did he at least go 100 ft down the Road , and then u turn?

I was coached as a kid if you do that, go a " reasoanable distance " before the U-T

gotta ask, was the RH turn followed immediately with a U turn ? or did he at least go 100 ft down the Road , and then u turn?

I was coached as a kid if you do that, go a " reasoanable distance " before the U-T
It was the right on red that got him LOL the u-turn was legal. Driving rules here are crazy.

Reactions: MVI
New England is a big place. Which state said no to RT on RED ?

New England is a big place. Which state said no to RT on RED ?
LOL not as big as Texas!! Ct. the rule here is R on Red unless otherwise posted. The criteria is confusing at best. This particular intersection is as straightforward as they come but the NW corner lot has a monument on it so its a "Town park" so no R on R

The day R on R was legalized country wide, Mass put up 21,000 no turn on red signs. Cambridge just passed a measure for no R on R for the whole city...idjits.

Up here in cowtrails-turned-roadways New England, some intersections do make sense to have no turn on red. Town roads onto secondary highways can also be risky due to the speed differential (and the fact that red lights are becoming more and more just a suggestion up here) . Pedestrian safety is always the mantra in cities. Anything they want done that nobody wants them to do, they cry "safety" and do it anyway. It's all just a racket to squeeze money out of you, mostly.

Not a fan of plate readers, but I'd take those over a no right on red law.

Not a fan of the surveillance state, either.
If you haven't seen the data collected yet, you will be floored when you see what these new cars collect. That is why many on-scene accident investigators plug into the ODB2 port upon arriving on the scene. You can believe that insurance companies will use that data to avoid paying claims. Really sux.

Top Bottom Back Refresh