What's new

This Red Light isn't Changing to Green!

motocopter

Member Number
Some states have passed into law that motorcyclists can proceed through a red traffic signal that will not change to green. Generally, a reasonable wait time is required before the rider may pass when exercising good judgement and safety. Some states have objective points before a rider may pass through a red light. If it's a faulty traffic light, the rider may have to prove this fact in court if defending one's self.

Do verify your state or state of interest. This is most recent listing I could find. Each state is listed with a reference.

red-lights-that-will-not-change-for-motorcycles

Last edited:
This URL might work.

That link works, and of course my home state of Florida is not on this list. My old trick to get the switches/contacts/whatever in the pavement to work when no car is around was to ride up to the light briskly and brake hard to a stop the last 20 to 30 feet to "add" weight to the front wheel from braking force. Didn't always work, but if not I just made a right on red where possible.

Unfortunately Michigan isn’t on the list. I do this already because some of the lights were have here use sensors embedded in the pavement and don’t pick me up. I’m not sitting at a light indefinitely waiting to get clobbered by a drunk or distracted driver.

dead link, listed as "blocked"

It might just be too long. You may be able to get around that by using TinyURL to shorten it up.

This URL might work.

Got it corrected. Thank you for letting me know.

Unfortunately Michigan isn’t on the list. I do this already because some of the lights were have here use sensors embedded in the pavement and don’t pick me up. I’m not sitting at a light indefinitely waiting to get clobbered by a drunk or distracted driver.
Same here. Looking around, it's clear that no one benefits by a rider waiting for a light to turn green.

Alabama isn't on that list. There are a few intersections I ride through regularly that won't change to green for a bike. I have figured out how to get around those. One for example is a left turn. I normally go straight, pull a U turn and then a right to get where I am going. This has the added benefit of adding a curve into my route. On a straight you can normally take a right, pull a U turn and then a right. Since we have right turn on red that is normally not an issue.

There's one down the road from me. Its on a main road, 65mph that people do ~80 on. I've tried waiting there before, and it never registered the bike. I just skip it now.

One day, riding home, I skip it. I get pulled over. Never even noticed the cop. Asked me why I didn't wait. Explained to him I live not far away, and have experience with that light not registering the bike.

Are you sure?
[cars blazing by at 70mph]
You want to wait out there in the middle of the road with me and find out?
Fair enough. Enjoy your ride.

That was that.

There's one down the road from me. Its on a main road, 65mph that people do ~80 on. I've tried waiting there before, and it never registered the bike. I just skip it now.

One day, riding home, I skip it. I get pulled over. Never even noticed the cop. Asked me why I didn't wait. Explained to him I live not far away, and have experience with that light not registering the bike.

Are you sure?
[cars blazing by at 70mph]
You want to wait out there in the middle of the road with me and find out?
Fair enough. Enjoy your ride.

That was that.
A reasonable cop! Too bad this can't be realized before pulling over a rider.

Most intersections around here have recently adopted "left turn on red", so to speak. If you've got a flashing yellow that means you can turn left if traffic is clear. It pretty much alleviates this issue , which only had happen to me once that I can remember.

The strips work on magnetic field. I criss cross the last few feet and usually get it. Some lights the starter can be used to get the magnetic signature. If all else fails in any situation with prying eyes....I stick the keys in my pocket and push. Legally I become a pedestrian with a load. So pedestrian laws now apply. So if a school bus stops for a kid that takes 20 mins to come out the house.....I can switch to pedestrian mode. Just make sure the key is in your pocket.

Putting your sidestand down is another way to trip the magnetic type. Yes I know some bikes may have sidestand down overrides, just be prepared to hit the joy button. If you have to kickstart it... well, hell just run it.

A reasonable cop! Too bad this can't be realized before pulling over a rider.
I don't think he really connected the dangers of sitting in the road on the bike. When I dropped that line on him, you could see it in his face when it clicked.

I've had very few run ins with cops. And I think every one of them has been good. /shrug

There are still quite a few lights where I normally travel that do not have the camera's (flashing the high beams works great), or the flashing yellow left turn arrows. If my bike won't trip the magnetic strip, I wait a reasonable amount of time for a car to pull up behind me to trip it. Since the removal of red light camera's here, if there is no traffic I do a left on Red. Have had no issues with getting stopped for this.

That link works, and of course my home state of Florida is not on this list. My old trick to get the switches/contacts/whatever in the pavement to work when no car is around was to ride up to the light briskly and brake hard to a stop the last 20 to 30 feet to "add" weight to the front wheel from braking force. Didn't always work, but if not I just made a right on red where possible.
It isn't weight that trips the light, it is a metal detector. Your trick may work because the suspension compresses and gets the motor closer to the sensor. Sometimes pushing down the centerstand also works.

Back
Top Bottom