What's new

+ Week Those Were the Days My friend.

The ramp photo is sick! 👍 Instant flashback. Probably ‘65. On leave begging rides to get back to Turkey. Spent two days awake in ready room some base near Paris. An empty Navy crew headed for Incerlik took pity. I totally passed out with a blanket in a pull down cot. Deafening loud but slept deep except once in middle of night I woke up, looked forward, the entire crew, everybody, table and chairs playing cards… Go Navy
I hope when you said entire crew that didn't include both pilots:D

How long where you stationed in Turkey? Based on that story it sounds like you were able to see some of Europe while you were there. I was never stationed in Europe but while flying C-130s a did a number of short deployments to Sigonella, Sicily and we flew all over Europe and the Med. So I got to see all kinds of fascinating places but just like my motorcycle trips I only took a few pics because it was still before the age of digital cameras.

I hope when you said entire crew that didn't include both pilots:D

How long where you stationed in Turkey? Based on that story it sounds like you were able to see some of Europe while you were there. I was never stationed in Europe but while flying C-130s a did a number of short deployments to Sigonella, Sicily and we flew all over Europe and the Med. So I got to see all kinds of fascinating places but just like my motorcycle trips I only took a few pics because it was still before the age of digital cameras.
I did a double take/count. Honestly think that bodacious 130 was on her sweet own. I was sort of preped. The similar ride I snagged going North I was standing up front as we approached a massive city with a river snaking through. I asked, “Paris?” Guy looked down, flipped a page or two, five minutes later “Yeah, Paris”…

Almost two years. Those pre satellite days we had electronic “spook stations” everywhere reporting to NSA.

I did a double take/count. Honestly think that bodacious 130 was on her sweet own. I was sort of preped. The similar ride I snagged going North I was standing up front as we approached a massive city with a river snaking through. I asked, “Paris?” Guy looked down, flipped a page or two, five minutes later “Yeah, Paris”…

Almost two years. Those pre satellite days we had electronic “spook stations” everywhere reporting to NSA.
I was flying around the med from around 95-01. The first year or two we didn't have GPS but we had it after that. We had 2 pilots and a flight engineer. 2 out of three had to be in their seats at any time. I guess things where different in the 60s.

I was flying around the med from around 95-01. The first year or two we didn't have GPS but we had it after that. We had 2 pilots and a flight engineer. 2 out of three had to be in their seats at any time. I guess things where different in the 60s.
Given my sleep loss condition my obs were possibly impaired, for sure. But, I was shocked, wide awake and just pulled the blanket over my head…

To further this hijack. My gig in Turkey was Warsaw Pact aircraft, types, locations, pilots, etc. We had bleeding edge electronics and observed everything airborne. We routinely saw some seriously stupid, unfortunate stuff. One corner of the shop followed us, NATO. Little doubt those guys knew where that 130 was even if its crew did not.

I once , night shift, found, copied, reported an airliner off course, out of corridor, crossing Bulgaria, with two Mig17s, missiles armed and pilots waiting for shootdown order from ground.

There was always some such.

Continuing my story. I would be going to Monterrey for a six week Avaition safety School. I had two choices to get there. One I could fly out with the Navy paying for my ticket and then they would pay for a rental car while I was there. Six weeks in California with only a rental car to drive???

No way!!

Option two was for me to drive out in my own vehicle with the Navy paying mileage and per diem. Luckily Debbi had talked me into getting a Pickup because that gave me the option of putting a bike in the back. I decided to drive my truck out with the EX500 in the back. I considered riding out on the GS but riding back to Maine in November wasn't too appealing to me. I could have put the GS in the back of the truck but loading and unloading the 410 pound EX was a lot easier than the 580 pound GS.

I loaded up the EX, my riding gear and uniforms and clothes I would need while out there into my S-10 and hit the road. I stopped and visited my parents near Cleveland, Oh and then headed out for Colorado. I drove through Denver and stopped in a small town up in the Rockies off of I-70 near Mt Evans. If you remember last time I rode up Mt Evans the road was closed short of the top and I put it on my bucket list. I figured this would be a good time to do it. It was early to mid September and there was no snow on the ground. So I got a room for two nights so I could spend a full day riding in Colorado.

I started by heading up that spectacular road up Mt Evans. I did a little climbing to get this next pic part of the way up.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_Co_zps43d9ac60.jpg

Then another picture stop at Summit Lake.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_MtEvans_zpsd4c33331.jpg

Then it was time to ride to the top at 14,000+ feet.
Except the road was closed
baldy.gif

I couldn't believe it. Maybe it's only open till Labor Day or something
ne_nau.gif

OK, put it back on my bucket list. I still had the rest of the day to go riding. I think I rode over the Loveless pass and then over the Independence Pass. I do remember that the Little EX was pretty gutless at these high elevations and didn't really pull until 7000 RPM. Still it was good to be back out west and riding
ricky.gif
One more pic from Colorado.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_exinco_zps8561d229.jpg

The next morning I got up real early and headed west again.

I'm not sure how I picked my next stop. It was a town in the middle of nowhere that I new nothing about. It wasn't even on my way
ne_nau.gif
All I know is that I was heading west on I-70 in Utah and then made a left turn and headed south on 191 and ended up in a town some of you have heard of. That town would be Moab. I found a motel, checked in and unloaded my bike. I had plenty of daylight left for some riding
ricky.gif

I headed back north on 191, crossed the Colorado River and took a left. I followed that road a ways before pulling a U turn to go check out a road that looked interesting on the map. This next pic was taken on that road that ran along the river. I think it was 279 but might have been 128.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_exnearmoab2_zps91ec3dec.jpg

I rode along 128 until I took a right to ride the Lasalle Mountain Loop. This turned out to be one of the most memorable roads I had ridden up to this point in my life. The road surface wasn't the best but the road twisted and turned its way up the mountain. There were some hairpins where I could look down and back on the road I had just ridden. The views were spectacular
wings.gif
I can't believe I only took one picture.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_exnearmoab_zps73bf56bd.jpg

Eventually the road turned to gravel. I decided to continue on despite being a street rider on a street bike. The gravel ended after a mile or two and the road continued to be a fantastic ride.

I was running out of daylight so I headed back to Moab. I had two more planned stops and limited time left. I had a very memorable time in Moab and thought I'd have to come back some day. I had no idea of all the spectacular riding there was in the area.

The next day I headed north on 191 and west on I-70. I took these next two pics somewhere along the way.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_S-10ampEX_zps1e968351.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_s-10ampex2_zps943f3f1f.jpg

Then it was south on I-15 to my next stop, St George. Why St. George? I wanted to ride one of the most scenic places on the planet again.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_zion_zpsf63c8665.jpg

Again I can't believe I only took one pic
eek7.gif
I guess maybe I would have to go back sometime in the future and do something about that
hmmm.gif

For those of you who haven't figured out where I rode from the pic, it was Zion NP.

Then I had one more place I really wanted to ride. It had always been one of my favorite rides. That would be the Angeles Crest Highway. I got a motel in Palmdale and went riding the next morning. I rode from Palmdale to the Angeles Forest Highway to the Crest and spent some time riding it and hanging out at Newcombs Ranch. It was a great day but I was a little disappointed in what had happened to the area. I remembered it as being really wild with almost nothing on it and I'm pretty sure the speed limit had been 55. Now it was 45 and there where some National Forest parking areas that you had to pay to use
:(
It just wasn't quite the same.

Then I headed up to Monterrey where I would spend the next 6 weeks going to school and of course riding
ricky.gif
happay.gif
ricky.gif

There were times when being in the Navy was just a job and there were other times when it was more like the old recruiting slogan: "It's not just a job, it's an adventure". This was one of those times when it was an adventure and it was hard to believe I was getting paid to do this. During the week I went to classes during the day, then did some home work in the evening. I guess it was a little like work but most of the classes were pretty interesting. We studied things like aerodynamics, aircraft design, causes of aircraft mishaps, how to run an aviation safety program, mishap & hazard reporting and accident investigation. For the most part my weekends were free except one weekend where we had a big project to do.

I was there from mid September until the beginning of November and the weather was fantastic. It rained a couple of times but that happened during the week. All of the weekends had great riding weather and I took advantage of it.

There were a couple of really great and famous riding destinations near Monterrey and that is mostly where I rode. One of them was Highway One just south of Monterrey. I had ridden it before but it's such an awesome ride it was worth riding again. The other was Skyline Blvd and Alice's restaurant which I had never been to before. I think I did three day rides up there. Skyline Blvd/35 is a great curvy road that runs along the top of a mountain ridge. There are also some roads that cross it going mostly east-west which were also a blast to ride. I tried to get there early because it was a very popular destination and it's no fun riding twisty roads with a bunch of slow traffic on them. Of course I also spent some time hanging out at Alice's restaurant along with a bunch of other riders.

This pic was taken from the parking lot across the road from Alice's and you can see the restaurant behind and to the right of me.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_Alicesrest_zps5072fa82.jpg

No I didn't ride in Shorts & t-shirt. I just took off my Aerostich after I stopped.

And looking the other way.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ALICESREST2_zps0bd20136.jpg

It was a great area to ride at the time. I wonder if it still is or if it has become too crowded.

Of course I also took several rides on hwy 1. Endless curves and spectacular scenery. This road should be on every riders bucket list.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch6_zpse336d66a.jpg

The biggest issue with this road is that it gets way too crowded on weekends. I learned my lesson on my first ride there and after that I would get up real early, like before the sun came up to beat the crowds. I did take some pics on these rides.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch3_zps731a5ab9.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch2_zps26b9b92b.jpg

I think I stopped for this next pic because my odometer had just turned 60,000 miles.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch1_zps4ad36035.jpg

On one of these rides I went up a road off of Hwy One.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_N-FROAD_zps507cdd83.jpg

This was Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. It was a super twisty awesome road as it went over the coastal mountains. It remained a fun road as it went inland and through Ft hunter -Liggett Army base. There was no gate and anyone could ride it. I wonder if that's still the case. I ended up riding back towards Monterrey on Carmel Valley Rd, another fun ride.

I think I might have taken this pic on Carmel Valley Rd.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca3_zpsozcdlpnd.jpg

If you remember from much earlier in this report Debbi and I were stranded for a while in the tiny town of Gorda. I went past it but didn't recognize it. All of the buildings had probably been replaced. There was also a gas station on Hwy 1 that I don't think had been there back in the 80's. I do remember that the price of gas there was astronomical and I was glad I didn't need any.

Attachments

• wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch1_zps4ad36035.jpg
    wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch1_zps4ad36035.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 7
  • wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca3_zpsozcdlpnd.jpg
    wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca3_zpsozcdlpnd.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch2_zps26b9b92b.jpg
    wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch2_zps26b9b92b.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7
  • wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca7_zpspywqa7g0.jpg
    wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca7_zpspywqa7g0.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5
Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. is still open though it's a little rough. The pavement doesn't get refreshed too often. I was about halfway up N-F Road when I heard these miscreants having a good time:

Mike
It was rough and dirty back when I rode it in 97. I remember thinking that a dual sport bike would work better and be more fun on that road.

The second weekend in October was a holiday weekend so Debbi and Scott flew out to Monterrey to visit me and do some sight seeing. Of course we drove up Hwy 1.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch4_zps32e48fdc.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch8_zps84bc2043.jpg

At some point we decided to continue on all the way to San Luis Obispo and eat at our favorite restaurant, the Apple Farm. While on the way we saw this and stopped.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_pch7_zps7e2d4cf9.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca8_zps9nf0bwwq.jpg

After eating at the Apple Farm it was a real long and boring drive back to Monterrey in the dark.

On the last day they were in town we went out to eat at a restaurant right on Monterrey Bay. While walking along they bay we saw an airplane flying overhead it was a bit unusual looking and Debbi Asked me about it. It was a Long EZ which had a Canard instead of a normal tail. It looked like something like this:

ex.jpg

Why did I remember this after all this time?
The next morning when I went to class I learned that John Denver had crashed his Long EZ into Monterrey Bay the previous day. It is quite likely that we saw John Denver's plane unless there happened to be another one like it in the area at that time.

This was one school I was not glad to have finished. I would have loved to stay in Monterrey a few more weeks. But it was time to head home to the Great White North. Since I was already on the west coast I decided to pay a visit to San Diego. So after the last day of class I got in the truck and headed south. I think I made it into the LA area around midnight and of course got stuck in heavy stop and go traffic. I don't think I have ever gone through the LA area and not hit heavy traffic. My destination and home for the next few days was the Navy Lodge at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. This used to be a Naval Air Station and the Home of Top Gun.

I spent a few days riding my favorite roads and visiting old friends. The weather was great and I had a blast
ricky.gif
ricky.gif
ricky.gif
I spent one day riding with my old friend Phil.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_PhilS_zpscbbe0218.jpg

Phil was riding his BMW K100RS. It was one of the first K100s sold in the country and he had a lot of miles on it. I wouldn't be surprised if he still has it and has 400,000+ miles on it. Last time I saw him around 7-8 years ago he had around 300K on it. It may have been an old bike but Phil liked to ride fast. We did some high speed riding and during a stop I mentioned that for this kind of riding I would have liked a more powerful and more stable bike. Phil said he was thinking the same thing
icon10.gif
Running at triple digits was not the EX's strong point. However when we hit the tight twisties going up the South Grade of Palomar it was pure magic
rayof.gif

And a pic of me.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_socal_zps2eca4d41.jpg

Cow Beach? I'm thinking this was Lake Henshaw, just west of Palomar Mtn.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca1_zps0pnstnfa.jpg

A couple more pics somewhere in SoCal:

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca2_zpspqjelpj7.jpg

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ca5_zpskz8pxu6q.jpg

Too soon it was time to hit the road again. I thought my riding was over for this trip but......
My plan was to head east on I-10 and then north on I-25 to I-40. Looking at my map I saw what looked like and interesting shortcut from I-10 to I-25. So I picked up 90 to silver city and 152 east from there. 152 turned out to be a fantastic road that twisted and turned to the top of a mountain pass. At the pass there was a parking area/scenic view point. So I parked the truck, unloaded the EX and rode for a few hours
ricky.gif
wings.gif
ricky.gif
. Yeah, it was a fantastic couple of hours
rayof.gif

While riding I passed a Vespa out on 152. Of course I waved since he was a fellow rider. Later after I had finished riding and was back in the truck I came across this guy again on the side of the road. His Vespa had broken down and he was stuck here in the middle of nowhere. I offered him a ride and it turned out he lived in a town off of I-25 in the direction I was going. So we were talking and he mentioned that he lived part of the year in New Orleans. I mentioned this artist that Debbi and I really liked who did artwork using spray paint in front of the tourists in the French Quarter. So he said "that's Pedro, (or whatever his name was) I often set up next to him." Just another example of what a small world this is!
After that it was a boring drive home. I hit some nasty, rainy and cold weather in TN and it followed be most of the way to Maine. I was soooo glad to be in the truck and not on a bike.
Coming up, life in the "Great White North".

Maine. The Great White North. Long and bitter cold winters. You put your bike away in the fall and don't touch it until mid spring when things that out.

Well, maybe not. The fact was that since we lived near the coast winters were actually pretty mild. I never did put my bikes away. I rode every month that first winter in Maine. I can't say I saw many other motorcycles on the road but there I was, Florida Tags on my bikes, out riding in the winter. Then in March, before winter was officially over we saw a record high of 83 degrees. Even the locals were out riding for that.

This was the house we rented in the City of Bath ME.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_Bath_zps9beaaf91.jpg

Bath is a picturesque small city on the banks of the Kennebec river. It was only about 7 miles from Naval Air Station Brunswick Maine where I was stationed. It would turn out to be a really fantastic place to live and was near a lot of really scenic places and pretty cool riding. The Maine coastline is a series of peninsulas which was where I did much of my riding.

sendMap.asp.gif

One of the most scenic spots IMO was on the peninsula just south of Bath. There were some nice curvy roads which often ran along the water. At the end of the peninsula was a beach, a pretty little town and a couple of old forts. That little town, Phippsburg, was scenic enough that they filmed many of the scenes from the the movie "Message in a Bottle" there.

For me this was a great destination if I had an hour or two to go for a ride. I would end up taking a number of pics there. Here's a few.

Fort Popham.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_ftpopham_zpsa6e858b0.jpg

Looking North from the Fort Popham Parking area. There is another old fort hidden up on the hill on the upper left of the pic.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_gsinmaine_zps4a35dfd3.jpg

Same spot, different angle.

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_maine22_zpso4u0sqpp.jpg

We enjoyed living in Maine. The riding wasn't as good as my favorite riding areas in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Ga, NC and TN but overall Maine was a great place to live.

Some random stuff from life in Maine.

When we moved to Maine we had a Mazda MPV minivan. It was getting old and also it didn't drive very well in the snow. We decided to replace it with something that had front wheel drive. We ended up getting an Olds Intrigue. So the theme of this next pic is RED. Red car, red truck red house and even a red shirt. I should have pulled out the GS to complete the pic
icon10.gif

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_bath1_zpskxudsmdf.jpg

Popham beach was not far away. It was very scenic but it wasn't that great for actually swimming because the water was so cold.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_popham_20bch_zpskr0bxinh.jpg

You can see an island in this next pic. This was at high tide. At low tide you could walk to the island without getting your feet wet. At low tide there would be some pools of trapped water. This water would heat up from the sun and it was actually warm enough to get into.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_popham_20bch3_zpsjlslwirh.jpg

Debbi and Scott at the Portland Headlight.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_maine2_zps5u6kumdc.jpg

Another close and scenic ride was going down the peninsula to Land's End on Bailey's Island.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_lands_20end_zpsqki9w2tu.jpg

Maine was a good place to ride but for sport riding it didn't compare to my favorite rides farther south. Maine had the scenery but not roads that you could really ride hard on and I was into speed and hard cornering. So sometime late spring or early summer of 1998 I did a ride to my favorite riding area. On day one I rode my GS from Bath to My friend Bob's house in PA. The next day we rode down to Townsend TN where we met up with some other riders. After checking into Dock's Motel & Cabins we rode to Deal's Gap and back to the motel. Then the next day we rode a bunch of twisty roads down to Georgia. My Buddy Al and I checked into TWO while the other riders decided to get a Motel in Helen so they could watch some motorcycle race on TV. I was so burned out from all the riding that Al and I ended up hanging out at TWO for most of the day. I don't remember what the rest of the ride was like. I have done so many rides that most of them just blur together with a few details standing out. I took some pics but in many cases can't remember exactly when I took them.

Here's a couple I might have taken on that ride.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_DG2_zpsrh2mqi9l.jpg

That's my buddy Bob on the left and his Ducati 900ss.

"racing" on Deals Gap
lol8.gif

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_dg3_zps8a5hlx7q.jpg

I had a very interesting Deal's Gap memory that may have happened on this trip so I'll throw it in here.
My buddy Al and I had ridden from Deal's Gap to the overlook near the bottom of the road. We were hanging out there talking to a local who was riding a CBX. I vaguely remember that on the back of the guys helmet were the words "Bad Cop No Donut" I was thinking that wasn't the best thing to have if he got pulled over. Anyway, while we were talking we heard a bike come up the road and about the same time heard a siren in the distance. About 30 a minute or so later a sportbike came riding by. He wasn't going super fast. Maybe 30 seconds later a sheriff's car came screaming by lights flashing and siren on
eek7.gif

We wondered if the rider knew he was being chased
ne_nau.gif
Surely he would have been going faster if he knew he was being chased
headscratch.gif

So we hung out for a while then headed back up the road towards Deal's Gap. Back then the there was no Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort. At that time it was still the Crossroads of Time. The CBX rider went first followed by me and then Al. I was taking it easy because I figured there was a cop up ahead. Well there was. He was standing on the side of the road and waved over the CBX guy and then started yelling at him. I was thinking that maybe the "Bad Cop No Donut" thing might not be the best idea. The Deputy wasn't paying attention to me so I rode by wondering where his car was. Maybe there had been 2 deputies in it and it was somewhere up ahead. So I rode slowly Eventually I pulled over and Al and the CBX guy pulled up. I told them I was concerned about the possibility of another Deputy ahead and they told me there was no other deputy. The car had left 2 long skid marks before going off the side of the mountain. It was down the hill, facing back up towards the road, on it's side with the lights still flashing! I had been looking at the deputy and missed it.
So we rode to the Crossroads of time and told the people there what had just happened. Pete, the owner of the CROT got out his camera and gave it to one of the riders there and told him to go get a pic. He also brought out one of his "Put your bones on the line, ride 129" T shirts and asked if maybe the deputy might want it
yelrotflmao.gif
yelrotflmao.gif
yelrotflmao.gif

I told him I wouldn't want to be the one offering it to the deputy since he seemed to be pretty mad.
icon10.gif
I heard the Deputy stood there for quite a while stopping riders and yelling at them.
I ended up coming through there again a few days later and talked to Pete about that incident. I told him I wondered if the rider knew he was being chased. It turned out Pete knew the rider and got the scoop from him. The rider did know he was being chased and slowed down enough for the deputy to catch up just to bait him then sped back up. The deputies were actually under orders to not chase bikes but I guess he couldn't resist the urge. It turned out this deputy wrecked a 2 month old Crown Vic. I'm sure his boss was not happy with him.
The pic of that Crown Vic on it's side ended up on the bulletin board at the CROT store for some time.

It wasn't long before I needed another speed fix that the roads of Maine just couldn't give me. So in September I took some leave and headed south. This time I wimped out and decided to drive instead of riding down. So I loaded the EX into the back of the truck hit the road. I probably went to the HSTA Rally in Townsend. My memories of this ride are pretty vague. I do remember that Bob and I ended up riding together for a few days and went down to TWO. It was a blast riding my favorite roads with Bob who rode about the same pace as I did. Maybe this pic was taken during that ride. This was the hairpin on Wolfpen Gap Rd.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_180_zpspwfotajk.jpg

During this ride I started getting a rattling noise from the transmission of the EX
The bike ran just fine and everything worked fine but the noise worried me. The bike was getting old and had well nearly 66,000 miles on it. The weather and riding were perfect except for that problem.
This would end up being my last trip on the EX. It was a fantastic bike, one of the most fun bikes I have owned. Nearly everything on the bike was still original and I had run it hard. I had worn out so many tires that I spent more on tires than I paid for the bike. I had decided that once something major needed repair I would trade it for a new bike because keeping it would mean major $$ to replace everything that was worn out.

It was time to go bike shopping
happay.gif
I had been thinking about this for a while now because I knew the EX was wearing out. Although the engine ran strong it burned a lot of oil. Debbi was also considering a new bike. She liked her Virago but it caused her too much pain to ride it any distance. She had some carpal tunnel issues due to the heavy throttle return springs. Limited rear suspension and a seating position that caused the rider to slouch were also issues.

So we were both bike shopping. We test rode a few bikes including the new SV650 and BMWR650GS. I was thinking that getting his and hers SV650s might be nice but Debbi didn't really like that bike. I thought the F650GS would be perfect for her but she didn't like it either.

So..............

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_maine18_zpshspxqeup.jpg

and........

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_bikes_zpshblcfyvp.jpg

As the last couple of pics show, we got a Yamaha Seca II for Debbi and a Suzuki SV650 for me. Why did we pick those bikes?

We picked the Seca for Debbi because she liked it and fit on it well. We figured it would be a comfortable bike for Debbi and should also handle and perform a bit better than the Virago. We also set it up as a sport touring bike as seen in the next pic taken at Fort Pophan with Phippsburg in the background.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_maine5_zpsbgkcftxg.jpg

I didn't hurt that we got a good deal on it. The bike had been sitting in a corner gathering dust at the local Yamaha dealer. He took the Virago in trade.

As for the SV650. It would be a step up in performance over the EX500 while still being a small lightweight bike. Maybe that ride on Peter's naked CBR900RR helped put me in the mood for a naked sportbike. I also loved the V-twin motor. Actually getting the bike wasn't easy. The Suzuki dealer, Tri Sports near Portland, ME was a Suzuki, BMW and Triumph dealer. I was a regular there getting service and tires for the GS as well as riding gear. I had test rode the SV as well as F650GS there. It wasn't until February or March of 99 that I decided on the SV. Went I went there to see about buying on he said they had already sold their entire allotment
He said they were the only dealer in the state who ordered any. None of the other dealers thought it would sell. Most people don't start riding until April in Maine yet they had bought all four of the SV's that Tri Sports had ordered.

Luckily the salesman was able to find one in New Hampshire and it was one of the FAST red ones
wings.gif
Since I had been a good customer they didn't gouge me on the price on a bike that turned out to be a runaway sales success. He charged me full MSRP but no additional fees.
:-)

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_maine23_zps31odnyom.jpg

What about the EX500? I took it to a local small independent shop for trouble shooting. The tech told me it would most likely be an easy fix however the motor would have to be removed to get into the tranny so it wouldn't be inexpensive. I ended up selling it to him for $400 and he fixed it and then sold it. It turned out that a nut or bolt in the tranny had backed out resulting in one of the gears trying to engage when the bike was leaned in one direction.

One last pic of the bike that was, and probably always will be one of my favorite bikes. This was taken on 209 between Bath and Ft Popham as was the pic of the SV. It was most likely taken on one of my last rides on the bike. It was one of the best buys I have ever made but it was time to move on to something new.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_maine26_zpsfndpfrzi.jpg

The EX had 66,000 miles on it. I put all but 810 of those miles on it in the slightly under 10 years I had it. About 6,600 miles a year wasn't too shabby considering I always had two other bikes to ride.

With two new bikes it wasn't long before we took them on a trip. The HSTA annual national rally was scheduled for June of 98 in Marietta, Ohio. One thing that all HSTA rallies had in common was that they were always held in locations that had great riding. Some of you may be thinking Ohio? South eastern Ohio has some great riding. I had ridden through there a time or two and knew that there were some real roller coaster roads there. They are different from most mountain roads in that in addition to be very twisty they constantly go up and down like a roller coaster. They are lot of fun but very challenging.

Another thing being held in conjunction with the rally was one of Larry Grodsky's Stayin Safe Motorcycle Tours. Debbi had done one of these when we lived in Maryland. She learned a lot, gained confidence in her riding and had a great time. She decided to do this one to help her learn her new bike.

We had picked up a 5 x 8 utility trailer and put a hitch on the Intrigue which made this trip possible. We put the Seca and SV on the trailer and Debbi, Scott and I drove to Grove City, Pa and stopped to visit Debbi's aunt for a few hours. Then we unloaded the Seca and Debbi rode down to Pittsburg for the start of the riding course. I drove to my parents house near Cleveland. I left the car and trailer there and Scott would stay with them for a few days. Then I rode down to Marietta on the SV.

As a touring bike the SV was step backwards from the EX. It had a hard seat, no wind protection and a much shorter range. The EX had a 4.8 Gal tank and got 60 MPG. The SV had a slightly smaller tank and only got around 45 MPG. It was also harder to mount luggage on the SV. But the SV got me there. Once there I had a blast riding the SV on the roller coaster roads of Southeast Ohio and well as some of WV.

I don't remember a lot of details from the rally and only took a few pics.

Debbi on her Seca. We had gotten her an Aerostich Jacket.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_debbi_20and_20seca_zpsvnsfols2.jpg

Hanging out with a group of fellow riders. I think this was the parking for a lunch ride. Debbi is talking to Al and "Moose" who was the HSTA President at the time.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_marietta_20star2_zpswndnaew3.png

One ride went into WV and crossed the Ohio River on a ferry.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_marrieta_20star1_zpstuobosgy.png

Does it look like an Aerostich convention? That was typical for HSTA rallies at that time.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_star_20marrietta_zpshzz5xjpv.jpg

With my SV in front of a covered bridge in Ohio.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_Marietta_20HSTA1_zpsalf0difh.jpg

On the last night of the rally we always had a dinner and a guest speaker. In this case it was Dave Despain from Speed Vision. He was also one of our members and an avid rider. Recently I found this video about the rally made for Speed Vision. It's a little long but provides a good look at the HSTA and the Rally.

Back
Top Bottom