What's new

Tire balancing?

Possum

Member Number
Bought a new rabaconda tire changer (thanks Mvi moto!) and have rubber waiting to go on. What do y’all use to balance your tires? Might throw them on unbalanced for awhile just cause I can’t sit here and stare at everything so need to find something soon.

I use the bike's axle sitting across two jack stands. I actually welded up a balancing stand years ago but since I only need it a few times a year it's easier to use jack stands than to dig the balancing stand out from where it's buried under shit in the back of the shed.

Marc Parnes. Long time in use. Personally tested lots @ buck thirty VIR front. (While leaving room on the outside for the fast guys 😎)

I've been using a Harbor Freight balancer for years, but that's just because I didn't think of the jack stand method. One of my current bikes has a single side swing arm so I had to buy a Marc Parnes adapter to make it work. X6 for Marc?

Using the balance kit from NoMar. Working great. Reasonably priced.
Also have the SSS cone kit from NoMar.

We don't balance the knobbies. None of that stuff goes more than 60ish MPH.

I've got the HF stand & have used it for years for truing only so far. People bitch about the axle rod being bent, well yes it is but for every wheel I've had on it I've locked the tapered cones against the wheel bearings' inner races and spun the wheels on their own bearings.

I do it on the bike with drag points removed and a drop of wd on the seals. Spoke bikes get solder wrapped around the nipples. I believe the tw could benefit with its heavy rear tire on the front wheel style. The tw might need stick weights.

I use the bike's axle sitting across two jack stands. I actually welded up a balancing stand years ago but since I only need it a few times a year it's easier to use jack stands than to dig the balancing stand out from where it's buried under shit in the back of the shed.
Kinda the same here. Built a stand, but it's just as easy to toss the wheel back in the bike and balance the tire there. Before sitting the caliper back on, of course

I still use the stand for trueing, so I haven't tossed it yet 😁

As far as not balancing dirt bike tires....

Why not?

Running dual rim locks 180° across from each other is a decent cheat, but no point in something that heavy flopping about.

Truing Stand, I balance all my tires, dirt bikes included. I even take my stand to CO/NM to balance wheels for others while on trips.

Case in point, a buddy's Brand new Beta 390RRS took 7 weights on the front and 3 on the rear to balance out

1652730473658.png

Last edited:
Marc Parnes for me as well. Bought it back in the early 2000's and have used it ever since. More accurate then what the dealer did the one time I had to change a tire there. It is also easy to buy the needed wheel adapter if needed. I use a forklift as my stand, so there is that... :lol3

Last edited:
We are Rabaconda Dealers, and sell them/ship them in Europe too.

Here is the link to our Vendor Page....

I use the harbor freight, but it’s not fair because as a toolmaker, I completely retrued the rollers and made a new axle at the cone size. Works perfect, can see 1/8 oz.

Back
Top Bottom