What's new

Tire Changing Machine ...

Complete. total, unmitigated SUCCESS! It took a few tries but I think i have it figured out. My lessons learned:

1. Too much lube? No such thing.

2. Use the bead breaker to hold the tire down when installing the tire iron.

3. Put a small block of wood (thanks guys!) at the 1:00-2:00 o'clock position when starting the second bead.

4. Use the bead breaker again to help remove the duck head assembly after the second bead.

In fairness, the video is pretty good. That being said, he's doing a lot of little things you don't notice until you try it yourself.
You use a bead buddy at all? great tool to have.

You use a bead buddy at all? great tool to have.
Looks like it serves the same purpose as my block of wood, but the BB looks pretty trick. Does it work on tubeless rims? The video I saw had it hooked on the spokes.

Looks like it serves the same purpose as my block of wood, but the BB looks pretty trick. Does it work on tubeless rims? The video I saw had it hooked on the spokes.
yea that's the thing, I use it for spoked wheels on the DR. makes a big difference.

Pretty good day today. Not a snap, but not bad. I think the bottom line is this: If you've done a hundred tires on your hands and knees you can recognize when things are getting out of whack and fix them. If you've never changed a tire before and you simply buy a Rabaconda (or a NoMar for that matter) I think you're going to struggle significantly. You'll probably figure it out but it will be a PITA until you do.

I agree. Even with the fancy pneumatic one I have it took me quite a few tires to get the hang of using it.

HF MC tyre Changer, Never used one, but too old to fight on the floor anymore, And i do actually have a HF style Car tyre changer which works ISH, but i never Use i got bigger and better ones now. but if nothing more than to get bike wheel off the floor i might just buy one give it a try. A few vids good bad or indiferent with a few thoughts and ideas for your perusal.

HF MC tyre Changer, Never used one, but too old to fight on the floor anymore, And i do actually have a HF style Car tyre changer which works ISH, but i never Use i got bigger and better ones now. but if nothing more than to get bike wheel off the floor i might just buy one give it a try. A few vids good bad or indiferent with a few thoughts and ideas for your perusal.

I used one for about 15 years, before buying the powered one I have now.

I used one for about 15 years, before buying the powered one I have now.
I have Had the HF style (Car) ( Ubiquitous generic) for aroung 20 years, i got it to save going to my fathers to change tyres he had a old dyaphran air breaker machine and post and long bar, ( I Inherited and still have it) But recently i got a powered turn table duck arm / asist arm car machine and its disgustingly easy to change car tyres now.
I did a rear tyre Off the daughters DRZ400 About six weeks ago, did it knelt on a old leather sofa cussion and was warm weather, and what with my age and my post stroke condition i was a wet through with sweat struggling old man at the end of that session. and a few fights with 4x4 truck tyres earlier in the year it prompted the move to a more automated system, and the astronomical prices some tyre firms charge these days both for fitting and new tyre price mark up percentages, well that was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.
Its getting like this here in the UK, You practicaly need to be looking at in house doing of everything, the profesionals are hard up for money here, and ripping you off is fine in their remit your money will do.
No one minds a fair price but quite frankly its taking the piss and i for one am simply not acepting it, and might i add many i know feel exactly the same way of late.

Yeah, the going price to have a motorcycle tire changed around my area is about $50 per tire.

I mentioned it to the guy that runs the counter one day when I was having my bike inspected.

"If I bring you wheels off the bike you can swap two tires in 15 min and charge $100 labor for it, but your hourly rate is $100/hr. "

They also want $100 to charge the nitrogen reservoir on a shock. Not for a rebuild, just a refill. For not much more I just sat up my own nitrogen charging deal and do that in house also. Nitrogen is dirt cheap and the little bottle I have ($35 to fill) will probably last me a decade or more. I've been filling shocks for buddies for free. I've probably filled 50+ shocks over the past few years and according to the pressure gauge I can't see where the bottle is beginning to empty yet.

A lot of dealers (Moto or cage) are pricing themselves out of reach for regular people hence the independents making more money. I always have done my own work on boat, truck or motorcycle as I could afford or trust the shops I had around me... Trust is another can of worms around here as there are many scammers around. It sucks for the honest ones but that's what it is. The only time a dealer sees me is when it is a warranty issue. I am lucky that the BMW dealer is good and they do the once a year brake-bleed as the bike gets hooked up to the mothership for updates etc... YMMV

That's why I'm thinking a Derek Weaver machine for $2500 should last me a very long time. That's ~50 tire changes at today's rate. I figure every two years the price for tire changes is going to go up, so that ~50 number is going to go down.

Kind of like this. on the HF thing.

I am going down the above route with the HF style Generic i have here, buy ( Or possibly fabricate from scratch) the motorbike kit and modify as above.
attached some duck head advice might help your knowledge base and with your choice.

Last edited:
Thinking strongly of pulling the trigger on a Rabaconda Street or a No Mar. Would love to have an actual tire machines to do truck tires as well, but don't have the shop space for that.

Plenty of experience using actual tire machines, and way too much experience with spoons.

Anybody used both of these machines? Why reason to choose one over the other? Either one have a fatal flaw that got overlooked in their design?

I'm leaning towards Rabaconda because MVI sells them and they're smaller to store. Watching demo videos online, the No Mar guy seems to be struggling more than the Rabaconda guy, but that doesn't mean everything. It's hard to do anything right with a camera pointed at you.

The Rabaconda folds up into a bag that you can literally strap on the back of your bike. Pretty damn cool. I just did a 10-year-old Harley tire without a hitch. Came off easy. Went back on easy. Easy to work around the tube. Easy.

That being said, I have also spent a lot of time on my knees in the garage. That experience really helps. You just know what the process is supposed to look like.

I’ve owned a NoMar for 14 years and not a fan of the mount bar/tips. They are too big and it is hard to keep the left tip from walking out of the tire bead while mounting a really stiff tire. I often use tire irons to complete the mount. The square bar mount (three posts above) keeps the mount/dismount bar from rotating like my NoMar. Otherwise, my NoMar has saved me a lot of time and money……I would like to try a Rabaconda in person.

I’ve owned a NoMar for 14 years and not a fan of the mount bar/tips. They are too big and it is hard to keep the left tip from walking out of the tire bead while mounting a really stiff tire. I often use tire irons to complete the mount. The square bar mount (three posts above) keeps the mount/dismount bar from rotating like my NoMar. Otherwise, my NoMar has saved me a lot of time and money……I would like to try a Rabaconda in person.
I would like for you to try one too.

The Rabaconda folds up into a bag that you can literally strap on the back of your bike. Pretty damn cool. I just did a 10-year-old Harley tire without a hitch. Came off easy. Went back on easy. Easy to work around the tube. Easy.

That being said, I have also spent a lot of time on my knees in the garage. That experience really helps. You just know what the process is supposed to look like.
10 yr old Harley tire is a great testimonial 😁 They're like old co-op truck tires. Easy to work around the tube is good to hear also. Mainly interested in doing street bikes, but if I buy something I want it to work for my dirt bikes as well. Thanks for the info on that.

Is there anything on the Rabaconda you don't like?

That's helpful information for sure. Thank you.

Top Bottom Back Refresh