What's new

Tires for the PNW

Squamch

Member Number
Bike- 01 yz250f
Rider-mid 30s, reasonably athletic, fully willing to get in over my head for type 2 fun. If you don't know, type 2 fun is the kind of fun that isn't fun while you're having it, but is a lot of fun after you're not dead from having so much "fun".
Riding area and style- tight single track, extra hard rocks that hurt you, deep holes, filled with mud, water, and regret. 2nd gear usually, 3rd gear occasionally, stalled and panicking now and again.

Hopefully this paints a clear picture. Anyway, I need a new front tire. I just put a cheater 505 on the back, replacing a Michelin star-cross medium.
Any recommendations?

Bike- 01 yz250f
Rider-mid 30s, reasonably athletic, fully willing to get in over my head for type 2 fun. If you don't know, type 2 fun is the kind of fun that isn't fun while you're having it, but is a lot of fun after you're not dead from having so much "fun".
Riding area and style- tight single track, extra hard rocks that hurt you, deep holes, filled with mud, water, and regret. 2nd gear usually, 3rd gear occasionally, stalled and panicking now and again.

Hopefully this paints a clear picture. Anyway, I need a new front tire. I just put a cheater 505 on the back, replacing a Michelin star-cross medium.
Any recommendations?
StarCross 5 Hard: 90/100/21 (I call it the rock slayer), Shinko mx216 fatty Cheater gummy.

Try a VE33 Gekkota rear next time. It's awesome

Bridgestone M59 Front is my go to for gnarly rocky single track with mud. Like Bitingdog says above the IRC VE33S is a great tire just make sure the "S" for sticky is included. I run 4mm UHD tubes and 9 PSI front, 7 - 8 PSI rear.

Bridgestone M59 Front is my go to for gnarly rocky single track with mud. Like Bitingdog says above the IRC VE33S is a great tire just make sure the "S" for sticky is included. I run 4mm UHD tubes and 9 PSI front, 7 - 8 PSI rear.
Hard to fault the M59 front tire. It works everywhere. Very predictable. Good lifespan too. A true intermediate tire.

To get a tire that's better for a particular terrain, you'll be giving up something elsewhere.

I just fitted another Shinko mx216 fatty Cheater gummy. It's awesome on wet roots, logs, and slippery rocks. Fantastic for our "sloppy" season here: November - June. Much less impressive in the dry and loose. Last year I simply dealt with it, as the summer season was unusually hot, so I wasn't dirtbiking as much.

Summer is for dualsport!!

Nobody else cares about PNW tires here?

Anyone have a favorite super gummy rear? Mine is the IRC IX-09 Gekkota, followed by the Dunlop AT81ex, and Kenda Ibex.

For semi-gummy, favorite is the IRC VE33 Gekkota, barely edging out the Shinko 525 cheater, and the 505 cheater (meh)

Haven't tried the new IRC IX-09 Gekkota front tire yet, but looking forward to giving it a try. It's not a fatty, which I have become very comfortable with. Perhaps it will be a bit sharper turning in small, loose rocks?

What's everyone else loving right now?

I live in the south east and I only have experience with one gummy, Motoz Hybrid Extreme.
I used it with Tubliss and ran it as low as
5 psi.
It worked great on wet muddy rocks here in Kentucky and also in Colorado in the Alpine sections.
It's also decent on pavement and it's DOT approved.

I ordered a rear V33 sticky to try. Hope it will be a good all rounder with a carcass that’s not squirmy like some gummies. At least that’s how it’s advertised. And recommend buy the Hound that bites

I ordered a rear V33 sticky to try. Hope it will be a good all rounder with a carcass that’s not squirmy like some gummies. At least that’s how it’s advertised. And recommend buy the Hound that bites
Not squirmy, not too gummy. Very large range of competency. Works on the slippery roots, rocks, and bridges of McNutt, yet also works in the ash-like soil of Kamloops and Vernon

We both ride in similar rooty, rocky, damp, and mucky PNW terrain. When you're banging off endless roots, the Aer forks are sweet, while the Xplor forks jar your wrists. Plus the air forks stay up in the stroke better when using some front brake on steep descents.

If you are plonking, an inexpensive midvalve kit makes the Aer forks feel super plush even in super slow gnar double blacks

Tires really matter what your set up is and what you’re riding. Like the VE33S is amazing with Tubliss but terrible with a mousse. Most tires have pros and cons.

Front
M59 is good everywhere. I usually use a shinko 216mx fatty cheater front but it gets scary when your mousse wears out.

We both ride in similar rooty, rocky, damp, and mucky PNW terrain. When you're banging off endless roots, the Aer forks are sweet, while the Xplor forks jar your wrists. Plus the air forks stay up in the stroke better when using some front brake on steep descents.

If you are plonking, an inexpensive midvalve kit makes the Aer forks feel super plush even in super slow gnar double blacks

Hmmm...I hadn't considered that at all...all my reading had said the TX was basically a go fast bike (which I'm bad at, even my fast is slow), that the TE was better suited to slower trails and riding, and the forks cost a bazillion bucks to have maintained. Plus the lack of headlight, fan, etc..

Are those issues exagerrated? Or even plain old inaccurate?

Hmmm...I hadn't considered that at all...all my reading had said the TX was basically a go fast bike (which I'm bad at, even my fast is slow), that the TE was better suited to slower trails and riding, and the forks cost a bazillion bucks to have maintained. Plus the lack of headlight, fan, etc..

Are those issues exagerrated? Or even plain old inaccurate?
Headlight is $60 on eBay, fan less than $200.
The TX is firmer overall, but plusher when going slowly. The TE forks just feel shitty whether you're fast or slow

Back
Top Bottom