What's new

Toll transponders, which type & how youve creatively mounted yours.

Alan F.

Member Number
Almost 15 years ago I was on the phone with tech support for EZpass and they recommended that I use the model that mounts above car license plates
transponder-exterior-front-bumper.png

Because it put out the strongest signal and best of all it was weatherproof. I used to zip-tie it to my handlebars and it worked fine. I still have it somewhere but I'm reluctant to bolt such a big, ugly piece of plastic to my current bike.

Transponders have gotten pretty tiny. This is the standard type now, an inch and a quarter thick and about the size of a business card:
Nd9GcTD3LA6vO6pXoEG2oflGJN48NAVIgG48jJ4-g&usqp=CAU.jpg

They're probably easy to stick to the inside of any windshield with the Velcro tape pieces they come with, but I haven't put a windshield on yet, not sure if I will.

How'd you do yours?

I keep mine in my chest pocket of my riding coat.. It works just fine. I use it rarely so was a bit panicked when I rode the mass pike and didn't see the debit on my account later that day..
It showed up a day or so later. Transponder is easily 8 years old
I worry about it getting stolen off the bike. Plus I have a few bikes and cars, but only one transponder

Yeah I was thinking about theft deterency too, but if people are gonna mess with stuff there's no stopping them.

My RE Interceptor has the bolt-on scrambler style crossbar, they make crossbar pads for these, maybe I could hide that big transponder in one of those?

Or I could get one of those tiny transponders and mount it on the top frame of my Garmin screen, it'll offer a little shade and stow in my tank bag when I'm off the bike.

I keep mine in my chest pocket of my riding coat.. It works just fine. I use it rarely so was a bit panicked when I rode the mass pike and didn't see the debit on my account later that day..
It showed up a day or so later. Transponder is easily 8 years old
I worry about it getting stolen off the bike. Plus I have a few bikes and cars, but only one transponder
I've had mine there since I got the bike. Even parked daily in DC it was never touched.

I creatively leave the transponder in my tank bag where it has functioned fine for the last 5 years. Ever since I sold my cage I haven’t needed it anywhere else.. 😁

For my trailers and bikes I leave the Toll Tag in my desk drawer back in the office, AS this was the recommendation from a NTTA Employee when I called thier help line !

So if you live in an area without the Traffic Gates on the roads, and they only have RFID readers while moving, the cameras capture the LIC PLATE of the bike or the trailer, then NTTA or whomever, cross references that to your account and you only get charged the lower rate.

NTTA told me that is how they do it , and they assume the tag is damaged or cant be read, but as long as you LIC PLATE is tied to your acct, you are good to go.

YMMV

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh