What's new

Took the Harley out for its first little ride. First impressions.

woods

Yawp.
Mod
ADV+
Member Number
Just for two hours. Been at my folk's for a month since my driveway is still snow and ice.

Got a text from Ma yesterday at work while they were watching my kiddo,

Good day for a ride after work. Enjoy.

So I went out for the first time of the year.

I've always been into the adventure bikes- the DR650 is my main ride. I've got a GSX650F as well that is nice for quicker paced stuff. This is my first Harley, a 2010 FXDF Fat Bob with short pipes, intake, and a tuner. Thing's a ripper. I'm relatively new to the cruiser scene so I'm still feeling things out.

Overall, its a neat bike but very road specific. The bike is absolutely miserable under 3k rpm. She likes to eat. That being said, you're in first gear until 40mph. So all riding under 35 is terrible. That's definitely a 55mph+ road bike. Took the turns surprisingly well though. Its got a Mustang seat with just killed my ass. I can't speak for anyone else, but for the past two hours my ass has taken a pounding. I have the stock seat for it which I'm going to throw back on and see how it does.

Rides like a tank too. Our roads here in the northeast are destroyed by frost heaves. That bike can't take any bumps. Getting on the throttle is addictive. It pulls hard.

Was hoping to dub around some small town areas on it. Take some backroads with it. But that's not going to happen. That bike is going to be reserved for use on main roads on Tuesdays when people are at work and I have taken the day off.

Neat bike though.

gdfgdsfgdsf.jpg

Not sure it'll stick around. Worst case I ride it for a year or two, sell it, and grab a big bore adventure bike.

You will solve half of your problems by replacing that piece of shit exhaust with something decent, or find a stock take-off on ebay. It shouldn't be running like shit under 3K -- for god's sake the thing redlines at 5.5 and you're telling me you can't use more than the bottom half of the rev range? That's shit fueling from that stupid exhaust.

I've always liked the look of the Dyna FatBob. Could be a really nice ride if you correct all the shit the PO fucked up.

You will solve half of your problems by replacing that piece of shit exhaust with something decent, or find a stock take-off on ebay. It shouldn't be running like shit under 3K -- for god's sake the thing redlines at 5.5 and you're telling me you can't use more than the bottom half of the rev range? That's shit fueling from that stupid exhaust.

I've always liked the look of the Dyna FatBob. Could be a really nice ride if you correct all the shit the PO fucked up.
I have the stock exhaust. Its also got a tuner so I'd think (?) it'd be tuned for the setup. Its a FuelPak so I can tune it myself.

I'm not saying you need stock pipes, but the pipes you've got now are definitely the reason the bike runs like you explain. Even if the fuel tuner is appropriately tuning the fuel to the exhaust system it doesn't mean that the engine is running like it should.

Cool bike. Not trying to rag on it, but that thing should be super torquey and very fun to zip around on, not something that you have to wait for rpms to build up.

Give it a shot sometime and see how you like it. Or maybe just a simple baffle in what you've got now will give it back the bottom end torque it should have plenty of.

I'm not saying you need stock pipes, but the pipes you've got now are definitely the reason the bike runs like you explain. Even if the fuel tuner is appropriately tuning the fuel to the exhaust system it doesn't mean that the engine is running like it should.

Cool bike. Not trying to rag on it, but that thing should be super torquey and very fun to zip around on, not something that you have to wait for rpms to build up.

Give it a shot sometime and see how you like it. Or maybe just a simple baffle in what you've got now will give it back the bottom end torque it should have plenty of.
Its not that it runs like crap, but I'm in 1st gear until 40. So at like 30 I feel like I'm just lugging it.

My FZ09 was sort of the same. Wasn't really a low speed bike.

I gotcha.

Man, my FZ 09 at 40 in 2nd gear will snap the front tire straight to the sky. You must seriously be spoiled to low end torque to have these bikes feeling revvy to you.

Was your last bike a Cummins? 😁

I gotcha.

Man, my FZ 09 at 40 in 2nd gear will snap the front tire straight to the sky. You must seriously be spoiled to low end torque to have these bikes feeling revvy to you.

Was your last bike a Cummins? 😁
My main bike is a 40hp DR650. So I'm used to riding a tractor.

The Harley doesn't feel revvy, I just have to get on it to get it where its comfortable. Dubbing around small town at 25-35mph and she just wants more throttle. It almost feel like it be more comfortable at lower gearing. Kind of like going from a 16T on my DR to a 14T.

I can’t ride while folded up like a hard shell taco.
Glad you like it

I've had 9 Harleys over the years; my experience is that they are most comfortable being short-shifted. They make a bunch of torque, so 30 mph in 3rd gear isn't lugging it... if you need to move out, drop a gear and give it some throttle. First gear to 40 mph is revving it way higher than needed. As others have noted, that aftermarket exhaust is likely a big part of any problems with it. I'd be going back to the stock exhaust to get a starting point for performance. HDs are a different riding style, especially compared to your DR650... let the engine loaf around town, crank it out more on the highway.

Enjoy the variety.

I've had 9 Harleys over the years; my experience is that they are most comfortable being short-shifted. They make a bunch of torque, so 30 mph in 3rd gear isn't lugging it... if you need to move out, drop a gear and give it some throttle. First gear to 40 mph is revving it way higher than needed. As others have noted, that aftermarket exhaust is likely a big part of any problems with it. I'd be going back to the stock exhaust to get a starting point for performance. HDs are a different riding style, especially compared to your DR650... let the engine loaf around town, crank it out more on the highway.

Enjoy the variety.
yea, still getting a feeling for it. I have...oh, maybe about 120 miles on it. But all in short 20 mile bursts. Next 65º+ day I'll take off and do a full day on it.

Stock exhaust went back on. Its so much better, but I wouldn't mind something a little bit more angrier. Those Side Shots were just too much. I'll keep the stock ones on there for this year though.

I'm also going to bring it to the dealer. See if they can pull the VIN on any work that has been done. Its got a FuelPak FP1 tuner on it, but not idea what has been done otherwise. I pulled the numbers off it and they're waaaaay different than what is setup for a stock bike.

I have an 06 Dyna. What everyone says about the exhaust is correct. My bike runs significantly better with some restriction in the pipes. Proper low end torque, with 6th gear becoming usable at normal highway speeds. If you want your cake and eat it too.... A two into one pipe (Super-Trapp) is a good option for broad power.

Also, easily the best money I spent on this bike were some 13" air shocks from a touring modal Harley. You can find new take-offs on E-bay. Soaks up the bumps great for a minimal investment.

Yeah, that bike should be all about low end torque. Besides the exhaust, is there an aftermarket cam and tune also? Some people like to put higher rpm cams in them, I prefer even torquier cams myself, especially since I do a lot of two up and traveling on mine.
Congrats and enjoy!

kjfjfg.jpg

There isn't a word known to man to describe how fucking mad I am right now.

1st gear to 40mph? Sounds like the previous owner has changed the sprockets.

Weak below 3k rpm? Makes me wonder if the camshafts have been replaced.

1st gear to 40mph? Sounds like the previous owner has changed the sprockets.

Weak below 3k rpm? Makes me wonder if the camshafts have been replaced.
Did 300 miles with it today, and since swapping exhausts it runs so much better. Those Side Shots weren't tuned right. Motor was all raspy at low rpms. Backfired. Didn't feel right. Stock exhaust now with a proper tune and it runs fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom