What's new

Tool Kits - Bare Minimum or Maxi Kit

Older photo of the tool roll I keep in my tank bag. One thing I need to get in there is a tubeless tire repair kit.

Attachments

• toolkit-1.jpg
    toolkit-1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 6
  • toolkit-2.jpg
    toolkit-2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: MVI
Along with the patch/plug stuff, a battery powered air compressor is a big help for a flat- used mine on the side of 95 up in Maine to make the bike so it would at least roll easily up onto the flatbed.

I carry approx. 35 pounds of tools plus a 12V compressor. However, after a couple breakdowns, I have learned the decreasing value of brick and mortar motorcycle shops; they carry almost no parts. So now I find myself questioning why I even bother carrying the tools.

Here is a tip for those who do their own work. Keep a good set of allen keys/hex wrenches (Snap-On or better). In cases where you have a hard steel allen bolt that is very tight, you will chew up lesser quality tools like candy.

I carry approx. 35 pounds of tools plus a 12V compressor. However, after a couple breakdowns, I have learned the decreasing value of brick and mortar motorcycle shops; they carry almost no parts. So now I find myself questioning why I even bother carrying the tools.
That's the conclusion I came to. I only carry tools to do the things I'm likely to be able to do on the road or trail. I carry stuff to plug a tire and adjust a chain. Beyond that I know I'm going to be retrieving the bike with a trailer.

Here is a tip for those who do their own work. Keep a good set of allen keys/hex wrenches (Snap-On or better). In cases where you have a hard steel allen bolt that is very tight, you will chew up lesser quality tools like candy.

I learned that lesson years ago when I was traveling a lot for work. I had the brilliant idea that I would carry cheap tools when working in Mexico so I wouldn't care so much if they were stolen. I was wrong. Harbor Freight allen wrenches are made of something slightly softer than room temperature butter. Bondus, Wiha, etc, don't round out.

Along with the patch/plug stuff, a battery powered air compressor is a big help for a flat- used mine on the side of 95 up in Maine to make the bike so it would at least roll easily up onto the flatbed.
Yes, my kit would also need some sort of inflation device. Wondering how many CO2 cartridges would it take to inflate a MC such that it could be ridden on? Any ideas? :D

I suppose they work IF you find and plug the hole. Some messy hard to find or difficult to plug holes might use up all the co2. The little.electric inflators are slow loud junky and cheap, but they do eventually get air into the tire.

The big advantage of C02 is speed. I use 1 or 2 C02 cartridges to get the tire almost full in seconds then finish with a compressor if I'm out of C02. A mini C02 inflator head and 1 or 2 cartridges takes up almost no space or weight. I was in a situation years ago where 2 C02 cartridges weren't enough to fill a plugged street tire so we were happy to have a compressor along.

I carry a bicycle tire pump. Works great if you have tubed tires. Not so great for seating the bead on a tubeless tire though. I frequently use it on dual sport rides to adjust tire pressure between dirt pressure (14-15 PSI) and street pressure (18-20 PSI) on our little KLX's.

Top Bottom Back Refresh