What's new

Tool Kits - Bare Minimum or Maxi Kit

For the money, Lobtex made in Japan adjustable wrenches are hard to beat. They aren't Ti light. But they have less slop than anything I can find locally and are good a bit lighter than most. The only issue is they don't close all the way. which I don't care about.

When I finally admit I'm too hurt to keep riding and sell the bike, the Lobtex adjustable wrench will get replaced with my shitty made in China Stanley and the Knipex gear pliers replaced with my equally shitty Made in China Vice Grips. The Lobtex and Knipex are going in my rollaway.

Best crescent wrench I've used is the made in USA Wright... maybe kind of $$ for a plain old design but it sure works well and is nicely made. OTOH I love some Knipex cutters- I have a cute mini-boltcutter made by them and it is the business for small stuff.

lol, a museum I volunteered at a while back was given a p.o.s. import crescent with inch marks on one side of the jaw and metric on the other, so we all had a good time with the metric crescent wrench :rofl

1658528720319.png

Add water and they become hand towels. Pretty handy on the road.

Hey JVB, got a link to those towels or some other way to find them? Those must be the cat's a$$.

Why would you dare use a crescent wrench on your bike? Just an excuse for rounding off nuts and bolts.

Thumb operated nutfucker. Won't use one on anything smaller than 1" !!

Wow. Never seen or heard of those. Ordered some for my moto kit, my toiletry kit, the glove box. Pretty slick.

Why would you dare use a crescent wrench on your bike? Just an excuse for rounding off nuts and bolts.
If I'm broke down on the side of the road I'll use anything I have or can find. Rock, stick ,crescent wrench ,vise grip ,multitool ,hammer ,scerw driver, and use these in any and all combinations to get going again. I'll worry about replacing any nuts, bolts, and what ever else I destroyed when I get off the side of the road.

This is what I carry on a "trip", plus 3M electrical tape, piece of 16ga wire ,and tie wraps. I have a multitool on each bike and of course the stock tool kit. Riding "local", 200 miles or less from home, just tape, wire, and tie wraps.
tools.jpg

I have for a great many years now contemplated :lol2 carefully selecting and fabricating a minimal tool kit and sump guard area mounted tool box to fit my xt600e.
Idea was to Cut and fabricate spaners of appropriate sizes for the bikes nut/ bolt size invantory that could double as tyre leavers or even some incorporating screw drivers . But as i admit is quite often the case with my contemplation's, they remain just that. Contemplation's. :lol2

If I'm broke down on the side of the road I'll use anything I have or can find. Rock, stick ,crescent wrench ,vise grip ,multitool ,hammer ,scerw driver, and use these in any and all combinations to get going again. I'll worry about replacing any nuts, bolts, and what ever else I destroyed when I get off the side of the road.
I think the technical term is POR; Press On Regardless. Whatever it takes. :thumb

I try to carry enough tools to tighten bits and pieces , I don't plan on doing any major repairs on the side of the road or in a motel parking lot.

I used the above mentioned tool kit a few times and ran out of glue, so I bought this for my car:
1658602700909.png

Amazon product ASIN B07MR5FX8M
I hope I do not need to use it anytime soon. I just put new tires on the car.
The one above looks like a solid option. But for cars (and off road stuff), i have never seen a better plug kit than a stop and go kit. Easy to use, seals well, mushroom head plugs don't blow out and don't need glue.....

they even make a portable micro kit for dirt bike and offroad use.
Screenshot_20220809-093727_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I've used the Stop and Go a few times. It doesn't respond well to flexing and steel belted tires. The belts cut the stem of the plug and the plug fails. I much prefer string plugs and have used them with great results in both cars and bikes.

Top Bottom Back Refresh