What's new

Tool Time

That drill reminded me of my dad's AEG, as it has the same color and shape.
As an aside, AEG is also the manufacturer of the Home Depot Ridgid cordless and corded tools...

I guess that this is considered a tool. I've been wanting an ultrasound cleaner for while now and have carbs waiting in line to be dunked. That's a pair of bings to my airhead that are going swimming first.

I've read that people have success using Simple Green and I like the idea of something non-toxic. Is there a better alternative?

1673710248154.png

1673710273901.png

The Milwaukee grease gun is great and I appreciate the feedback. Here is my "lubrication station".

:lol3
1650720653256.png

Awesome! I might have to copy that idea! I'm sick of grease dripping all over the garage floor. Owning a tractor necessitates frequent use of a grease gun...:lol3

I've used purple HD Simple Green on firearm parts to good effect. If your tank doesn't add heat, warming up the fluid before cleaning can help.

You can save on cleaning fluid costs by filling the ultrasonic tank with water, and putting parts + cleaning solution in plastic jars. The ultrasonic waves pass through the jar, and you don't have to contaminate an entire tank of fluid.
Good suggestion on the jars, thanks.

Regarding heating, I don't have very high expectations for the little 200w heater in the unit so I found an old stock pot that my wife doesn't use any more and I plan to heat and store the solution in that.

Last edited:
I used a heated parts washer at the old job. Temp control is everything. There is a magic temp where corrosion isnt as bad. A temp switch would help alot or dont walk away. I could write for days on that setup. Ha I also fixed, maintained and modded that machine. My coworkers just abused it. I swore I would not fix it a few times.

Heat and dawn..then mmo or wd40. The ultasonics.. I have no experience with but a good air compressor with some water in the air lines will dang near vapor blast anything without a cabinet. Unfortunately I lived in an atomized mineral spirits cloud for over a decade. The skin ulcers took a few years to get rid of. We had shop fights that I blamed on the atomized solvents. Be careful! ...And brake kleen is a joke . It lifts the oils out of the metal pores but does not disperse the oil. Guaranteed glazing. Dawn disperses the oil.

Last edited:
Just bought this pack. Pretty nice quality, but my wallet lies bleeding in intensive care. The aim was to sell some of my old tools to compensate a bit. We'll see how that goes.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 18.19.04.png

Just bought this pack. Pretty nice quality, but my wallet lies bleeding in intensive care. The aim was to sell some of my old tools to compensate a bit. We'll see how that goes.

We used dewalt exclusively at the shop. I backed the bits more than anyone. Torx or square drive.. dewalt were the best. This was in the salt belt.

I use the green stuff; not as complete a set but its pretty good for lighter duty work. I <love> the power crown stapler though, its fantastic for tacking stuff together. The narrow staples hold well enough for trim and small structural elements. The impact drivers are great for driving screws and lighter torque bolts. I have a 1/2" pneumatic gun for the larger stuff.

Ive been adding 20V stuff for about a year.

I bought several of these to keep the older 18v stuffs working with the new 20V Batteries

1676408716830.png

I want to make a grease gun holder like that, but it’s to expensive.
Not the holder or the gun you understand. I can afford those.
It’s finding and buying something with Zerk fittings that would put me over budget.
You can add grease fittings to all kinds of stuff. You’re just a drill bit, tap, and zirc away!

I remember buying a Compresion tester off the snap on van in 1979, it was well made i had it years used it a lot, and think it got stolen when we got a garage break in in the late 90s. i have missed it numerous times, and put off buying another, but other day i needed a gauge , nobody i knew had one i could borrow so i ended up borrowing one from a chap i did not know via a friend. i used it thanked the guy. But Knew i had to get one of my own.
Mentioned it to the wife, and next thing i knew she announces she has just ordered one from eBay.
Well i sounded appreciative, but serriously doubted the £11 delivered free price would net us anything that worthwile.
It landed this morning. and for £11 i am quite impressed ok its a cheap tacky china tool, but its fine in use and i am more than content to keep using it.
Time will decide if its as good as it seems to be.
Here £11 if you need one i think its worth a try.
s-l300.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh