What's new

Tools, tricks, ideas, hacks, etc.

MacG

Member Number
Here’s a place to post ideas for tools, mods, etc. that help with the bikes, or gear.
Something I’ve carried on the bikes for many years is a modified adjustable wrench. The opposite end doesn’t do a whole lot so I welded up the hole, heated it, bent it, then grinded it to the shape of a tire tool. Can be used also be used as a pry bar. 10” seems to be a good size for this.
A7D52A86-1588-4211-BCBF-EA16748C9C1E.jpeg
D35C4BC9-CBAF-4B8F-B423-D98ECD349C33.jpeg

Here’s a place to post ideas for tools, mods, etc. that help with the bikes, or gear.
Something I’ve carried on the bikes for many years is a modified adjustable wrench. The opposite end doesn’t do a whole lot so I welded up the hole, heated it, bent it, then grinded it to the shape of a tire tool. Can be used also be used as a pry bar. 10” seems to be a good size for this.
A7D52A86-1588-4211-BCBF-EA16748C9C1E.jpeg
D35C4BC9-CBAF-4B8F-B423-D98ECD349C33.jpeg
Great idea!!!

Cleaning dog hair out of vehicle upholstery and carpet....I used to spend hours with a shop vac trying to get it all.

Solution: put on a pair of nitrile gloves (the ones with the gripper knobs), and you can magically wipe it out in seconds!!!

Just rub your gloved and over the carpet/upholstery in a circular motion and it pulls all of the woven in hair out in seconds. :gdog

40 some years ago, a mechanic in a foreign car shop where I was working showed me a trick for keeping your hands clean from grease /dirt..........

Before you start your work, wash your hands with regular bar soap. Instead of rinsing your hands, work the soap lather into your hands until they are dry.
The soap makes a protective layer, especially around your fingernails. When work is done, wash your hands again and the grease and dirt magically disappear.
Sort of a poor man's version of that "glove" cream they sell. Really works a treat (if I remember to do it !!!)

I often need to clean up rusty panels and parts, and being bone idle i dont like working too hard or getting too dirty if i can at all avoid it.
I learned the trick of using molasses as a kid of 11 trying to clean the rust out of a heavily oxodised BSA M20 fuel tank. My father had told me to throw in a few dozen nails and nuts bolts and shake the tank, this was working and the tank had that orange dust present but the tank was pitted and very crusty.
My Dad had a look and he showed me the molases and tap water method. 9 parts tap water to 1 part equestrian molases. In the tank and just left it for 4 days, emptied the orange gluck out and washed in the tank with boiling water then leave air dry and repeat. after this second clean the ttank was washed out again and the result was nothing short of amassing.
It was now clean shining metal in the tank, and a quick swill out with diesel and job done.
I have cleaned up old car fenders engine mounts suspension parts leaf springs and many other rusty parts to good effect.
I have even used this method to remove the blue on an old remington 1100 magnum barrel that was bright and badly warn blue. , Soaked in molases/ water mix, and took to the smith for blacking/ No wire wool no work, just a bright clean barrel with zero abrasives or dust or dangerous chemicals, just safe and relatively effort free cleaning.

Here is a vid shows this process in action.

Back
Top Bottom