MVI

MVI MOTO
Mod
Vendor
ADV+
Member Number
What Rig is your weapon of choice for towing

ScreenHunter_1902 Dec. 05 20.13.jpg

The nice thing about a 150 pound/68 kilo bike is that a car can easily tow, and with enough double checking and motivation can be put on a hitch carrier. The VW GTI here, at least in Europe, can tow a few thousand pounds and a tongue weight of over 200lbs is easily doable. My new bike, then my old bike.
IMG_8008.jpg
IMG_7585.jpg

My wife and I did a camping trip that included a big chunk of the Blue Ridge Hwy in April 2019, slept a couple nights in the van and had everything with us including my 450, all in a rented Ford Transit van (the tall one you can stand up in). I went in advance to the rental place and measured the interior bulkhead width of the van and built a wheel chock for tying the bike down, then arranged all our gear. At night we shuffled stuff around a bit, hung some cheap HF moving blankets over the van walls for a little insulation and inflated the bed.
EfWwTXm.jpg

9JxtQr9.jpg

8acTG00.jpg

JxaO0ID.jpg

Carrying along the kitchen sink every where I go just isn't my thing. At the moment, I'm in a minimalist phase regarding towing rigs but it is working for now although I am actively looking for a vintage 60's pickup truck that could also do some light hauling.

1645550385544.png

The nice thing about a 150 pound/68 kilo bike is that a car can easily tow, and with enough double checking and motivation can be put on a hitch carrier. The VW GTI here, at least in Europe, can tow a few thousand pounds and a tongue weight of over 200lbs is easily doable. My new bike, then my old bike.
IMG_8008.jpg
IMG_7585.jpg
I like the soccer ball... that's a good idea!

I like the soccer ball... that's a good idea!

Thank you! A lot of the trials guys are now adopting this method whenever the bike front end is strapped down. Transporting it without the ball has been done for years, so people who have never had any problems have commented that it is unnecessary but I like it. The best size is a #3 kids ball. I just happened to have a #4 kids ball, so I deflated it and it works perfectly. Just keeps everything nice and snug, not much bouncing but not so tight that I crack the front fender or anything.

Back
Top Bottom