What's new

Tow Rigs

Whoa, that's special. any idea on the HP / TQ numbers
550hp/550tq at the flywheel according to Magnuson. Pulls pretty good. $9000 bucks installed. Not cheap. First 0-60 pull was quick
85B82501-A340-43BB-BBE1-47EEFA059A53.jpeg
85B82501-A340-43BB-BBE1-47EEFA059A53.jpeg

4BCB1E79-ED6A-46A6-994F-35C4E94FAD13.jpeg

Just picked up this beast yesterday. It’s going to be more than just my bike hauler; we’re selling our house and moving into this full time next month. Now I can travel but never leave home.

I have Deuce Bigelow in mind every time I look at the trailer. “Damn, that’s a big bitch!”

Just picked up this beast yesterday. It’s going to be more than just my bike hauler; we’re selling our house and moving into this full time next month. Now I can travel but never leave home.

I have Deuce Bigelow in mind every time I look at the trailer. “Damn, that’s a big bitch!”

F450?

Not yet, but soon, hopefully.

The previous rig was a F250 King Ranch pulling a 14,000 lb 5th wheel.
C3B6D8BE-D621-4414-8193-9684CA853D05.jpeg

We got those a couple years ago, our first RV. We loved the experience so much, and with our youngest moving away this summer, we decided to go full time. But my wife wanted a bigger better camper rated for full time living. I told her I’d get her the bigger RV if I could find an F350 or F450 dually I could get for an even trade. This F350 came up locally. Same year model and about the same mileage as was on my F250, but not as nicely equipped, as it’s an XL. It pulls the new trailer fine down the freeway but feels a bit floaty on undulating bumpy FM roads. I’m hoping that when bikes, water, and fuel are loaded up, all that weight being added behind the trailer’s wheels, that it will be better balanced and take some weight off the hitch. The published pin weight fully loaded is supposed to be within the limits of the truck, but empty it seems a bit rough. After selling my house, I plan to upgrade the truck. I’ll be looking into an F450.

The 450/550 are nice trucks. And are completely a different truck than 250/350. Ha that is a big triaxle 5th wheel. I actually up axled many campers and even tri axle. Or ride height with up axle. Slide outs always lengthened the leaf springs and dog tracked. Bed contact and cab were always issues too. We had 3 mega dealers to keep us busy with their situations. Plus our small shop crap..

Was out looking at Ram 4500 and 5500 and went down a rabbit hole. I know I want industrial axles and was wondering the differences...

ram uses Same axles
1678922018529.png

on F-450 and F-550 chassis cab trucks, the Dana 60 front axle was replaced with a Dana Super 60 in 2005; 2008-2010 and 2015-2018 F-450 pickups used Dana S 110 rear axles,[UWSL]while 2011-2014 F-450 pickups used Dana 80 axles[/UWSL]

[UWSL]decisions, decisions,,[/UWSL]

Last edited:
I'm more interested in a F550, Ram 5500, or kodiak flatbed for an overland build, plus the bike on the end.

That can tow a shit load of wt.

Last edited:

That’s awesome! I admire the bold leap. :thumb

See? You're already putting it together. Once you get the transfer case, and modify the transmission, and whatever driveshaftage required, and sort out the controls, you'll have a sweet all-terrain party bus.

sounds efforty

I didn't even mention the possibility of custom crossmembers being needed to lash down your cobbled transmission & transfer case.

And it'd still ride 6" off the ground.
I wanna hook a snow plow on that rig! With strobes. And a weld on hitch....flat towing a badass wrangler....true happiness.

It might do well, especially with a hopper on the back.

It'd tow a trailer nicely, and it's a long ways toward a custom camper as is, but the fuel economy would be terrible.
The 450 frame is beefy. I never dealt with the van front frame. The truck was actually nice! Front and rear. From the fuse boxes to everything is a completely different truck than a 350. I got excited about modern 450 and classic 90s 350 ...as a trailer hack for installs.

I guess any cutaway van chassis would have to be compared with a chassis cab to find the differences. It'd suck to buy something only to later learn that it was different from what you had in mind. MVI will have his 6WD minibus sorted before long.
The ram real deal cab and chassis might work. Fwd...the actual cab enclosed is rare. I was debating a few years ago

I didn't even mention the possibility of custom crossmembers being needed to lash down your cobbled transmission & transfer case.

And it'd still ride 6" off the ground.

2 or 3 hours with a welder and grinder and crossmembers are sorted. It's harder to bolt a big ass trans to a motor than it is to build the crossmember to hold it up. And a couple grand will sort out the driveshafts easy peasy.

I just bought the same model in a slightly different flavor (extended cab, 8' bed) in October. What front bumper is that?

Back
Top Bottom