What's new

TPI KTM/Husky/GasGas 2 stroke bikes

Nothin' but carbs here. I still wanna get one of these TPI's someday. Need to pay off that divorce first!
TBH you're not missing anything with the TPI. A well jetted carbureted smoker is still as good as it gets!

Next year will most likely be the end of TPI and KTM will move on to throttle body injection.

TBH you're not missing anything with the TPI. A well jetted carbureted smoker is still as good as it gets!

Next year will most likely be the end of TPI and KTM will move on to throttle body injection.
That's the rumor at least

That's the rumor at least

Yeah I just like the idea of FI in general. Everyone griped about it with the 4T's years ago too. FI 4T's blow away carbed ones IMO.

Yeah I just like the idea of FI in general. Everyone griped about it with the 4T's years ago too. FI 4T's blow away carbed ones IMO.

To be honest I'm not loving my 22-te300i yet. It's my 1st 2T and was expecting something different. Hoping it grows on me more once I get back out west in June.

To be honest I'm not loving my 22-te300i yet. It's my 1st 2T and was expecting something different. Hoping it grows on me more once I get back out west in June.
The 300tpi bikes lack the classic 2 stroke hit. They kind of remind me of a big trials bike. Having said that they still are 50 hp or so. So if you twist the grip to the throttle stop you’ll go fast.

The 300tpi bikes lack the classic 2 stroke hit. They kind of remind me of a big trials bike. Having said that they still are 50 hp or so. So if you twist the grip to the throttle stop you’ll go fast.
No question the power is there. I just guess I was looking for the hit to be different. But it's surprising how much that 25# makes a difference in feel from my 501. Lol.

I believe you ride a 501 too so our riding must be quite different. I love 250 2T's & 4T's for my riding. Been having fun on 200's for the last couple years. My last 300 was an 07 prolly 8 years ago or so. I will be surprised if that 300 doesn't grow on ya, but again, if not, that may be due to the different types of riding we do.

I believe you ride a 501 too so our riding must be quite different. I love 250 2T's & 4T's for my riding. Been having fun on 200's for the last couple years. My last 300 was an 07 prolly 8 years ago or so. I will be surprised if that 300 doesn't grow on ya, but again, if not, that may be due to the different types of riding we do.

That and skill level probably too.

Forget first gear unless you're pivoting up something. Start in 2nd, short shift, work the clutch. It's not as stable as the 501, but ignore the chatter and it's cool

h1d8B5k.jpg

They're fun bikes.

So far I've found there are three big differences on the 250 2t from my 450 4t. No engine breaking, lower weight and not stalling as easily when I'm on the brake or in something gnarly. I think if I had infinite dollars I'd have one of each - the 2t for single track in the woods and the 4t for anything more open.

Had the most eventful week with the 300.

We went north of the Arctic Circle for our annual swamp riding week.

There was plenty of this:

OIyayDr.jpg

...which then lead to this:

k2ERKyx.jpg

RJFdEtI.jpg

Too bad the week was cut short but I still got three good days of riding.

The cylinder is not that bad but it's done over 540 hours and I found a good deal on a new cylinder so I'll get the old one recoated and keep it as a spare.

LlHGVDH.jpg

Swapped the cylinder on Monday and been riding a couple of hours after that. Got that new bike feel again :D

For reference: the part number for the cylinder is different from -2019 to 2020+.

As far as I can tell the cylinders are practically identical. The only difference is that they moved the exhaust flap limit adjustment to the right side of the cylinder and there's a threaded hole for that which needs to be plugged with pre-2020 bikes.

fAW6nMX.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm nearing 600 hours on the TPI 300 and heard that the fuel pumps and/or regulators fail early on the TPIs which results in serious fuel pressure loss and catastrofic consequences.

So I decided that it's high time to check where we are now. The upper limit (specified by the factory) for the fuel pressure is 3.65 bar.

E31sv32.jpg

Bloody KTM :boid All that work for nothing :bash

Well I'm nearing 600 hours on the TPI 300 and heard that the fuel pumps and/or regulators fail early on the TPIs which results in serious fuel pressure loss and catastrofic consequences.

So I decided that it's high time to check where we are now. The upper limit (specified by the factory) for the fuel pressure is 3.65 bar.

E31sv32.jpg

Bloody KTM :boid All that work for nothing :bash

Very nice. If I wasn't having so much fun on my relic 200 I'd have to have me one of these.

Bringing home my first 2T..used, 8 hours / 157 miles, 2021 300XC-W TPI. After a brief test ride, it's seems spirited vs. my 500.
Gonna do some mods that will make it fit me better, clean it, become acquainted with it mechanically.
GRAB353.jpg

GRAB354.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh